• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

A

Anew Leaf

Some of my favorite scenes have been the conversations between Nucky and Rothstein.

Their verbal fencing is always one of the highlights of any episode it appears in.

I agree! I always look forward to their interactions a great deal. I loved that scene early in this season where they were playing pool. So many layers to what they say to each other, and the actors who play these characters are just fabulous.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I agree! I always look forward to their interactions a great deal. I loved that scene early in this season where they were playing pool. So many layers to what they say to each other, and the actors who play these characters are just fabulous.

To be honest that was the scene I was looking for on youtube.

To quote the scene:

"If you were going to be obvious, you would never be that obvious."

A

Anew Leaf

To be honest that was the scene I was looking for on youtube.

To quote the scene:

"If you were going to be obvious, you would never be that obvious."

:D I loved that line.

If they ever kill Rothstein off, I will be officially done with the show.

Michael Shannon is another highlight of the show... such a great actor. I hope they make him full on gangster soon.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
:D I loved that line.

If they ever kill Rothstein off, I will be officially done with the show.

Michael Shannon is another highlight of the show... such a great actor. I hope they make him full on gangster soon.

Many expect him to turn into the best gangster of the entire series.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I like Harrow a lot as well.

They better find someone to replace Slater, or I'm going to be pissed.

Nicodemus

I like Harrow a lot as well.

They better find someone to replace Slater, or I'm going to be pissed.
The way they recapped bits of previous episodes at the beginning of this last one, I thought Harrow would be Slater's replacement. At the end, was not so sure anymore.

A

Anew Leaf

They are in 1923 now. Rothstein dies in 1928.

*sobs* they should just have Rothstein take over the show as the main character.

The way they recapped bits of previous episodes at the beginning of this last one, I thought Harrow would be Slater's replacement. At the end, was not so sure anymore.

It shows how type 4 I am in that I primarily watched the show this season for the romance between him and Margaret.

I like Harrow... but I figure his newfound happy life is about to take a turn for the dead soon. Not necessarily him, but the girl most.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ugh. Dexter is making so many stupid decisions.

Also...

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
life of pi in 3d was insane.

I couldn't agree more. I saw it last night and I was like "Wow." Didn't think too much about the CG tiger though, it looked like a CG tiger that stuck out of the stunning beauty of the rest of the intentionally surrealistic CGI. The scenes at night were fucked up (in a good way) -- like the glowing fish in the ocean and also the whale sequence, and also the shot after the ship has sunk but its lights still glow underwater. I was kinda peeved at the couple of scenes where the aspect ratio is changed, however. In both cases, it seemed a little too gimmicky (especially with the in-your-face shots of the fish flipping over the black bars) which took way from the film's compelling nature.

Every year after Avatar, there seems to be one live-action 3D movie that makes excellent use of the technology as a means of telling the story, last year was Hugo and the year before it had TRON Legacy. And then, of course, there's guilty pleasure Final Destination 5.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd like to thank [MENTION=1592]Gish[/MENTION] for sharing this with me:

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i finally bit the bullet and watched all of game of thrones. well technically i fell asleep during maybe three episodes in the first season. i'd been avoiding it because i'm really not into the whole medieval era and honestly that was still offputting for me. it's just a type of nerdiness i can't deal with for whatever reason. but it was still pretty good. i like peter dinklage and the dragon mother.

Owlesque

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Skyfall. I thought it was pretty good considering I don't really watch Bond movies.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Feeling a bit of '90s nostalgia, I purchased three '90s movies on blu-ray.

Dante's Peak, a disaster movie, and Spawn and Johnny Mnemonic, movies that were disasters.

I only watched Spawn and the other two movies are eagerly awaiting to have the plastic removed off their cases. As for Spawn, I liked it when I was 13. Watching it at 27, I think to myself, "Why?" The production values were abysmal. And God, some of the CGI was bad even in 1997, particularly the Hell sequences. However, the animation of the Violator character (whose alter ego is played by John Leguizamo doing an over-the-top Danny DeVito Penguin impression (yes, that is possible)) was halfway decent, and Spawn's suit and flowing red cape remain pretty bad-ass...but my GOD!!! The only way I could sum this movie up is through a quote by Steve Buscemi in Armageddon; It's like Dr. Seuss' worst nightmare! Yes! That line sums up this movie.

And surprise, surprise. George Lucas' name is mentioned in the "special thanks to" credits. No wonder the film had so many Star Wars rip-offs, like Nicol Williamson (you may remember him as the guy who played the Nome King in Return to Oz) playing a poor man's Obi Wan Kenobi. Imagine if Lucasfilm became part of Disney back in '97! Satan would be Mickey Mouse!

The film was directed by Mark A.Z. Dippe, and surprise, surprise, it was his directorial debut. His previous films were as a visual effects artist and later supervisor for The Flintstones, Jurassic Park, Terminator 2, The Abyss, and others. Whenever a former visual effects supervisor gets behind a camera, we get John Bruno's Virus, Stefen Fangmeier's Eragon, Pitof's Catwoman, and the list goes on and on and on...(David Fincher, Michael Bay, and Joe Johnston are exempt because they were storyboard artists).

Spawn made absolutely no sense in many parts, and the scope was so ambitious and so little was done with it. It's hard telling which movie was worse, Spawn or the other epic [fail] superhero movie that came out the same year, Batman and Robin. At least the latter had better puns (oh yes, the puns in Spawn were far more obnoxious) and had a sense of style that was fun to look at, not to mention a smokin' hot Uma Thurman. Spawn is a decent concept owed to the comics on which it's based, and this is a movie that really deserves live-action a reboot...and make it a hardcore R this time, without the embarrassing fart jokes.

Reviews for Dante's Peak and Johnny Mnemonic coming soon...

Last edited:

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The 90's nostalgia continues.

The case of Dante's Peak jumped out of its plastic wrapping like the magma of a volcano. Speaking of which, this movie is about a volcano, and it stars Pierce Brosnan (you may know him from Mrs. Doubtfire and The Thomas Crown Affair) and Linda Hamilton.

This one didn't hold up too badly at all, which means I don't have much to write about it, but I'll do my best.

Maybe it might just be because I watched Spawn right before, but I thought the production values were excellent. And the depiction of the film's chaos was actually quite believable. There is some lovely miniature work and pretty matte paintings. And while watching the film, I completely forgot that Pierce Brosnan played James Bond, and his chemistry between the children in the movie is quite well indeed.

On the other hand, as is common with disaster movies, the characters often do really stupid things...some so stupid that it actually made me laugh. And the film is noted for the most awkward timing for a Wilhelm scream.

Dante's Peak may not be a masterpiece, but I found it to be somewhat believable and entertaining...which reminds me, what is that other movie about a volcano that came out the same year? Ah yes, it's called Volcano. I might have to get that one next time so I can compare it.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ugh. Dexter is making so many stupid decisions.

Also...

Frankly, I like Deb a whole helluva lot more than I like Hannah fuckin' McKay.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Frankly, I like Deb a whole helluva lot more than I like Hannah fuckin' McKay.
I do too! She's much more sympathetic, as well as better written and better acted.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I do too! She's much more sympathetic, as well as better written and better acted.

Couldn't agree more. I just think that Dexter has such flawed taste in women. :dont: