• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Casablanca
I had several movies to choose from last night that I hadn't seen yet. Instead I went with a movie I own, but haven't watched in years. I wanted to see something really good. This one never disappoints. Classic cast (I love Ingrid Bergman!), story, and famous lines. This one hits that tertiary Si melancholy sweet spot. "Play it once, Sam. For old times' sake." Not often do you see your mood (and reason why you chose to watch the movie) echoed so beautifully. One of the greatest ever made.
Highly Highly Recommended.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
Last night I watched a humbling modern Japanese feature called Nobody Knows. It's almost a modern take on Grave of The Fireflies, just with more present day despondence in style than animation tearjerkery.

Summary: Four siblings live happily with their mother in a small apartment in Tokyo. The children all have different fathers and have never been to school. The very existence of three of them has been hidden from the landlord. One day, the mother leaves behind a little money and a note, charging her oldest boy to look after the others. And so begins the children's odyssey... (imdb)

Review: Regardless of how impressive Japan's position is on the HDI, this film manages to bring things right back down to earth. A stark look at the harshness of reality in a medium that so often levitates us into fantasy. But it still appeals to our sense of fantasy, and this is why it is profound.

---

Tonight I intend to watch Black Cat, White Cat. It's an Emir Kusturica film, the chap who did Underground (which you may have seen), as well as the highly acclaimed but rarely seen, Time of The Gypsies.

Looking forward to that. Should be awesome.

Then I'll likely watch Gary Oldman in Prick Up Your Ears in the early hours.

MBTI Type
INxJ
The Secrets

It's about feminism, sexuality, and Judaism. It was very interesting. I enjoyed it immensely.

Jasz

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
purple violets by/with edward burns, with selma blair and patrick wilson. OK for those with a lighter/romantic streak. pleasant, not memorable.

snow angels. with kate beckinsale and sam rockwell. the two collide in small town america. great performances, solid story. scene with sam rockwell dancing in a local bar with two drunken strangers is awesome. recommended.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
I watched Terrence Malick's The New World last night.

If anyone else has seen it, I'd love to know what you think. It's got a very Herzog/Tarkovsky feel to it. But like Days of Heaven, there was just something that felt wrong about it. Perhaps it was the artsy dialog, or maybe it was just Colin Farrel. I don't know. I wanted to fall in love with it, but I didn't.

Kind of made me feel sick about being English, too.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
The Departed

Ah.. I love Costigan's triple elbow to Sullivan's face when he goes SHUT -- THE FUCK -- UP!!!!

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Forgetting Sarah Marshall. If you didn't think The 40-Year-Old Virgin sucked, you won't think FSM sucks either. I was very entertained.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
Busy day, today, for UK film fans:

Criticker.com Forums • View topic - UK TV Film Recommendations 27/9

The Edukators is on; underrated, in my opinion. And also David Lean's Ryan's Daughter, which has one of my favourite love scenes in cinema.

--

Yesterday I rewatched Trier's Breaking The Waves, considered by some the best English language film of the nineties. I liked it a lot more than the first time around, and generally felt it worth braving the three hours with adverts. There's something about Trier's films, however, that leave me with a passive experience, and I think it's the religious aspects that purposefully do this, along with the lead character, Bess' detachment to her pious society. Got to be one of the best performances of the decade.
RIP Katrin.

--
The Philadelphia Story

I had my reservations about The Philadelphia Story; namely that putting James Stewart, Cary Grant, and Katharine Hepburn in the same movie is quite a big risk, in my opinion. But boy did it pull through! A wise and witty, yet realistic script kept me glued to the screen throughout. And I bet it was far more self-referential for the three leads than most people are aware.

--

I also saw The Triplets of Belleville. A joy.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Wow, Jamie Chung is purrrdy!!!

457877248_70732a1c21.jpg

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I saw Miracle at St. Anna yesterday. The movie would have been great if it was about an hour shorter -- some parts just dragged. It was also very confusing -- countless subplots were spread throughout.

It had some nice "invisible" special effects, though.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
I watched Tarkovsky's Stalker earlier. Disappointing. He's not a patch on Victor Erice for atmospheric film making. At least I have Bergman to cheer me up. Winter Light tomorrow.

Mini-Review: Woah. Way too didactic, for me. Some interesting dialog and voice over at parts, and certainly pretty. A step up in consistency from Ivan, but never had the spellbinding effect it was going for. If Zerkalo isn't up to snuff, I'll likely give up on Tarkvsky. It's a long time for pretty cinematography and pop philosophy. If it doesn't succeed in the meditative effect, I'd rather be watching something else.

I still scored it quite high. It deserved it. I'm just a bit of a bitch.

ZiL

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
567?
AMAAAAZING RACE!

It's not as engrossing as it was in earlier seasons though :(

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
The Prestige - 2006

Solid acting all around with an interesting script; I was very surprised that David Bowie pulled off a believable Nikolai Tesla. Steampunk to a little extent, but the overall atmosphere of the film was neat / believable. Highly recommended.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The Shawshank Redemption

Beautiful.

That was filmed in Mansfield Prison here in Mansfield, Ohio. The prison is now a touring attraction.

My mom went on the tour a few weeks ago. And a few weeks before that, a reunion of the cast and crew took place there.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
I watched Mrs. Miniver two hours ago. Best non-Chaplin film I've seen since early July.

And just in case you're thinking, "Two months. Big deal!": I've seen over 120 films in between Kanal and Mrs. Miniver. Yea. That good.

Can't wait to see The Best Years of Our Lives.