• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

Daedalus

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I watched Agora. I liked it. It's among the kinds of movies that make me feel ashamed for being a human as they keep on letting themselves be poisoned by ideas of superiority. It's almost a confirmation that nothing ever changes.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvwN0DCQEiw&feature=related"]Agora[/YOUTUBE]

This movie seems awesome! Ive never heard of this before, but would definitely watch it!

burning a library is a crime that's on par with genocide.
Thanks for posting it

The movie i saw last was "The Fourth Kind". It's Really good; and touches on some ideas ive been entertaining for some time.

YouTube - 'The Fourth Kind' Trailer HD

Talisyn

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9-1
The Road

Just watched "The Road" last night.
It wasn't what I was expecting (I guess I was expecting more action, having never read the book)
but I loved it nonetheless.
It examines the question of what it means to be human, is life worth living just to live, is it sacred even when there is no hope... All while following 2 unnamed characters- a father and 10 or so year old son- as they try to make there way in a dying post-apocalyptic world. The whole point is to head South in hopes that it is warmer, find food, and avoid cannibals. Its good. A suggestion, if you have movie influenced dreams and have children don't watch it before bed!

Mole

Permabanned
Animal Kingdom

I just seen an Australian movie called, "Animal Kingdom". It's about a family of bank robbers and murderers set in Melbourne.

And it is not glamourised one little bit. And the characterisation is excellent.

And it is actually based on a true story that happened recently, so we were all glued to our seats.

It gave us all quite a lot to think about.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Mr. Nobody
I can't describe it. Simply that i enjoyed it and will definitely need to watch it again for it to soak in.

mr.awesome

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Candy

Candy.
unbearable.
holy shit.
ive never actually willfully looked away from a movie, no matter how terrible, gory, emotional, whatever. this movie broke that record for me.
:sad:

P

Phantonym

A Serious Man

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FYtprwg1As"]Trailer[/YOUTUBE]

Peculiar.

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Candy.
unbearable.
holy shit.
ive never actually willfully looked away from a movie, no matter how terrible, gory, emotional, whatever. this movie broke that record for me.
:sad:

That movie does a pretty decent job at guiding you to the dark place. But I enjoyed it.

Mole

Permabanned
I Love You

Yesterday I saw an Italian film called, "I Love You".

It's beautifully made as we watch a wealthy bourgeois family fall apart. Not without the help of their cook and an American character buying them out, telling them at a dinner party that, "Capitalism is democracy".

It's a complex and tragic film without a happy ending. I can't say it is moving but it is memorable.

Snoopy22

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Point Blank – The original version of Mel Gibson’s Payback with Lee Marvin. The story line lacks from the Payback version, but the twist ending is better.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Remember Me
It could have had more to it, but i'm not going to complain about what it did have. I enjoyed it.

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
FIFA World Cup 2010

On the office´s TV. Every single day since it started.

Now, Paraguay-New Zealand.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Watched a lot of movies on the weekend after we put the baby to bed... but I haven't written them up! Clearing out the back log.

Revolutionary Road
Mixed feelings about this one. I enjoyed the novel, as brutal as it was at times. The movie intensified the brutality, and seemingly altered the ending (won't spoil it). Great period piece, the sets and costuming were spot-on, and the two leads were fantastic (Leo doesn' get the accolades that Kate does, but he's turned into a very good actor).
Highly recommended.

Duplicity
Enjoyable, but it felt undercooked. Corporate espionage is a great subject for a film, since most know little about it, but it's not the high stakes of regular espionage. Not enough chemistry between Julia Roberts and Clive Owen.
Recommended if you like either of the actors.

Star Trek
If you haven't seen this yet, you might not be an NT. I recommend one views The Wrath of Khan prior to this so you get all the references. Enjoyable plot, excellent recasting of the classic characters, I can't wait to see the next one. Star Trek really needed this.
Highly recommended.

Up
Much like Wall-E, a moving and virtuoso beginning that deflates a bit as you move to the conclusion. Pixar makes better animated movies than anything Japan has ever produced.
Highly recommended.

Brazil
I didn't remember much of this, so I saw it again. I was a bit underwhelmed by it all. Loved the sarcastic take on modern consumerist society, but the plot was a bit muddled and the end didn't pack the emotional wallop one would hope. See it just for the set direction, CGI can imagine more now, but rarely is it as effective as this.
Recommended.

Body of Lies
Russell Crowe movie #1. I couldn't remember the plot. Had to look it up on Wikipedia. That's not good.
Not recommended.

Taken
Much better action movie than I was expecting. Realistic except for the uncanny ability of Liam Neeson to always find just the right clue on his search for his kidnapped daughter.
Reocmmended.

Kung Fu Panda
Not Pixar-good, but entertaining nonetheless.
Recommended.

3:10 to Yuma
Russell Crowe movie #2. A remake of a classic western I have not seen, Christian Bale is one of the men tasked to bring train robber Russell Crowe to the prison train in Yuma. He does this for his own prideful reasons, and Crowe's character has his own sense of honor. A macho movie about duty and honor, I was thoroughly captivated (esp. by Crowe's charismatic killer) from beginning to end. Men like this no longer exist much in the modern world, but they did exist.
Highly recommended.

Wanted
James McAvoy and Angelina in one of the silliest CGI-pumped action movies I've seen in a while. Needed MST3k.
Not recommended.

The Hangover
Not as funny as it was made out to be raking in all that cash at the theater, still very funny at times.
Recommended.

Charlie Wilson's War
Tom Hanks should play more characters like this - a bit sleazy with hidden depth and smarts; pretty much the opposite of Forrest Gump. A very interesting look into how America came to back the mujahedeen in Afghanistan against the Soviets. Actions that still have massive implications to this day. Philip Seymour Hoffman was great in his role as a CIA agent (and probably antagonistic smarty-pants NT).
Highly recommended.

Be Kind Rewind
Too whimsical for me, there were some fantastic set pieces here (the ladder and chain link fence camouflage was the best). I just couldn't buy into the premise that people would want to watch refilmed low-budget shorts based on movies. Maybe I was in a bad mood.
No recommendation.

(500) Days of Summer
You know how women will complain about one guy that comes on too strong and has their whole future planned? Now you can see what it's like from his side: how soul-crushing and desperate to make things work he is. Zooey Deschanel is the quirky-cipher girl men dream about, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt is maturing into an actor that I'm really starting to look for. Who doesn't like a Hall & Oates musical number????
Highly recommended.

Sweeney Todd
I knew there was throat-cutting, but I didn't know there'd be so much and so graphic! A black comedy that could really go even blacker in my opinion, and a musical with non-singers that acquit themselves quite well, I can recommend it as long as you know you're getting spraying blood and singing.
Recommended.

Inglourious Basterds
The first scene was one of the most tension-filled and well-done scene any director has done, let alone QT. The rest of the movie didn't quite match that, though it did continually surprise me with who would live or die right through the end. Christoph Waltz deserved the Oscar.
Recommended.

Burn After Reading
Every once in a while the Coen brothers make a movie where it's hard to like any of the characters. Without a way in, one remains detached and unmoved (except for a shocking death in the middle of the movie).
Not recommended.

Coraline
A beautiful little film for the stop-motion animation crowd and the little goth inside all of us. Just the right amount of creepiness and wonder.
Highly Recommended.

District 9
Been reviewed countless times on INTPc, just go see it.
Highly recommended.

Up in the Air
I discussed this movie a bit earlier @ INTPc, so I don't feel like rehashing the plot.
Recommended.

Dirty Pretty Things
A minor thriller/mystery involving the underworld of undocumented workers at a London hotel. You figure out what is going on halfway through the film, but that's okay because it's really about the characters. Characters people don't often think about as they go about their daily business... unless you are one of them.
Recommended.

Alien vs. Predator
Better than I expected, but still silly.
Not recommended.

Cloverfield
I think everyone saw this before I did. Some criticize the hand-held style, but I think that really draws you into the chaos and confusion of a giant monster attack the way a Godzilla movie never did.
Recommended.

The Burrowers
A horror/western? Yep, and a decent one at that. People go missing and a posse follows the trail assuming Injuns took 'em. It wasn't Injuns.
Recommended for horror lovers.

Crazy Heart
You don't have to like country to enjoy this movie, but it really helps. Framed almost like a biopic in the last years of a fading country legend, Jeff Bridges nails the character: his alcoholism, his regrets, his talent, his scheming, his goodness that still hasn't been killed off. Even Colin Farrell surprised me.
Highly recommended.

Where the Wild Things Are
More like where the depressed monsters mope! It turns the book from a bratty everykid to a confused and angry child of divorce. Few movies are able to capture what it's like to be a kid, and this one does. If you are a child of divorce yourself, you may even identify more with this than I did.
Recommended.

Pandorum
Well-made sci-fi horror movies are rarely well-done these days. They know a certain crowd will go to see this anyway, so I appreciate it when there is some effort involved by the filmmakers. A mash-up of Aliens and Event Horizon, there's nothing new here, just a solid entry into the genre. Thanks for the recommendation, whatever!
Recommended.