• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Season 8 of How I Met Your Mother

In other news: My room mate's mom is getting us the 2nd season of American Horror Story. I know the stories of the seasons are independent but I feel dirty watching them out of order.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Watching Sharknado on blu-ray. Laughing my ass off. It's the kind of bad movie that only a creative genius could come up with.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Today, I saw Escape Plan...and it was the most literal title of the year. The whole movie really was about an escape plan, specifically from a prison. With the likes of both Stallone and Schwarzenegger, in their first movie together where they share top billing, this movie deserved more. Yes, I get it, the two leads are getting up there, but they're still in good shape, and so there's really not much excuse to not showcase some old-school Stallone/Schwarzenegger action set pieces. Now what the movie does have is good, but only in an '80s nostalgia throwback sort of way...and the rest of the movie is, for lack of a better word, BORRRIIIINNNNNGGGG.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I watched more of Les Miserables than the previous time. Man, oh man, how to describe this movie. Worse than Xanadu, and down below even the deepest layer of movie viewing Hell in which the torment of Grease and Moulin Rouge reside, Les Miserables is under that. Xanadu was at least a guilty pleasure, and it had a catchy soundtrack by ELO and Swan from The Warriors. Moulin Rouge had at least some kind of cinematic form to it even though it could only be appreciated when slowed down to like 3 FPS. Les Miserables was an insufferable mess. And God, Russell Crowe's "singing" is gonna haunt my ears for years to come. I'm in such a Hell right now that I almost could jump off a bridge...but then I'd be sharing the same fate as Russell Crowe's character in the "movie."

Somebody help me.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I watched more of Les Miserables than the previous time. Man, oh man, how to describe this movie. Worse than Xanadu, and down below even the deepest layer of movie viewing Hell in which the torment of Grease and Moulin Rouge reside, Les Miserables is under that. Xanadu was at least a guilty pleasure, and it had a catchy soundtrack by ELO and Swan from The Warriors. Moulin Rouge had at least some kind of cinematic form to it even though it could only be appreciated when slowed down to like 3 FPS. Les Miserables was an insufferable mess. And God, Russell Crowe's "singing" is gonna haunt my ears for years to come. I'm in such a Hell right now that I almost could jump off a bridge...but then I'd be sharing the same fate as Russell Crowe's character in the "movie."

Somebody help me.

I knew as soon as I saw the trailer starring Crowe that the film was a joke.
A cruel, cruel joke.

Whenever I see his "acting," I imagine him just thinking the whole time, "MEEEEEEEEEEEE. MEEEEEEEEEEEE."

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I knew as soon as I saw the trailer starring Crowe that the film was a joke.
A cruel, cruel joke.

Whenever I see his "acting," I imagine him just thinking the whole time, "MEEEEEEEEEEEE. MEEEEEEEEEEEE."

Alec Baldwin is a better singer than Russell Crowe. I hope you at least know that.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[video]http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/motivational-speaker/n10432[/video]

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I saw Ender's Game. It's so easy to write a child prodigy main character. All you have to do is write an incredibly stupid cast of supporting adult characters.

G

Ginkgo

I saw Ender's Game. It's so easy to write a child prodigy main character. All you have to do is write an incredibly stupid cast of supporting adult characters.

Agreed. But I still think it's bad form and insults the readers' intelligence to a point. I didn't detect it when I read the novels as a kid, but when I read Speaker for the Dead, it became evident that Card could no longer riff off the "super intelligent prodigy" angle when illustrating Ender as an adult. I suppose this also indicates that Card's main focus was never completely on the "prodigy" angle, but more on the "savior" angle and "children are the future" angle.

93JC

I watched 12 Angry Men last weekend. It was excellent. I had heard about it before (obviously?), just never taken the time to seek it out and watch it.

Being that it was originally a teleplay it reminded me of Dial M for Murder quite a bit. I'm not sure you could get away with that sort of filmmaking nowadays, which is lamentable. Other than a handful of scenes 12 Angry Men takes place within the confines of a single room, just as Dial M for Murder takes place mostly within the Wendice's apartment. It relies on great acting and clever dialogue, something you don't get very often anymore...

Coincidentally the guy who played 'Mark' in Dial M for Murder, Bob Cummings, played Juror #8 in the original CBS production of Twelve Angry Men. He was replaced by Henry Fonda of course, who also produced the film adaptation. A couple of the actors reprised their roles though; Joseph Sweeney played Juror #9 and George Voskovec played Juror #11 in both the '54 teleplay and '57 movie.

The cast was great. A bunch of excellent character actors. John Fiedler (better known as the voice of Piglet from the Winnie the Pooh cartoons), Jack Warden, Jack Klugman, Martin Balsam, Ed Begley (Sr.)... It would have been nothing without the cast.

P

Phantonym

The Intouchables. Excellent French movie about an unlikely friendship. Good story and great cast. I would highly recommend it.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I love that movie!!! Robert DeNiro was great as Al Capone. And Kevin Costner played, well, Kevin Costner.