• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oblivion was the best movie of the year (so far). Even though at certain points, it seemed to be making it up while it went along, but God, the movie was beautiful to look at (the cinematography, art direction, and visual effects) and there is definitely a sense of vision. And I really have to commend the musical score by M83. In short: haunting. Being from the same director as TRON Legacy, I thought that maybe Daft Punk did the score, but this score is even better.

I loved it, and M. Night had better get his shit together for the similarly themed movie After Earth, because he has a hard road ahead of him if he's trying to outdo Oblivion.

Joseph Kosinski is shaping up to be one of the best directors of modern times.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
ParaNorman-Pretty strange for a kids movie think the poltergeist meets zombie movie meets kid movie. I like it

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
just turned on Safety Not Guaranteed, hopefully looks good combines time machines and investigation which sounds awesome

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Watched Gangster Squad again. Liked it more the second time around. It's a B-movie version of The Untouchables, and well done at that. And it's one movie where Sean Penn's hammy acting works. Josh Brolin is great at playing himself (an ISTJ) and of course, there's Ryan Gosling, who also plays himself (a piece of cardboard).

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Iron Man 3. Follows my first trilogy formula: first movie is the best, leading to high expectations for the second movie, which turns out to be crap, killing our expectations for the third one, which turns out being better than previously hoped.

Granted, Iron Man 3 was saved because of Robert Downey, Jr.'s witty dialogue, and also because it ended up not being as serious as the trailers fooled us into thinking. Tony Stark is definitely the same smart-ass we all know and love. And I'm sure a lot of people got pissed off by a certain plot twist, but honestly, I thought it was hilarious.

Another thing I liked about it was how it reminded me of '80s action movies, and why wouldn't it? Lethal Weapon and Iron Man 3 had the same writer.

One thing I couldn't stand though was

Overall, I thought Iron Man 3 had the weakest villain, where Iron Man 2 had the villain with the most potential (but man, did they drop the ball with him).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just rewatched CLoud Atlas streaming online
I'll get it on Bluray this month and watch it again.
Was better even the second time, now that I could pay attention to details and the scene transitions/edits.

I could also better track all the people throughout the narrative and see the parallels among the lives involving various characters. Karma is even more apparent, and self-betterment; Zachary in particular had the most mottled life of everyone but in the end seems to come out ahead because of an act of bravery on his part, setting aside the known in the face of fear of the unknown. Other characters (especially Hugh Grant and Hugo Weaving's characters) seem to just end up in a worse and worse place.

As a bizarre parallel, Frobisher and SixSmith both have the exact same kind of experience with firearms. But there are numerous parallels throughout the movie that get lost on first pass.

Granted, Iron Man 3 was saved because of Robert Downey, Jr.'s witty dialogue, and also because it ended up not being as serious as the trailers fooled us into thinking. Tony Stark is definitely the same smart-ass we all know and love. And I'm sure a lot of people got pissed off by a certain plot twist, but honestly, I thought it was hilarious.

My iconoclastic side appreciated the particular twist you are describing, but at the same time I'm not sure it added anything useful to the movie tone-wise and might have trivialized it a bit.

Still, it was pretty funny.

And, as a general point overall, I would like to state for the record that Ben Kingsley is an awesome guy.

Overall, I thought Iron Man 3 had the weakest villain, where Iron Man 2 had the villain with the most potential (but man, did they drop the ball with him).

Not sure what I think, but I understand what you would view it that way.

it was to see Rebecca Hall. I've loved her ever since The Prestige.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Iron Man 3. Follows my first trilogy formula: first movie is the best, leading to high expectations for the second movie, which turns out to be crap, killing our expectations for the third one, which turns out being better than previously hoped.

Another thing I liked about it was how it reminded me of '80s action movies, and why wouldn't it? Lethal Weapon and Iron Man 3 had the same writer.

One thing I couldn't stand though was

I just saw "Iron Man 3" as well. I literally think that I cried in the movie theater when I saw what they did with the Mandarin. It just didn't do him justice. I did like the movie overall though. I would give it about a 7.5 out of 10.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In the After Earth trailer, Will Smith calls it Earth, and not Earf.

I just saw "Iron Man 3" as well. I literally think that I cried in the movie theater when I saw what they did with the Mandarin. It just didn't do him justice. I did like the movie overall though. I would give it about a 7.5 out of 10.

I was never much of a comic book reader. And with books I have read, I tend not to compare them to the movies. And in many cases, I think the changes made in movies work better, such as Sam Raimi's Spider-Man. I thought giving him the ability to biologically produce a web was a much better idea than inventing a device...because I think it made him more of a spider/man than just simply climbing the walls.

But I knew next to nothing about Iron Man before the movie came out. And even if I did, I don't think that I would've cared about the character changes that much. I liked Iron Man 3 as a movie, overall.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
In the After Earth trailer, Will Smith calls it Earth, and not Earf.

I was never much of a comic book reader. And with books I have read, I tend not to compare them to the movies. And in many cases, I think the changes made in movies work better, such as Sam Raimi's Spider-Man. I thought giving him the ability to biologically produce a web was a much better idea than inventing a device...because I think it made him more of a spider/man than just simply climbing the walls.

But I knew next to nothing about Iron Man before the movie came out. And even if I did, I don't think that I would've cared about the character changes that much. I liked Iron Man 3 as a movie, overall.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
The Cabin in The Woods: I totally forgot it was a Joss Wheadon film, but i got really excited watching the beginning credits. I'm 19 minutes in but I like it so far, kinda creepy, but creepy in a cool way.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The Great Gatsby. The only things that kept me awake were the production values, the occasionally catchy soundtrack, and the fact that I didn't downright hate it the way I did Moulin Rouge. It was also decent enough of director Baz Luhrmann to chill the fuck out with his rapid cuts so that the average shot is now increased to about a second long, which is no doubt an improvement (a few times, the shots are long enough that we actually get a chance to enjoy the lavish production design).

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

i'm actually entertained.
watching the whole playlist.
wtf is wrong with me.

The contrast between then & now is stark. (there are modern ads playing between each new volume)
Older commercials seem more.. personal. More.. effort? Catchier jingles. Hilarious narration (even when it's unintentional). Different camera angles..