• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Another x-post w/ INTPc.

Into the Wild
I recommend the book to INTPs with a bit of trepidation. Perhaps someone will take it too seriously and run off and get themselves killed like Christopher McCandleless did, and I might feel bad for a whole half hour. As excellent as the book was, I wasn't sure if a movie could capture the entire why of what happened. Thankfully, Sean Penn obviously directed this out of respect and love (he waited 10 years to do it), capturing all the beauty of the West and the inspirational (yet stupidly tragic) journey McCandleless took to find himself. I like to think he did.
Highly Recommended.

The Haunting in Connecticut
Not bad for a scary movie, but not classic either.
Recommended for horror fans.

An Education
Recommended to me by some person I cannot remember, this film was based on an autobiographical essay by a woman, directed by a woman, and the lead actress (Carey Mulligan) was nominated for an Oscar. Nearly all women in crucial roles, except the screenplay was written by Nick Hornby. Most well-known for his immature men (High Fidelity, About a Boy) he managed to get this teenaged girl and her yearning for a life filled with French music, art, beauty, and meaning. Her goal when we meet her in the early '60s is to read literature at Oxford, but why this is a goal she cannot really say. In the end she is expected to marry a respectable husband or become a schoolteacher. Her yearnings for more than this lead her to become involved in an affair with an older con man (Peter Sarsgaard) who can take her on trips to Paris and art auctions. Today, an affair like this would be bad enough, but back in 1961, it could effectively ruin a woman's life. You can see the disaster looming, but unlike Hornby's manchildren, this girl has not only smarts but a drive and will to not meekly accept whatever society has in mind for her. She will learn from her "education" if it doesn't destroy her.
Highly Recommended.

Zombieland
The best zombie movie made since George Romero's first. Except for the obvious inspiration: Shaun of the Dead. Someone should write a paper on this - an American roadtrip w/ big cars and big guns vs. two guys who want to go to the pub. More comedy than horror, which is fine by me since zombies don't really scare me, they just gross me out. The surprise cameo was the only misstep.
Recommended.

mr.awesome

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
imaginarium of doctor parnassus
a little whimsical for my tastes.. seemed sort of pretentious or i need to watch it again. it defiantly was a heavy hitter for 'meaning of life' kind of film, making deals with the devil and such.. overall i enjoyed it. to be honest i just rented it because it was heath ledgers last. and he did a great job as usual. such a shame his passing :[
good film, but its defiantly not my genre.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I enjoyed Gaslight.

I teased my boyfriend (a movie collector with a weakness for classics) that he was gaslighting me the other day, and he asked me what that meant, and I told him we should buy the movie. Since I'm no movie snob (I will tell that anyone I thoroughly loved It's Complicated), he doubted a movie I'd recommended would be any good, but it turned out to be one of his favorite movies of all time. :D

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Kick Ass
The trailers i saw for this made it look extremely corny. It was much better than expected. Funny, a bit vulgar, and violent.

TiMER
I liked the concept of this movie. Sci Fi Romantic Comedy about timers that count down to the moment you meet your soul mate. I would say it's a love/hate film.

Repo Men
I was expecting a run-of-the-mill action film, some bad spin off. I actually really enjoyed it and didn't find it to be too typical. There were some cliche moments and some oddly powerful ones, as well.

Lark

I'm watching lost in translation, I think its a very under stated work of genius, everything about it, not just the acting and plot but the camera work, its also about so many different things all at once.

Somehow I think its about confounded expectations, the loneliness of some peoples lives and getting older too, as a result its also perfectly cast too. The people involved are successful, married, prosperous, they arent alone but in another way they are very much alone.

N

NPcomplete

I just finished watching "Ink".

The movie wasn't too straightforward at the beginning and some deductions had to be made. I enjoyed the plot and the way different scenes were filmed to indicate with parts of "reality" they were part of.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The first 4 or 5 episodes of that show on the Discovery Channel called "Colony", awesome show! Makes me want to learn more survival skills for sure...

"What would you do in the wake of a global catastrophe? Even if you survived it, could you survive the aftermath?

Season Two of THE COLONY introduces viewers to a new group of volunteers with differing backgrounds, skills and personalities, to bear witness to how these colonists will survive."

[youtube="IOKO19BMPKk"]The Colony[/youtube]

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Two John Cassavetes films: Opening Night and A Woman Under the Influence.

Gena Rowlands is a goddess.

InTheFlesh

Enneagram
CFV
I watched the second half of The Wall by Pink Floyd and a good amount of King Of The Hill today.
Tomorrow, I'm watching Tommy by The Who for the first time:D

MBTI Type
ESFJ
A Serbian Film
I'd give this movie a one out of five stars. There's nothing new or disturbing in this film, just a bunch of hype.

vilijaba

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I'm watching lost in translation, I think its a very under stated work of genius, everything about it, not just the acting and plot but the camera work, its also about so many different things all at once.

Somehow I think its about confounded expectations, the loneliness of some peoples lives and getting older too, as a result its also perfectly cast too. The people involved are successful, married, prosperous, they arent alone but in another way they are very much alone.

The first time I saw Lost In Translation I couldn't understand what's so great about this movie because I almost fell asleep. After a while I watched it again and was surprised by how much it reminded me of what I'd been through. I actually felt loneliness and misery of Charlotte (Scarlett Johansson). I think I've already watched Lost In Translation four times but I'd watch it again and again.

Hable con ella aka Talk To Her. It's probably the greatest film I saw this summer. It tells a story of two unlucky men who accidentally become close friends and share their life stories. Obviously, it's women who play the main roles in their lives. I like the soft atmosphere, the Spanish music, the dances, the spirit of black and white movies more than the plot itself. I highly recommend Hable con ella to everyone who's tired of Hollywood.

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. The legendary film by Milos Forman. The story's about a guy who goes to a mental institution insted of prison. He's eager to make a change in those who are publically regarded as crazy by putting himself in danger. Although it's a great film, the original book by Ken Kesey is way better. It gives more details and explains everything clearly, therefore it's more convincing than the film.

Un long dimanche de fiançailles aka A Very Long Engagement. A simply beautiful French film with Audrey Tatou in the leading role. The story takes place in France during the period of the First World War. A girl is informed that her lover had died in the no-man's land but she doesn't believe it and puts her effort to find him. Un long dimanche de fiançailles is another masterpiece of Jean-Pierre Jeunet, the director of Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain aka Amélie, which has been my favourite film for years.

Ingrid in grids

I'm hooked on Life (the BBC series). I just watched number 5 - "Birds".

IT'S BLOWING MY MIND!

My favourite was the part on the Vogelkop Bowerbird.

Here's some pictures of what these aesthetic little guys come up with.
bower.JPG

b00js8cz_640_360.jpg

Source: Wikipedia said:
The bower is a cone-shaped hut-like structure some 100 cm high and 160 cm in diameter, with an entrance usually propped up by two column-like sticks. A front "lawn" of some square meters area is cleaned of debris and laid out with moss. On this, and in the entrance of the bower, decorations such as colourful flowers or fruit, shining beetle elytra, dead leaves and other conspicuous objects are collected and artistically arranged.
Males go to great lengths to ensure that their displays are in prime condition, replacing old items as needed, as well as trying to outdo their neighbours by finding more spectacular decorations, and arranging them appropriately. As opposed to other species of bowerbirds, such as the Satin Bowerbird, there is no fixed preference for items of a certain colour, more important being the "novelty value" of the items instead, which can lead to fashion-like trends if males find rare or unusual items; such rare finds are prime targets for theft by neighboring males. Females visit bowers and, depending on whether they like the "treasure trove" on display, will mate with the attendant males. The bower, indeed the male, play no part in nesting and raising the young.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
[YOUTUBE="F_7b3kzWzg8"]Unthinkable[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="S3XzUYd6nrU"]Inception[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="UHl-6uH8MUQ"]Charlie Wilson's War[/YOUTUBE]

Lark

The first time I saw Lost In Translation I couldn't understand what's so great about this movie because I almost fell asleep. After a while I watched it again and was surprised by how much it reminded me of what I'd been through. I actually felt loneliness and misery of Charlotte (Scarlett Johansson). I think I've already watched Lost In Translation four times but I'd watch it again and again.

I've got a bit of a crush on Scarlett Johansson so seeing her walk around in her underwear or the shot of her butt at the beginning wasnt the worst thing ever. Part of what I think is so great about this film is that at different times different aspects of it have appealled to me, at one time I'll watch it and its the loneliness and heartbreak of Johansson's character which resonates the most at other times (like presently) its Bill Murray's character, his faded grandeur, estrangement from family and quiet disillusionment as he gets older are the most striking.

It's funny because a lot of young people I know and even most of the people in my own age group consider it Johansson's movie when its actually Murray on the box and Murray who features the most throughout the movie. While they are different age groups I kind of think that both characters are experiencing a lot of things in common.

There is a cultural aspect too I think, they are all outsiders in Japan, its one of the few movies, I'm told by friends, which really gets the experience of being a westerner in Japan for any length of time correct.

It's one of the few human interest films which I think manages to do a convincing portrayal of how life really is, just enough happening to keep you interested but not a lot of drama and crisis.

Snoopy22

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Machete (2010) - (Short version) Hilarious blood feast with a lot of well-known actors, anxiously awaiting Machete kills and Machete kills again.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Just got done watching a crazy science fiction movie about clones called "Moon", starring Keving Spacey. Pretty awesome movie...

[YOUTUBE="twuScTcDP_Q"]Moon[/YOUTUBE]

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8O_Ot-wCIg"]Documentary film ReindeerSpotting is a documentary film of a group of young guys living in Rovaniemi Finland, Arctic Circle, dabbling in petty crime and hard drugs. One of them, Jani, has lost five years of his life and two fingers to his debotators. He wants to leave Lapland and his old life behind. Robbing a supermarket is a start for his getaway. A few years back a documentarist, Joonas Neuvonen, was a young men living on social welfare, using drugs on daily basis. He started to film his friends and their life. This is the story of Jani.[/YOUTUBE]

hmmm. dunno really what to say about this. i bet its a real eye opener for people who has no idea about this kind of stuff and to people who think they do know. i think every kid(maybe not too young) and young adults should see this movie and im sure this would keep atleast few out of hard drugs. Jani died in july.

i think you might be able to get this with english subtitles at some point since they made trailer with english subtitles also..

to people who didnt get it, everything on the film is real, this happened around 2003

Idec Sdawkminn

MBTI Type
EPIC
Last thing I watched was Terminator 2. It was my second time seeing it, but I didn't remember much of it. I watched the first one for the first time a couple nights ago. Still haven't seen the 3rd or 4th one. The second one reminded me of the hotel scene in Hellsing Ultimate. Man, I love that show.

[YOUTUBE=0i2P1KYpGHk]YouTube - Hellsing Ultimate ep 3 (4/5)[/YOUTUBE]