User Tag List

Page 80 of 265 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290130180 ... LastLast

Thread: What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

MBTI
    IsFJ

I just watched Wag the Dog. Now I feel depressed. :sad:

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I watched Tangled last night - Maximus is amazing. He's quickly entered my list of favorite characters in animated movies mental list. :p

(This catching up on all the recent animated movies I've missed thing is pretty fun so far)

Honor Thy Inferior Array Such Irony's Avatar
    MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I just saw tangled myself. Great movie.

I've started watching Corner Gas. I don't know if its that well known in the US as its a Canadian show. The show takes place in Dog River Saskatchewan at a gas station that's 60 km away from the nearest. I love the show's depiction of small town life and its quirky characters. It's quite funny too.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

RDF

I re-saw "The Big Chill" last night. It's a 1983 star vehicle (Kevin Kline, Glenn Close, William Hurt, Tom Berenger, Jeff Goldblum, etc.) where a bunch of former college friends who have sold out in their professional lives re-unite at the funeral of one of their group and together try to reconnect with their youthful college idealism. Across a weekend together, however, in subtle ways they re-enact their various sell-outs, providing the needed clues as to why their dead friend committed suicide.

A long documentary comes with the rental disk, providing some interesting background. In the documentary the director explains that the title "The Big Chill" refers to when you have a close friend with the same background and personality as you, but he occasionally expresses opinions that are repugnant to you. It's the "big chill" of estrangement and alienation that runs down your spine at such times, a realization that life has somehow gotten between the two of you and sent you both in different directions and that you'll never really understand each other.

"The Big Chill" is intended a dark comedy. Across the years reviewers have focused on the "reconnecting with their youthful idealism" aspect of the film, giving it a reputation as a feel-good film. But the director talks about how college idealism is mostly an illusion, that professional life after college tests our beliefs, and that ultimately we have to yield to reality and abandon our illusions. Hence the darker theme of alienation and estrangement. The director says that in the end all we can do is laugh at ourselves and each other and try to love each other despite our flaws and frailties.

One other bit of trivia: The corpse that is being dressed and groomed at the start of the movie while the credits are rolling is the young actor Kevin Costner. Costner was supposed to play the dead friend in a college flashback, but the flashback scene ended up on the cutting room floor and in the end we just see a few close-up shots of Costner's hands and legs and hairline in the initial grooming scene.

MBTI
    INTP

Catch Me if you Can, fantastic film, easily one of my top favorites. I love the characters, and more importantly, I love the way the characters build off of each other throughout the story. The father-son-cop relationship triangle is incredible. The movie is very touching, very dramatic at times, but also laden with humor in every scene. And like all the best stories, this one is true.

[YOUTUBE="8T9lIqNYAqU"]Trailer[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="271gItFZFEw"]Carl Hanratty[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    ENTP

Amélie
    Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain (original title)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0211915/

Loved it.

Junior Member Array

Game of Thrones

I really liked the first episode and how it was done (I'm not a buff of the books). I'm guessing I'll end up ranking it up along with Battlestar Galactica as one of my favorites.

MBTI
    INTP

Man VS Wild, Borneo Jungle

Great episode

MBTI
    INTP

On this wonderful day, I am watching Snakes on a Plane. I think that this is a good movie. It is mostly about a large number of snakes (venemous and non-venemous) killing passengers on an airplane. It stars Samuel Jackson, so you simply have to see it.

MBTI
    IsFJ

Watched Kurosawa's Rashomon last night. Fantastic. (Though a bit overdramatic at times, but hey, it's Japan! ) Toshiro Mifune was especially excellent.