• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

Mole

Permabanned
Imposter

I saw, "Imposter", last night. It purports to be about an American family who were fooled into thinking a French man was their lost child. And the family were presented as dumb and perhaps homicidal. But the reality was the French man was an accomplished confidence man who had carried out this confidence trick many times before.

It's easy to be fooled by a confidence trickster because we are able to trust most of the people most of the time, and the confidence trickster plays on our trust.

I mean, look around us, both astology and mbti are confidence tricks, yet we have day after day new people falling for them.

So I think the American family in, "Imposter", were deeply grieving the loss of their son, and this was exploited by the French confidence trickster.

Nicodemus

I saw, "Imposter", last night. It purports to be about an American family who were fooled into thinking a French man was their lost child. And the family were presented as dumb and perhaps homicidal. But the reality was the French man was an accomplished confidence man who had carried out this confidence trick many times before.

It's easy to be fooled by a confidence trickster because we are able to trust most of the people most of the time, and the confidence trickster plays on our trust.

I mean, look around us, both astology and mbti are confidence tricks, yet we have day after day new people falling for them.

So I think the American family in, "Imposter", were deeply grieving the loss of their son, and this was exploited by the French confidence trickster.
They were also dumb, though. It was screamingly obvious that he was someone else.

Mole

Permabanned
They were also dumb, though. It was screamingly obvious that he was someone else.

They had been searching and searching for years for their lost child, and here he was on the phone. They wanted him to be their lost child, he was even coached to be their lost child. And he was practised, for many time before he impersonated a lost child. It was the perfect storm - the grief, the loss, the longing perfectly met by the practised confidence man.

The movie itself though played a confidence trick on us. The movie appealed to our vanity, "How could they be so dumb", we thought, "We would never be that dumb. We are much brighter than they are".

And then the movie added injury to insult - and not content with parading the family to world as unbelievably dumb, they were paraded as murderers of their lost child. Even though there was no evidence whatsoever.

We were the ones subject to a confidence trick by this movie - we were made complicit in a cruel libel of this family. And how we kept saying to ourselves, "How dumb they are". But how dumb and cruel we are to be taken in by this shallow confidence trick of a movie.

Nicodemus

They had been searching and searching for years for their lost child, and here he was on the phone. They wanted him to be their lost child, he was even coached to be their lost child. And he was practised, for many time before he impersonated a lost child. It was the perfect storm - the grief, the loss, the longing perfectly met by the practised confidence man.

The movie itself though played a confidence trick on us. The movie appealed to our vanity, "How could they be so dumb", we thought, "We would never be that dumb. We are much brighter than they are".

And then the movie added injury to insult - and not content with parading the family to world as unbelievably dumb, they were paraded as murderers of their lost child. Even though there was no evidence whatsoever.

We were the ones subject to a confidence trick by this movie - we were made complicit in a cruel libel of this family. And how we kept saying to ourselves, "How dumb they are". But how dumb and cruel we are to be taken in by this shallow confidence trick of a movie.
Screamingly obvious! I don't share your view.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Saw Olympus Has Fallen. It's what the last Die Hard should have been. And there were some instances where the CG blood actually looked good.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
spring breakers

I liked it despite excessive ass n titties

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just got out of The Incredible Burt Wonderstone. Nowhere near as bad as Rotten Tomatoes says, and it was nice of Jim Carrey to play a character other than Jim Carrey.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Just blew through seasons 11 and 12 of The Apprentice. For shame, I know, but to be fair it's the only reality tv show I've ever really watched all the way through. At least I have this justification for my love of season 12, if anyone were to ask:

9c88ad5294de927617b631facfb7c0e759730679.jpg

The current season is fun, too, but a little low on hotness and drama.

Mole

Permabanned
A Woman in Berlin

I saw the movie, "A Woman in Berlin", the other day.

It is an extraordinary movie of the diary of a woman in Berlin as the Russians ravaged the city and the women.

The diary couldn't be published in Germany after the war, and had to be published anonymously in America to protect the German author.

It is a movie that demands to be seen.

To see the movie, "A Woman in Berlin", click on - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRTo2fr04nM

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There are certain things I enjoyed as a child, and looking back, I wondered, "Why the fuck did I like it?"

And then some things I never stopped enjoying: