User Tag List

Page 92 of 265 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142192 ... LastLast

Thread: What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I went on a shopping spree, and in addition to buying the PC version of Rage, which is glitchy as hell -- I'll have to wait for a patch or a driver update -- I also bought Scream 4 and Fast Five.

Saw them both in the theater and enjoyed them both.

Scream 4 was every bit as clever as the first one; in fact the only gripe I had with it was
    but other than that, I continue to enjoy the horror movie satire.

As for Fast Five, I will admit that I enjoyed all the other movies, with the possible exception of Fast and the Furous: Tokyo Drift, which takes place after all the others in the Fast and the Furious timeline. What was interesting about Fast Five was its surprisingly well-done character development, given the kind of movie it was. There are also surprisingly few action sequences, also, but the film manages to still be entertaining with the chemistry between characters. And the final car chase was epic -- absurd, but epic.

MBTI
    IsFJ

Un cuento chino. Very tender, I hope it becomes available in English-speaking countries as well.
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I was torn between seeing The Human Centipede 2 and Real Steel.

I haven't found any little independent movie theaters in town showing Human Centipede 2, so I couldn't possibly see it on a big screen. I was very upset.

But after pouting and whining for a little whle, I decided to go with Plan B, Real Steel. I didn't really anticipate this movie; from the trailers, it looked like a subplot for Transformers, and I wasn't very interested.

But I went to see it anyway, and it was quite entertaining, but in the end, it was just a boxing movie with robots. There was nothing any more science fiction about the premise than that, and I felt it was unnecessary. But still, it was entertaining, to say the least.

On a humorous note, I noticed the ads in the various arenas was for an Xbox 720... Does anyone really think that Microsoft's next console will actually be called that?

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    I was torn between seeing The Human Centipede 2 and Real Steel.

I haven't found any little independent movie theaters in town showing Human Centipede 2, so I couldn't possibly see it on a big screen. I was very upset.
    I heard they gave barf bags out at the critic/convention screenings, and one critic said it was not a movie you needed to actually go see to know for sure that you wish you hadn't seen it. Lol. The first was dreadful; the consensus on this one was that it was purposefully done as over the top as possible as a slap on those who liked the first one. (Now I'm actually a little curious; I'm not sure how it could be more over the top than the first one was. Oh yeah, dating advice here: The Human Centipede is not a chick flick. Just thought you should know. )

But after pouting and whining for a little whle, I decided to go with Plan B, Real Steel. I didn't really anticipate this movie; from the trailers, it looked like a subplot for Transformers, and I wasn't very interested.

But I went to see it anyway, and it was quite entertaining, but in the end, it was just a boxing movie with robots. There was nothing any more science fiction about the premise than that, and I felt it was unnecessary. But still, it was entertaining, to say the least.
    That's cool. I bought The Prestige on BluRay and got a free pass to see this movie; I probably wouldn't have paid to see it otherwise, but I'll go since it looks at least average, and has Hugh Jackman and Evangeline Lily in it.

Saw Drive last weekend. I liked it overall, but not much happens in it. It's basically kind of "flat" emotionally, though, like Ronin or Heat -- just kind of verbatim, stark, as-is, the story tells itself and the director does not try to manipulate. A "clean" movie that way. Ron Perlman played a complete creep, and Albert Brooks is definitely not Mr. Nice Grandpa, although he's more respectable than Perlman. Bryan Cransten plays his part very well and adds some nuance to the character; I originally knew him from Malcolm in the Middle but I've really grown to respect him as an actor, he's versatile. Gosling of course is playing the quiet type with a lot going on inside; he does it well here, coming across as a gentle warm guy who at the same time can be completely cold-hearted and ruthless, if the situation demands it, as if he were cut from the cloth of Shane. I just wonder what else he can do.

I'd like to see 50/50 as well as The Ides of March, while they're in the theater.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I heard they gave barf bags out at the critic/convention screenings, and one critic said it was not a movie you needed to actually go see to know for sure that you wish you hadn't seen it. Lol. The first was dreadful; the consensus on this one was that it was purposefully done as over the top as possible as a slap on those who liked the first one. (Now I'm actually a little curious; I'm not sure how it could be more over the top than the first one was. Oh yeah, dating advice here: The Human Centipede is not a chick flick. Just thought you should know.
    The first movie is the kind of movie I want to show my mother just to see the look on her face. The second one looks like it's gonna be more of a gore fest, which is okay by me. I enjoy trash.

The second movie is also apparently banned in the UK and reportedly cut for the US. Ouch.

Anyway, here are Roger Ebert's reviews of The Human Centipede and The Human Centipede 2

The only other movies I know of that he gave zero stars were both versions of I Spit on Your Grave and North, a very unpleasant family movie with a prepubescent Elijah Wood, directed by Rob Reiner. Don't know if anyone remembers it. I remember it because my grandmother took me to see it when I was young, and I distinctly remember not being amused by it then.

To be honest, the original I Spit on Your Grave was an unpleasant viewing experience for me, too. Mostly because I found it boring. Haven't seen the remake, though.

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    The first movie is the kind of movie I want to show my mother just to see the look on her face. The second one looks like it's gonna be more of a gore fest, which is okay by me. I enjoy trash.
    I actually liked the Saw movie series, but it was more than gore. I can handle gore fine, if it's in service to something else. I just get bored (if not grossed out) by gore for gore's sake.

The second movie is also apparently banned in the UK and reportedly cut for the US. Ouch.
    Yeah, I heard that the UK banned it. That is pretty bad.

Anyway, here are Roger Ebert's reviews of The Human Centipede and The Human Centipede 2

The only other movies I know of that he gave zero stars were both versions of I Spit on Your Grave and North, a very unpleasant family movie with a prepubescent Elijah Wood, directed by Rob Reiner. Don't know if anyone remembers it. I remember it because my grandmother took me to see it when I was young, and I distinctly remember not being amused by it then.
    ROFL! I didn't even know Ebert tried to watch these two movies. THat's pretty bad; he's willing to even give 1/2 stars if necessary, so a 0 from him is pretty definitive of his opinion. It's rather hilarious he gave a 0 to a Rob Reiner movie; it must have been a REAL dog.

To be honest, the original I Spit on Your Grave was an unpleasant viewing experience for me, too. Mostly because I found it boring. Haven't seen the remake, though.
    Never saw it; I just remember that Bloom County's Steve Dallas tried to take a date to see it once; the relationship didn't work out.

EDIT: Here's the first paragraph of Ebert's review of "THe Human Centipede":

It's not death itself that's so bad. It's what you might have to go through to get there. No horror film I've seen inflicts more terrible things on its victims than “The Human Centipede.” You would have to be very brave to choose this ordeal over simply being murdered. Maybe you'd need to also be insane....
    Maybe the movie wasn't that bad at all... at least I'm getting a few laughs from reading Ebert's review of it!

EDIT 2: Another great quote:
    Tom Six is apparently the director's real name. I learn his favorite actor is Klaus Kinski, he is an AK-47 enthusiast, and wears RAF sunglasses and Panama hats. Not the kind of guy you want to share your seat on a Ferris wheel. He has said, “I get a rash from too much political correctness.” I promise you that after this movie, his skin was smooth as a Gerber baby's.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

I wish I was watching The Walking Dead, but we cancelled cable, so I'll have to wait.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    IsFJ

Just watched Chinatown this weekend. Noir isn't usually my genre of choice, but I think this movie highlights its appeal very much, besides being pretty awesome in itself.

Still, I expected more of it would be set in Chinatown. I feel swindled.
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

'Hunger' (2008): a film about the power and idiocy of fanaticism.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Socionics
    LII

Megan Is Missing

This film was tedious and even if I hadn't wasted 4.99$ -sans tax- on it, I still would've considered it a waste of my time. Many supposed horror fanatics raved about how disturbing it was on Tumblr of all places, so I should have known it'd be nothing of the sort. 0/10
    “'Fuck', I think. What a beautiful word. If I could say only one thing for the rest of my life, that would be it.”