• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I've been following a few shows.

Currently halfway through the 3rd season of Battlestar Galactica.

Following these weekly:
- Eastbound and Down
- Archer
- Walking Dead
- New season of South Park
- Top Gear [UK] (although this season just wrapped up)

I'll catch up on Spartacus when the season is over.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Saw The Hunger Games, which was a glorified and overly dramatic version of The Running Man. This movie was a barrel of wasted potential that succumbed to some of the worst filmmaking cliches, including but not limited to:

• A shaky cam; seriously, home videos aren't this shaky. It does not make the film more realistic, it just makes it hard to watch. Besides, if I wanted a film to be realistic, I'll watch a documentary (and the cameras in documentaries don't shake half as much). Put the camera on a tripod or fire the epileptic cameraman.
  • The use of screen blurring effects and quick cuts during the more gory scenes in effort to remain under its PG-13 cloak.
  • A cliffhanger ending that probably won't be addressed again if a sequel is made.
  • A woman that thinks.
The film took itself so seriously that it refused to have a climactic bloodbath against the evil game show corporation in the third act in which the girl (with a bow and arrow) storms in and kills the CEO and his cronies single-handedly. I'm not going to pretend The Running Man was a masterpiece, but at least it knew what it was. The Hunger Games, by contrast, is too removed from its own reality to be anything but a deeply pretentious attempt to be pretentiously deep.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Saw The Hunger Games, which was a glorified and overly dramatic version of The Running Man. This movie was a barrel of wasted potential that succumbed to some of the worst filmmaking cliches, including but not limited to:

• A shaky cam; seriously, home videos aren't this shaky. It does not make the film more realistic, it just makes it hard to watch. Besides, if I wanted a film to be realistic, I'll watch a documentary (and the cameras in documentaries don't shake half as much). Put the camera on a tripod or fire the epileptic cameraman.
  • The use of screen blurring effects and quick cuts during the more gory scenes in effort to remain under its PG-13 cloak.
  • A cliffhanger ending that probably won't be addressed again if a sequel is made.
  • A woman that thinks.
The film took itself so seriously that it refused to have a climactic bloodbath against the evil game show corporation in the third act in which the girl (with a bow and arrow) storms in and kills the CEO and his cronies single-handedly. I'm not going to pretend The Running Man was a masterpiece, but at least it knew what it was. The Hunger Games, by contrast, is too removed from its own reality to be anything but a deeply pretentious attempt to be pretentiously deep.

It's a trilogy.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's a trilogy.

Which makes it even more of a glorified Running Man.

On a lighter note, the film made back its budget in its first week, so a sequel is imminent. Maybe we'll see a conclusion after all.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
41xdolUvXzL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses , Jesse Schells

few pages in, but fantastic book. can be applied to all disciplines.
wonderful exploration in human behaviour.

“The player and the game are real. The experience is imaginary - but game designers are judged by the quality of this imaginary thing because it is the reason people play games”

Jaguar

I've been considering seeing that one. Is it worth checking out?

"I'll do or say anything if I believe in it, but I have to believe in the cause."

Imagine the possibilities . . . when a person actually thinks like that.
You decide.

I ordered it on my TV. Do you have movies-on-demand with your cable provider?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I liked the Ides of March, just not as nearly as much as I thought I would have. (i.e., it was worth seeing, but I don't think I'll purchase it.) It was certainly a great cast.

Currently watching:

smash-nbc-key-art-large-324x480.jpg

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6

Great show with remarkable character development for one geared toward youths.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"I'll do or say anything if I believe in it, but I have to believe in the cause."

Imagine the possibilities . . . when a person actually thinks like that.
You decide.

I ordered it on my TV. Do you have movies-on-demand with your cable provider?

A person after my own heart. I have on-demand. I'll look into it. Thanks. :)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I bought Drive based on word-of-mouth. After watching it, I didn't know what to think of it.

A lot of it was very tedious, particularly the love story angle. But a lot of the death scenes were very bloody and unexpected, particularly when the recurring chick from Firefly gets her head blown off. And there was a well-choreographed car chase involving a Mustang.

Still, I've seen better car chases.

The film also had a neat soundtrack, I'll give it that.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I watched Equus last night. Very haunting, penetrating and superbly written/acted.

Richard Burton's glare is scary, man. :aquiver:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
season 3 of the big bang theory... been watching that since getting back from my parent's house! :holy:

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
An old Columbo episode, the one with the chess players.

url

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm still watching Once Upon a Time, although I'm not sure why sometimes. It has some interesting premises, but is too dumbed down for me to find it entirely enjoyable. I want so bad to like the damn show, why aren't they delivering? I mean, the evil queen/mayor even looks like the other Mother out of Coraline, for goodness sakes... let's let her cut loose!

evil-queen-mayor.jpg

coraline-other-mother.jpg

It's better than Terra Nova (which might be going down for the count after NetFlix bailed on talks) but not nearly as good as Person of Interest or AHS or Smash or New Girl. (New Girl is funny as hell, I laugh out loud for much of each episode... at least the ones I've managed to see.)

And Fables, which preceded it by some years (over in the graphic novel/comic industry, starting the ball rolling) just kicks its ass all over town; if you want to see some real treatment of fable characters, Willingham is writing a series that is probably his life's best work.

A

Anew Leaf

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh season 2 of Game of Thrones tonight PLUS new Mad Men?

:wizfreak:

time to make kale chips!