• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

Mole

Permabanned
The Duel

Last night I saw the movie, "The Duel", adapted from the 1891 novella by the famous Russian author, Anton Chekhov.

I saw it alone, completely alone, in a theatre in Manuka. There was only me, there was not even a projectionist, as it is all digital and automatic.

Space is the greatest luxury and I had all the space in the entire theatre to myself.

Space is the greatest luxury and is my reward for living in an upmarket suburb, where we have more space than we can shake a stick at, even at the movies.

Perhaps you might like to think of me as the spaceman, luxuriating in space.

They say hell is other people, while heaven is spacious.

Oh yes, "The Duel", is nicely realised on screen. And we can see that other people may lead to a duel, while ample space may lead to contentment.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
i'm going to be travelling and have been sorting out what shows
i want to watch with jock for the next few weeks. he's enjoying
breaking bad immensely, we're starting season 2 this sunday.
so we'll have season 3 & 4 to watch as well

also on the playlist:
homeland
boardwalk empire season 2
season 20 of survivor / or maybe an older season of amazing race

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I saw Prometheus. I cannot begin to describe what a mess it was, and I'm not going to waste time doing so. (Though the final scene put a smile on my face.)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I watched stand by me, excellent movie and it's as old as i am. and part of an episode of Midsomer Murders it was ok, but i wasn't really paying attention to be honest.

Nicodemus

HBO's 'John Adams'... Tomes could be written about the inadequacies of Paul Giamatti. He is virtually insufferable in this role.

Nicodemus

Yesterday I watched Mindwalk in one of my classes. I was expecting two hours of Liv Ullman playing the Philosophically Advanced Scandinavian Who Teaches Us All About Holism (a "magical Norse", if you will), but it was actually pretty solid for a movie that's basically a lecture with characters.
A script better suited to the stage than to film, but an extraordinarily intelligent one. Unfortunately, that kind of conversation, basically a wet dream, can very rarely be had. Thanks for mentioning it here.

If you understood the film, you got a glimpse of what I wanted you to get from the Rorty book I recommended a while ago.

John Heard's constant pointless quotations were pretty annoying, though. :/
Not pointless. Also, one can never have enough Blake.

How would you type Sonia?

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
A script better suited to the stage than to film, but an extraordinarily intelligent one. Unfortunately, that kind of conversation, basically a wet dream, can very rarely be had. Thanks for mentioning it here.

If you understood the film, you got a glimpse of what I wanted you to get from the Rorty book I recommended a while ago.

Not pointless. Also, one can never have enough Blake.

How would you type Sonia?

No idea - INFP 5w4, maybe? I do need to read more of that Rorty book...

Also, I found it kind of hilarious how much she looks like my teacher; there's something almost narcissistic about the movie selection, given that she's spent 80% of our classes parroting the same points about holism repeatedly instead of dedicating more time to how we should go about using references in our theses. At least I had the common sense of skipping the class where she shows a movie about this Japanese scientist who tries to prove water molecules are affected by mood. :wacko:

Nicodemus

No idea - INFP 5w4, maybe?
I am for INJ, leaning towards F. There is a massive amount of what is described as Ni around here.

I do need to read more of that Rorty book...
More than... nothing?

Also, I found it kind of hilarious how much she looks like my teacher; there's something almost narcissistic about the movie selection, given that she's spent 80% of our classes parroting the same points about holism repeatedly instead of dedicating more time to how we should go about using references in our theses. At least I had the common sense of skipping the class where she shows a movie about this Japanese scientist who tries to prove water molecules are affected by mood. :wacko:
What was that movie's title, and were there others?

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I am for INJ, leaning towards F. There is a massive amount of what is described as Ni around here.

Could be. It's a bit hard to separate the ideas from the person there... It's that kind of movie.

More than... nothing?

I... I read the intro! I just... This hasn't been a very productive semester for me, OK, Nic? :(

What was that movie's title, and were there others?

I don't know (Water, maybe?), but I do think the guy was Masaru Emoto. The fact that this theory was used in What the *Bleep* Do We Know? is, in itself, a warning sign to me.

Nicodemus

I... I read the intro! I just... This hasn't been a very productive semester for me, OK, Nic? :(
You don't owe me anything. If it doesn't interest you, don't read it.

I don't know (Water, maybe?), but I do think the guy was Masaru Emoto. The fact that this theory was used in What the *Bleep* Do We Know? is, in itself, a warning sign to me.
So, no other films?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
In New York I had the pleasure of seeing The Book of Mormon on broadway and I recommend it highly

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I rewatched Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. A classic. It would make an excellent Broadway musical.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Haywire
So Steven Soderbergh makes a Bourne-like action-thriller starring a non-actor MMA star (Gina Carano) in which it seems as if every Hollywood leading man of the last three decades wants to kill her (Channing Tatum, Michael Douglas, Antonio Banderas, Ewan McGregor, Michael Fassbender). The action and chase scenes are very good, Carano knows how to move like the athlete she is. I read some reviews that trashed her acting ability, but I thought she was adequate. It's true in the non-action scenes she's a bit stiff and lacks any sort of charisma. She also is 100x more comfortable sprinting down an alley than walking around in a dress. Thankfully most of the movie has her on the run. The reason they want her dead is flimsy, and I doubt I'll be able to remember the plot in six months, which is another weakness with the film. Still an enjoyable entry in this post-Ripley-Buffy world.
Recommended.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Haywire
So Steven Soderbergh makes a Bourne-like action-thriller starring a non-actor MMA star (Gina Carano) in which it seems as if every Hollywood leading man of the last three decades wants to kill her (Channing Tatum, Michael Douglas, Antonio Banderas, Ewan McGregor, Michael Fassbender). The action and chase scenes are very good, Carano knows how to move like the athlete she is. I read some reviews that trashed her acting ability, but I thought she was adequate. It's true in the non-action scenes she's a bit stiff and lacks any sort of charisma. She also is 100x more comfortable sprinting down an alley than walking around in a dress. Thankfully most of the movie has her on the run. The reason they want her dead is flimsy, and I doubt I'll be able to remember the plot in six months, which is another weakness with the film. Still an enjoyable entry in this post-Ripley-Buffy world.
Recommended.

I saw this one not to long ago (mostly out of my undying love for all things Fassbender). I left unsure how such a flat script could have attracted such incredible actors. To be fair, though, it had some pretty strong fight sequences, and I won't front like I wasn't entertained. I just felt it fizzled a bit.