• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Saw The Amazing Spider-Man. I initially considered it a "Why?" movie, as in "Why even bother remaking a movie franchise that's just 10 years old?" And that's what it ended up being, except it was better than I expected it to be. It was good, not great, and certainly not amazing, especially when pitted against Spider-Man 2, which was a work of genius at the time.

The CGI for this outing is mostly pretty good, but nothing we haven't seen before. For a movie trying to be "gritty" and "realistic," because I guess that's the fad these days, it still felt like a cartoon. The filmmakers should've drawn from Batman Begins for inspiration on how to make an essentially preposterous storyline dark and gritty, not to mention masterful. And as is, The Amazing Spider-Man, despite clearly having no relation to Sam Raimi's universe, still manages to see little change. I don't understand why they couldn't just continue Raimi's universe with some of the same actors.

Which brings me to my next point, where Tobey Maguire was a better Peter Parker, Andrew Garfield is the better Spider-Man. I loved Garfield's smart-assed interpretation of Peter's alter ego, but he simply wasn't nerdy enough to be a good Peter Parker.

Special props go to James Horner's musical score though, which seems to plagiarize Danny Elfman's scores in both Raimi's Spider-Man films and others. Although I guess it's a step up from Horner's renowned self-plagiarizing.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I'm DVR'ing the Tour de France and the British F1 Grand Prix at Silverstone.

I'm watching Murray and Federer go at it in the finals at Wimbledon.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
La piel que habito (The Skin I Live In). Disturbing, suspenseful, filled to the brim with crazy people. Loved it, trés Almodóvar.

Nicodemus

Episode #3 of 'The Newsroom' was much better than last week's. But they should get rid of Emily Mortimer as soon as possible.

How did you like the last two episodes from your American perspective, [MENTION=6724]DiscoBiscuit[/MENTION]?

raindancing

actinomycetes
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just watched The Trip. SO FUNNY! I love this movie. Can't remember the last time I laughed so much... :D

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I saw Savages today. Pretty good. Nice and violent. Possibly Oliver Stone's best since Natural Born Killers, another excessively and deliciously violent picture.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Episode #3 of 'The Newsroom' was much better than last week's. But they should get rid of Emily Mortimer as soon as possible.

How did you like the last two episodes from your American perspective, [MENTION=6724]DiscoBiscuit[/MENTION]?

She is kind of one note.

Jeff Daniels and Sam Waterson have impressed me mightily. I'm interested to see where they take the show as it gets closer to real time.

Jeff's speech at the beginning was pretty good.

Edit - also the bit about the Tea Party getting co opted by the far right. That was really good and something that most people don't know or don't care about.

And this:

"The tea party is being radicalized and their original organizing principles, obliterated, and no one should be laughing anymore. They should be scared shitless. My party is being hijacked and its happening in real time."

Lastly and most importantly, the fact that it needs to be a republican pointing these things out.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Dick Van Dyke. I find this show hilarious, also I love lucy is coming on after, which is even funnier.

Nicodemus

She is kind of one note.
Her 'funny' scenes are unwatchable.

Jeff Daniels and Sam Waterson have impressed me mightily. I'm interested to see where they take the show as it gets closer to real time.
Agreement here.

Edit - also the bit about the Tea Party getting co opted by the far right. That was really good and something that most people don't know or don't care about.

And this:

"The tea party is being radicalized and their original organizing principles, obliterated, and no one should be laughing anymore. They should be scared shitless. My party is being hijacked and its happening in real time."

Lastly and most importantly, the fact that it needs to be a republican pointing these things out.
I expect they will use him the way they used Ainsley Hayes (Emily Procter) on 'The West Wing'.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just happened to catch this thing on TV regarding ''Alien Hand Syndrome''

[YOUTUBE="KEi3upJQijw"]My Hand is Killing Me[/YOUTUBE]

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Just happened to catch this thing on TV regarding ''Alien Hand Syndrome''

*Alien hand hi-five!!*

You may like the article I posted way back.

Decoding the Brain’s Cacophony
Profiles in Science | Michael S. Gazzaniga
By BENEDICT CAREY
October 31, 2011
The New York Times

I remember seeing experiments conducted on patients with corpus callosotomies, such as Dr. Gazzaniga pioneered, and being amazed. This was at the same time I also learned about the horror-film sounding condition, that can affect these patients, called autonomous or alien hand syndrome. I think this article and his body of work and findings is fascinating. Brain science, narration, interpretation of images, and responsibility - all things that I am very interested in, and hopefully others here are, too.

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ergo Proxy

You complete my fate
The world unwinds inside of me
You complete my fate
The halo crawls away
You repeat my fate
Rewinding all we can
You refill my place
You refill my place
Come and save me
Come and save me

You complete my fate
The heavens stroll inside of me
You repeat my fate
Revealing who we are
You refill my place
You refill my place
Come and save me

Believe in me
Drink the wine
Take my hand
Fill me up
Believe in me
Drink the wine
Take my hand
Let me follow

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I watched the king's speech. It was good though i fell asleep while watching it so i need to watch the rest this morning. right now i'm watching Rum Diary. Movies from vending machines for a dollar each is awesome!!

P

Phantonym

Re-watched Educating Rita.

Julie Walters is wonderful. I only wish I had similar kind of passion towards learning in an academic setting as portrayed by Rita.

Werewolfen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Fifth Gear Loop The Loop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiZoVAZGgsw&feature=related

With that well-built roll-cage, I'd give that a shot. Only one condition though, I'd want a governor put on the accelerator so it would top out at 36 mph, that way I'd be spot on in the needed speed without going over that speed with my foot fully pressing the pedal down and not falling under that speed as well.

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

i put a wig on you,
when you were sleeping,
i put a wig on you
ooh ooooh ooh
and i just laid there
and spooned you...

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Saw Savages last night.

It might not be for everyone, but I enjoyed it mightily.

savages-review.jpg