• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
The Secret in Their Eyes (El secreto de sus ojos). Powerful. Passionate. Moving. Would recommend. :yes:

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
The Top Gear Armageddon special.

I believe they have invented the craziest form of racing ever - head to head with another, only the cars are radio controlled and you have to sit in the opponents car. I'm not sure whether it is genius or insanity.

Mae

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5sp
The Good Wife season premiere. Super crushin' on Will.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The two most recent films I saw in the theatre were the new Jane Eyre, and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. (I don't think the latter is out in North America until November or so).

Both fantastic, actually two of the best new films I've seen in ages (although I miss a lot of films as there isn't that much I find interesting). Jane Eyre couldn't have been more perfectly cast, especially Mia Wasikowska as Jane. (I adored Michael Fassbender as Rochester, but he definitely made Rochester a little nicer than in the book!!). Also beautifully filmed. Really moving.

I love John Le Carre and Tinker Tailor was brilliant. Incredible British cast including Gary Oldman, Colin Firth, Benedict Cumberbatch, John Hurt, Tom Hardy, etc. The 70s atmosphere was spot on and you certainly felt the bleakness and paranoia oozing off the screen. There were long stretches where the majority of the action was psychological (watching what's happening behind their eyes) and then there would be a quick and brutal act of violence; it was almost too real - you get the impression that spy work is a lot of psychological pressure, having to watch your colleagues/friends in case they're with the enemy too, and just very occasionally something really awful happening.

Also watching the fourth season of The Big Bang Theory as I just got the DVDs and hadn't seen it on TV. Very funny as usual.

KDude

The old sherlock holmes series from the 80s, with Jeremy Brett. I've seen the movies, but not all of the series.

He's the best Holmes there is.

That said, sometimes I turn it on and fall asleep. It's got a nice sedating quality to it, kind of like MASH or that beeping noise you hear in the background on old Star Trek episodes.

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The old sherlock holmes series from the 80s, with Jeremy Brett. I've seen the movies, but not all of the series.

He's the best Holmes there is.

That said, sometimes I turn it on and fall asleep. It's got a nice sedating quality to it, kind of like MASH or that beeping noise you hear in the background on old Star Trek episodes.

He is indeed the best Holmes there is. I was somewhat in love with him/Holmes in my teens. I cried for days when he died (I was 15).

Benedict Cumberbatch, who is the Holmes in the new "modern" series on the BBC, is brilliant, and probably my second favourite at this stage; but I don't see there ever being someone quite like JB. (Holmes as ENTP, I'd say.)

I never found it "sedating" but I think it could have that effect on me in a way because it's a comforting familiar thing from my younger years.

The ones from the 80s and some of the early 90s ones were superb (and both David Burke and Edward Hardwicke were wonderful Watsons - I was very sad when Hardwicke died recently.) They should perhaps have quit when the going was good though, as some of the mid-90s ones (not long before he died) were kind of weird for what they did with the stories, and also JB looked very ill and his acting got vaguer and unhappier.

KDude

Yeah, I thought he looked ill too.. Although, it kind of adds to Holmes' eccentricity and self-destructive behavior.

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, I thought he looked ill too.. Although, it kind of adds to Holmes' eccentricity and self-destructive behavior.

True. I thought the eccentricity got out of control in some of those later episodes. It's been a long time since I watched most of them though. I think I might find it a bit painful and emotional as he died not that much later.

Some of my fav episodes were The Red-Headed League, The Blue Carbuncle, The Empty House, The Sign of Four, The Second Stain, The Six Napoleons, The Devil's Foot. To name but a few!

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
Last night I watched Bull Durham. The reason I watched Bull Durham is that I wanted to see a really highly acclaimed film about baseball. The movie was disappointing. It is a sports comedy, but I think I only managed to laugh a few times. The entire movie could have ended after Kevin Costner gave a list of things he believed in about 1/3rd of the way through the film. Nothing funny happened after that.

I wish I had never watched it. Waste of time

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A movie about INTJs:

A cinematic masterpiece from the director of Battlefield Earth.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I went on a shopping spree, and in addition to buying the PC version of Rage, which is glitchy as hell -- I'll have to wait for a patch or a driver update -- I also bought Scream 4 and Fast Five.

Saw them both in the theater and enjoyed them both.

Scream 4 was every bit as clever as the first one; in fact the only gripe I had with it was
but other than that, I continue to enjoy the horror movie satire.

As for Fast Five, I will admit that I enjoyed all the other movies, with the possible exception of Fast and the Furous: Tokyo Drift, which takes place after all the others in the Fast and the Furious timeline. What was interesting about Fast Five was its surprisingly well-done character development, given the kind of movie it was. There are also surprisingly few action sequences, also, but the film manages to still be entertaining with the chemistry between characters. And the final car chase was epic -- absurd, but epic.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Un cuento chino. Very tender, I hope it becomes available in English-speaking countries as well. :yes:

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was torn between seeing The Human Centipede 2 and Real Steel.

I haven't found any little independent movie theaters in town showing Human Centipede 2, so I couldn't possibly see it on a big screen. I was very upset.

But after pouting and whining for a little whle, I decided to go with Plan B, Real Steel. I didn't really anticipate this movie; from the trailers, it looked like a subplot for Transformers, and I wasn't very interested.

But I went to see it anyway, and it was quite entertaining, but in the end, it was just a boxing movie with robots. There was nothing any more science fiction about the premise than that, and I felt it was unnecessary. But still, it was entertaining, to say the least.

On a humorous note, I noticed the ads in the various arenas was for an Xbox 720... Does anyone really think that Microsoft's next console will actually be called that?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was torn between seeing The Human Centipede 2 and Real Steel.

I haven't found any little independent movie theaters in town showing Human Centipede 2, so I couldn't possibly see it on a big screen. I was very upset.

I heard they gave barf bags out at the critic/convention screenings, and one critic said it was not a movie you needed to actually go see to know for sure that you wish you hadn't seen it. Lol. The first was dreadful; the consensus on this one was that it was purposefully done as over the top as possible as a slap on those who liked the first one. (Now I'm actually a little curious; I'm not sure how it could be more over the top than the first one was. Oh yeah, dating advice here: The Human Centipede is not a chick flick. Just thought you should know. :alttongue:)

But after pouting and whining for a little whle, I decided to go with Plan B, Real Steel. I didn't really anticipate this movie; from the trailers, it looked like a subplot for Transformers, and I wasn't very interested.

But I went to see it anyway, and it was quite entertaining, but in the end, it was just a boxing movie with robots. There was nothing any more science fiction about the premise than that, and I felt it was unnecessary. But still, it was entertaining, to say the least.

That's cool. I bought The Prestige on BluRay and got a free pass to see this movie; I probably wouldn't have paid to see it otherwise, but I'll go since it looks at least average, and has Hugh Jackman and Evangeline Lily in it.

Saw Drive last weekend. I liked it overall, but not much happens in it. It's basically kind of "flat" emotionally, though, like Ronin or Heat -- just kind of verbatim, stark, as-is, the story tells itself and the director does not try to manipulate. A "clean" movie that way. Ron Perlman played a complete creep, and Albert Brooks is definitely not Mr. Nice Grandpa, although he's more respectable than Perlman. Bryan Cransten plays his part very well and adds some nuance to the character; I originally knew him from Malcolm in the Middle but I've really grown to respect him as an actor, he's versatile. Gosling of course is playing the quiet type with a lot going on inside; he does it well here, coming across as a gentle warm guy who at the same time can be completely cold-hearted and ruthless, if the situation demands it, as if he were cut from the cloth of Shane. I just wonder what else he can do.

I'd like to see 50/50 as well as The Ides of March, while they're in the theater.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I heard they gave barf bags out at the critic/convention screenings, and one critic said it was not a movie you needed to actually go see to know for sure that you wish you hadn't seen it. Lol. The first was dreadful; the consensus on this one was that it was purposefully done as over the top as possible as a slap on those who liked the first one. (Now I'm actually a little curious; I'm not sure how it could be more over the top than the first one was. Oh yeah, dating advice here: The Human Centipede is not a chick flick. Just thought you should know.

The first movie is the kind of movie I want to show my mother just to see the look on her face. The second one looks like it's gonna be more of a gore fest, which is okay by me. I enjoy trash.

The second movie is also apparently banned in the UK and reportedly cut for the US. Ouch.

Anyway, here are Roger Ebert's reviews of The Human Centipede and The Human Centipede 2

The only other movies I know of that he gave zero stars were both versions of I Spit on Your Grave and North, a very unpleasant family movie with a prepubescent Elijah Wood, directed by Rob Reiner. Don't know if anyone remembers it. I remember it because my grandmother took me to see it when I was young, and I distinctly remember not being amused by it then.

To be honest, the original I Spit on Your Grave was an unpleasant viewing experience for me, too. Mostly because I found it boring. Haven't seen the remake, though.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The first movie is the kind of movie I want to show my mother just to see the look on her face. The second one looks like it's gonna be more of a gore fest, which is okay by me. I enjoy trash.

I actually liked the Saw movie series, but it was more than gore. I can handle gore fine, if it's in service to something else. I just get bored (if not grossed out) by gore for gore's sake.

The second movie is also apparently banned in the UK and reportedly cut for the US. Ouch.

Yeah, I heard that the UK banned it. That is pretty bad.

Anyway, here are Roger Ebert's reviews of The Human Centipede and The Human Centipede 2

The only other movies I know of that he gave zero stars were both versions of I Spit on Your Grave and North, a very unpleasant family movie with a prepubescent Elijah Wood, directed by Rob Reiner. Don't know if anyone remembers it. I remember it because my grandmother took me to see it when I was young, and I distinctly remember not being amused by it then.

ROFL! I didn't even know Ebert tried to watch these two movies. THat's pretty bad; he's willing to even give 1/2 stars if necessary, so a 0 from him is pretty definitive of his opinion. It's rather hilarious he gave a 0 to a Rob Reiner movie; it must have been a REAL dog.

To be honest, the original I Spit on Your Grave was an unpleasant viewing experience for me, too. Mostly because I found it boring. Haven't seen the remake, though.

Never saw it; I just remember that Bloom County's Steve Dallas tried to take a date to see it once; the relationship didn't work out.

EDIT: Here's the first paragraph of Ebert's review of "THe Human Centipede":

It's not death itself that's so bad. It's what you might have to go through to get there. No horror film I've seen inflicts more terrible things on its victims than “The Human Centipede.” You would have to be very brave to choose this ordeal over simply being murdered. Maybe you'd need to also be insane....

Maybe the movie wasn't that bad at all... at least I'm getting a few laughs from reading Ebert's review of it!

EDIT 2: Another great quote:
Tom Six is apparently the director's real name. I learn his favorite actor is Klaus Kinski, he is an AK-47 enthusiast, and wears RAF sunglasses and Panama hats. Not the kind of guy you want to share your seat on a Ferris wheel. He has said, “I get a rash from too much political correctness.” I promise you that after this movie, his skin was smooth as a Gerber baby's.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I wish I was watching The Walking Dead, but we cancelled cable, so I'll have to wait.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Just watched Chinatown this weekend. Noir isn't usually my genre of choice, but I think this movie highlights its appeal very much, besides being pretty awesome in itself. :yes:

Still, I expected more of it would be set in Chinatown. I feel swindled. :dry:

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Megan Is Missing

This film was tedious and even if I hadn't wasted 4.99$ -sans tax- on it, I still would've considered it a waste of my time. Many supposed horror fanatics raved about how disturbing it was on Tumblr of all places, so I should have known it'd be nothing of the sort. 0/10