• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Pixar Short Films vol 1-it's interesting to watch how the animation evolved from the 80s til now.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Made: The Movie

I liked it a lot.

It was on MTV. I only got to catch an hour of it, unfortunately. That seems to have been its sole airing.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Last night I watched Rules of the Game (1939) and today I watched Date Night, which I expected to blow but was hilar. Esp the scene where they go into Claw pretending to be snobs. :laugh:

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Book of Eli (2010)- So it probably didn't need watching to ascertain, but it SUCKED. (My friend *loves* Denzel Washington.) So boring I feel asleep twice.

Mole

Permabanned
The Adjustment Bureau

I saw the movie, "The Adjustment Bureau". It is a delightful romance against a mytho-poetic background.

And the Yankees should feel right at home with the background as it is the mytho-poetics of protestantism and protestant values that are taken for granted in the USA.

And what is amazing is that these values are sincerly held by millions of Yankees. So much so they infuse popular culture. And so much so they export their values to the rest of the world.

They adjust us.

Last edited:

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Exit Through the Gift Shop

[YOUTUBE="oHJBdDSTbLw"]Exit Through the Gift Shop[/YOUTUBE]

This film is not yet rated

[YOUTUBE="dDqxuGlxbWc"]This film is not yet rated[/YOUTUBE]

Street Fight

[YOUTUBE="R8jtAASYdLw"]Street Fight[/YOUTUBE]

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
Book of Eli (2010)- So it probably didn't need watching to ascertain, but it SUCKED. (My friend *loves* Denzel Washington.) So boring I feel asleep twice.

Thats one of my favorite movies, actually. Love it.

I saw The Adjustment Bureau on Saturday. I thought it was fantastic.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:laugh: we'd thought that Date Night would be lame as well, but ended up laughing a lot while watching it...

and just finished watching Exam, which I would say is definitley worth watching, though I don't think that I can really describe it without giving much away... 8 people of different backgrounds put in a room with 80 minutes to complete an exam to be hired into a top pharmaceutical company as the assistant to the new president- but they aren't certain what the question is...

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
I finally got around to watching The Fighter with Mark Wahlberg and and Christian Bale. I felt that it was decent, but it didn't quite live up to the hype I had heard about it. It felt a little bit slow, repetitive and predictable at times. But overall it was a decent movie.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I finally got around to watching The Fighter with Mark Wahlberg and and Christian Bale. I felt that it was decent, but it didn't quite live up to the hype I had heard about it. It felt a little bit slow, repetitive and predictable at times. But overall it was a decent movie.

I need to see this soon. I heart Mark Wahlberg, and this does look like a good film.

Need to see The Adjustment Bureau, too. We watched Megamind the other night. It was pretty cute. :shrug:

Mole

Permabanned
Limitless

I saw the movie, "Limitless", last night.

It is a movie about amphetamine use translated into the American Dream.

The American Dream does look wonderful on screen, but I can't help feeling it betrays the viewers.

The movie does describe many of the features of amphetamine use, but in the end amphetamine use is just another way of realising the American Dream.

Apparently the American Dream can be applied to anything, even something as damaging as amphetamine use.

I am grateful we haven't been indocrinated with the American Dream, and can look at it with a sceptical eye.

But what about all those American dreamers?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Need to see The Adjustment Bureau, too. We watched Megamind the other night. It was pretty cute. :shrug:

I saw Megamind 3D in the theater, it was pretty cool, and was a bit more serious than Despicable Me. (Both were enjoyable.)

Last night I watched "While You Were Sleeping" (with Sandra Bullock), and right now I'm watching Braveheart on Bluray.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
Oh man, Despicable Me was awesome. I can't explain how much I love that movie. And I highly approve of the Braveheart choice.

Mole

Permabanned
I am amazed that movies are a popular culture we all share.

We don't share our religious beliefs. We don't share our political beliefs. And we don't even share our sexual beliefs, but we do share the movies.

All we are looking at is a flat screen in a large dark room, and as we suspend our disbelief, we enter fully into the movie.

It's magical.

Mole

Permabanned
Piety

MOVIE TRANCE?!!?!?!

Of course the movies do entrance us. They take our attention and narrow it down to the screen and put us into a lovely trance where our critical faculties are quietly asleep and our disbelief is suspended.

If we stand in front of the screen and look back at the audience, we see they are all agog at the screen, in a state of suspended animation with the suspension of disbelief, believing everything they see as if it were true.

And what is amazing is that this supension occurs from Nairobi to Canberra and from Atlanta to Tokyo. We might say this is a universal suspension.

For instance, religions are not a universal suspension, they are limited by geography.

There are three 'theatres' at Manuka where I live, the Catholic Cathedral, the Anglican Cathedral and the movie theatres, all six. And it is only the movie theatres that are appreciated by all.

So I think it is fair to say, that just as we suspend our disbelief on Central and we suspend our disbelief at the movies, we are engaging in acts of worship both at Central and at the movies.

And look, look how pious we are.

Nicodemus

For instance, religions are not a universal suspension, they are limited by geography.
Just as movies are limited by theaters and tastes. Different geographic regions have different religions, as different audiences suspend their disbelief in the face of different movies; but as they all watch movies, they all have religions.