• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

Elisius

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I just finished watching the anime Code GEASS, and it was incredibly good. The ending was exquisite, and while a couple bits were confusing and there were some unexplained things and maybe a plot hole, the overall story is unaffected by those issues. And the theme and style of the show's story are imaginative and deep.
I'm not usually a fan of anime in general, let alone the mecha subgenre thereof. But this, this was awesome. The soundtrack kept the emotions high and the fights intense. Characterization was always deep, with only three or four characters who didn't go through some kind of development at some point. As the story revolves around war, they managed to portray it in such a way that you always feel a sense of victory when the protagonist wins, and a sense of loss when civilians die.
Overall I recommend it, whether you're an anime fan or not.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I recently watched The Ides of March. Considering how many things can go wrong when making a movie about politics, I was pleasantly surprised by the nuance presented. :)

raindancing

actinomycetes
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Weeds season 5
And am so totally grossed out from the last episode. That image is burnt into my brain... *shudder* *gag* *puke* *too icky creepy want to rip all my skin off*

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Person of Interest!

I'm catching up on it; only saw the first five episodes and the finale. (My parents had to talk me through the billion characters in the finale that I didn't know. :laugh:) Now I'm filling out my knowledge!

Gish

Which side are you on?
MBTI Type
PTSD
Shouldn't this be in the entertainment subforum? Where there is already a thread that is basically the same thing?

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Black Rain
Into The Wild
Mars Volta DVD from 2002
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Water for Elephants
The Road
Gattaca
The English Patient

zoossii

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
5w4
The Barber of Siberia. Surprisingly good so far, and plays to my nostalgia of my days in the Former Soviet Union. (But damn, 3 hours long?!)

Ponyboy

Insert witty line here...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Hatfields & McCoys on the History Channel. Its pretty good :) Unfortunately the finale is tonight alongside Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals alongside the Celtics in the Conference Finals....what to do? what to do?

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Yesterday I watched Mindwalk in one of my classes. I was expecting two hours of Liv Ullman playing the Philosophically Advanced Scandinavian Who Teaches Us All About Holism (a "magical Norse", if you will), but it was actually pretty solid for a movie that's basically a lecture with characters.

John Heard's constant pointless quotations were pretty annoying, though. :/

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INTP friend recently showed me the film, Dancer In The Dark. Morbid/weird/good movie, I won't give the plot away. I'll pass the film along if anyone wants to watch it.

http://stagevu.com/video/qrsnspzildjm

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
jock and i just finished the first season of downton abbey.
starting the second season now.

breaking bad next.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
WhatDidYouGuysThinkOfIt?

SorryMySpaceBarIsCurrentlyBroken....

I love it. Thomas and O'brien are wonderful, it's juicy, and Maggie Smith is of course superb as the snipey british lady. Her sourpuss face is the best.

I initially thought Mr. Beeeeeehhhhhts was a nice counterbalance to some of the other characters but he wore out his welcome by the middle of the season. Self sacrificing to the point of straight up concealing truth. Infuriating character.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yesterday, I saw Snow White and the Huntsman. And I enjoyed it quite well. The visual effects and animation were amazing and the digital characters looked breathtakingly realistic, particularly my favorite CG creature, a troll. It was possibly the most realistic organic creature since the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park. And the dwarves, played by normal sized actors, including Bob Hoskins and Ian McShane, were also seamless.

In fact, my biggest complaint about the movie was the bizarre casting. Kristen Stewart would've fared much better as the Evil Queen, because she looks evil and is evil. She was certainly not the fairest in the land, for she didn't have blond hair and blue eyes. And Charlize Theron was also, for some reason, miscast, despite successfully playing villains before.

And why do the characters in fairy tale/fantasy film adaptations always have British accents? For God's sake, Snow White wasn't even a British fairy tale! And The Spiderwick Chronicles was one of the rare films of this genre to defy that convention, in which British actors played Americans.

Maybe Kristen Stewart is going for Oscar gold like Charlize Theron before her and needs to have a poor British accent added to her resume to reach the Holy Grail of acting.

Oh and yeah, Chris Hemsworth merely kissed Kristen Stewart's corpse in the movie, presumably to keep it at a PG-13.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Yesterday, I saw Snow White and the Huntsman. And I enjoyed it quite well. The visual effects and animation were amazing and the digital characters looked breathtakingly realistic, particularly my favorite CG creature, a troll. It was possibly the most realistic organic creature since the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park. And the dwarves, played by normal sized actors, including Bob Hoskins and Ian McShane, were also seamless.

In fact, my biggest complaint about the movie was the bizarre casting. Kristen Stewart would've fared much better as the Evil Queen, because she looks evil and is evil. She was certainly not the fairest in the land, for she didn't have blond hair and blue eyes. And Charlize Theron was also, for some reason, miscast, despite successfully playing villains before.

And why do the characters in fairy tale/fantasy film adaptations always have British accents? For God's sake, Snow White wasn't even a British fairy tale! And The Spiderwick Chronicles was one of the rare films of this genre to defy that convention, in which British actors played Americans.

Maybe Kristen Stewart is going for Oscar gold like Charlize Theron before her and needs to have a poor British accent added to her resume to reach the Holy Grail of acting.

Oh and yeah, Chris Hemsworth merely kissed Kristen Stewart's corpse in the movie, presumably to keep it at a PG-13.

Oh god, I saw this film against my better judgment. I would blame my sister, since she guilt-tripped me into going, but she ended up hating it more than I did (to the point that she wanted to walk out, but I hate doing that so we sat it out) so I think she got her fair punishment.

Anyway, this was the most hilariously terrible film I've seen in a while! I actually laughed through about 70% of it because (1) Charlize was a large ham extraordinaire, and not in a good way, (2) many, if not most, of the plot elements were illogical, (3) there were a LOT of drawn-out close-up shots of both the albino guy with the Lord Fauntleroy haircut and the dwarf with cataracts, which were very funny, (4) there were a lot of stolen homage shots from other films, making it kind of like a fantasy genre parody, and (5) the forest fairies looked like Gollum mixed with the Ferngully characters. The other 30% of the film was made up of boring scenes involving one or other character traipsing around in the woods.

In short, it was bad, but it did make me laugh. It was a true exercise in absurdity.