• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
watched moneyball last night, I'm not into sports but it was really good. and watched top chef, jersey shore, parks and recreation and 30 rock. and Roseanne on netflix. lol this is how I spend my time.

Moneyball is such a good movie, like Chana said. It's in vain, but I strongly recommend it to anyone who is interested in the subject of new ideas and the difficulty of implementing them in a system controlled by old thinking.

I agree. I didn't see Brad Pitt playing Billy Beane when I read the book but he is such a good actor and I have wanted him to do a sports movie for awhile. Even my baseball disliking ENFJ liked it. I promised him, you don't have to be a baseball fan at all to love this story.

Mole

Permabanned
Foreshadowing Marilyn

May I foreshadow a movie I am going to see tonight?

I am going to see, "My Week with Marilyn", yes Marilyn Munroe.

There is a life size triptych of Ms Munroe in the foyer but I can't help remembering that you could smell the child abuse on her breath and taste the suicide on her tongue.

Mole

Permabanned
The Horse Whisperer

I saw, "Buck", last night. And, "Buck", is the famous horse whisperer.

And as usual it gave an insight into American culture.

We had Hollywood royalty trot out the tiredest and oldest American cliche when he told us this was a true story and was authentic. And this is a bloke who has devoted his whole life to being phoney telling us how refreshing it is to discover someone authentic in front of him. I couldn't help remembering the old American saw, "In America, once you can fake sincerity, you've got it made".

Of course a movie stands or falls by whether it can suspend our disbelief. And when they fail artistically to suspend our disbelief, they tell us it is a true story full of authentic people, when it is just a failed work of art that they are flogging for business.

But the trops did not stop there. The tried and true trop of sin and redemption was trotted out. Only sin these days is child abuse, while redemption is recovery. And we saw a man in this whole movie recovering from his child abuse and recovering with horses.

And yet we watch these cliched movies as though our lives depended upon it, when really it is only the cash flow that is dependent.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Just watched the first episode of the new show "Awake," starring Lucius Malfoy himself, Jason Isaacs. The premise is that his character is in a terrible car accident, and when he wakes up, his wife is dead, and he's struggling to keep it together with his grieving son. But then other times he wakes up and the son is the one who died, and his wife survived. He has a job as a police detective, and he has two shrinks...and he's trying to figure out which of these two "lives" is real.

It doesn't premiere officially until March 1, but the first ep is already up on hulu. I thought it was a really strong first episode, and I'm already hooked! Now I have to wait a while for the second ep, though. Why do I do this to myself?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just watched The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (the new one with Daniel Craig) last night. It's one of the best movies I've seen in a while. Great action. Interesting plot. Really good acting - especially Rooney Mara. Kind of shocking and out there in certain ways. Not what I expected. Reminds me a little of La Femme Nikita.

I think Rooney Mara should win the academy award for that.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
x-post

I saw Star Wars I in 3D. I don't know if it's because I've seen it before several times and know when to ignore Jar Jar, but the 3D made it a lot more exciting.

Basically every criticism of the prequels is the exact criticism I have of anime: bad characterization, muddled plots, lots of eye candy to marvel at.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Spartacus Vengeance. It was awesome. :cool:

I watched the first episode of the new Spartacus season yesterday, which was pretty good...now watching Brigada.

Hell yeah, Spartacus! Though I'm not gonna lie: still not 100% sold on the new guy.

Most of the television shows I watch are admittedly pop garbage. You might check out Community while it's still on hiatus, though.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Rewatching this crudely animated 80's high school baseball anime called Touch. The characters feel like real people, the story progresses over their entire high school career, there are no freak out double takes, no tentacles or weird pervy stuff, no forced situational/misunderstanding based comedy. Take that, anime haters!

Mole

Permabanned
Marilyn Munroe and Human Sacrifice

I saw, "My Week with Marilyn", the other day, and I realised I was watching a human sacifice.

We all partook of Marilyn, we consumed her, just as we consume the human sacrifice of Jesus in Communion.

Marilyn Munroe was prepared for human sacrifice from her earliest years by sexual abuse by those she trusted and those who cared for her.

On the road to her final sacrifice, Marilyn was sacrificed to our most famous baseball player and our most famous playwright.

And as Marilyn moved towards her final sacrifice, Marilyn was sacrificed to the lusts of the Attorney General of the United States of America and his brother, the President of the United States of America.

Finally Marilyn was prepared for her final sacifice, and Marilyn didn't shirk, Marilyn took the poisoned soma and gave her all for us.

And Marilyn Munroe died with the smell of child abuse on her breath and the taste of suicide on her tongue, knowing her final sacrifice would make her immortal.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hell yeah, Spartacus! Though I'm not gonna lie: still not 100% sold on the new guy.

I agree, I mean he's good, but he lacks that sort of charm that Andy possessed, and more often than not I find myself imagining Andy in his role instead.

93JC

:dry:

I spent quite a while writing a very long, very nice post about the BBC series Sherlock detailing why I think it's so great but apparently the forum software disagrees, hence it proverbially 'ate' my post.

So, er, watch Sherlock if you ever get the chance, and fuck you very much vBulletin.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I went to the cinema with a good friend today and watched The Dangerous Method. I found it thought provoking and it inspired me to check out Otto Gross (Is he a xNFx E4 by any chance?). Has anyone read the book and watched the film? I want to know if the film has been glamourized for the big screen and to find out it isn't a true representation would annoy me slightly. Or i could just buy the book and find out myself.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Has anyone seen this show? I want to check it out!

[YOUTUBE="XbgUZFHb9QY"]Doomsday Preppers[/YOUTUBE]

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Basically every criticism of the prequels is the exact criticism I have of anime: bad characterization, muddled plots, lots of eye candy to marvel at.

I hate that so many people think this. The prequel trilogy may not have been made with the primary concern for plot and story and more for special effects and "eye candy", but overall, I think it did what it needed and was enough to make the story and characterizations coherent and genuine. The originals, in my opinion, had a very boring and somewhat cliché plot (you, saving the galaxy and all). I much more enjoyed the tragedy of Anakin's downfall in the prequels than Luke's conquest to save the galaxy.

And it's not like it's because I'm a "new-gen" or whatever. My dad is a huge original Star Wars fan, so I grew up watching the originals several times before watching the prequels. When I watched the prequels, I was amazed how much more I was drawn to the character of Anakin and the whole overall feel than the character of Luke and the overall feel to the originals.

Of course, I won't be surprised that you will probably say something about me being a naive Fi-user or whatever to discredit what I have to say.