User Tag List

Page 76 of 265 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126176 ... LastLast

Thread: What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

Starcrossed Seafarer Array Aquarelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    I finally got around to watching The Fighter with Mark Wahlberg and and Christian Bale. I felt that it was decent, but it didn't quite live up to the hype I had heard about it. It felt a little bit slow, repetitive and predictable at times. But overall it was a decent movie.
    I need to see this soon. I heart Mark Wahlberg, and this does look like a good film.

Need to see The Adjustment Bureau, too. We watched Megamind the other night. It was pretty cute.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

Skip 'The Fighter', see 'The Wrestler' instead.

& Badger, Ratty and Toad Array Mole's Avatar

Thumbs down Limitless

I saw the movie, "Limitless", last night.

It is a movie about amphetamine use translated into the American Dream.

The American Dream does look wonderful on screen, but I can't help feeling it betrays the viewers.

The movie does describe many of the features of amphetamine use, but in the end amphetamine use is just another way of realising the American Dream.

Apparently the American Dream can be applied to anything, even something as damaging as amphetamine use.

I am grateful we haven't been indocrinated with the American Dream, and can look at it with a sceptical eye.

But what about all those American dreamers?

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle99 View Post
    Need to see The Adjustment Bureau, too. We watched Megamind the other night. It was pretty cute.
    I saw Megamind 3D in the theater, it was pretty cool, and was a bit more serious than Despicable Me. (Both were enjoyable.)

Last night I watched "While You Were Sleeping" (with Sandra Bullock), and right now I'm watching Braveheart on Bluray.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Klingon Warrior Princess Array Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Oh man, Despicable Me was awesome. I can't explain how much I love that movie. And I highly approve of the Braveheart choice.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

I am amazed that movies are a popular culture we all share.

We don't share our religious beliefs. We don't share our political beliefs. And we don't even share our sexual beliefs, but we do share the movies.

All we are looking at is a flat screen in a large dark room, and as we suspend our disbelief, we enter fully into the movie.

It's magical.

Klingon Warrior Princess Array Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

MOVIE TRANCE?!!?!?!
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

Smile Piety

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    MOVIE TRANCE?!!?!?!
    Of course the movies do entrance us. They take our attention and narrow it down to the screen and put us into a lovely trance where our critical faculties are quietly asleep and our disbelief is suspended.

If we stand in front of the screen and look back at the audience, we see they are all agog at the screen, in a state of suspended animation with the suspension of disbelief, believing everything they see as if it were true.

And what is amazing is that this supension occurs from Nairobi to Canberra and from Atlanta to Tokyo. We might say this is a universal suspension.

For instance, religions are not a universal suspension, they are limited by geography.

There are three 'theatres' at Manuka where I live, the Catholic Cathedral, the Anglican Cathedral and the movie theatres, all six. And it is only the movie theatres that are appreciated by all.

So I think it is fair to say, that just as we suspend our disbelief on Central and we suspend our disbelief at the movies, we are engaging in acts of worship both at Central and at the movies.

And look, look how pious we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    For instance, religions are not a universal suspension, they are limited by geography.
    Just as movies are limited by theaters and tastes. Different geographic regions have different religions, as different audiences suspend their disbelief in the face of different movies; but as they all watch movies, they all have religions.

MBTI
    INFP

Gentleman's Agreement, In A Lonely Place

Good films