User Tag List

Page 70 of 265 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120170 ... LastLast

Thread: What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

Lungs & Lips Locked Array Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

The Lost Boys 3: The Thirst
    Undeniably corny vampire movie, which is expected. Corey Feldman, although I adore him, clung to his acting skills when he was young, but completely lost them as he aged. The dialogue drags on in places, but it has its amusing moments. There are many unnecessary flashbacks to the first movie, which is a cult classic and shouldn't be touched upon in this inherently campy threequel. The action is much less than the second one, which I would recommend for a laugh.
    Final note- while the vampires look fairly cool, they are all pretty weak. You get your ass handed to you by Corey Feldman and you're asking to be degraded .
    Predators
    I enjoyed this movie. I've never sat through any of the previous Predator flicks, apart from AvP, which is certainly a sad fate.
    Adrien Brody is a weird 'bad ass' for me. He makes it work, but it takes a bit of getting used to. His character's development was rushed after a point, but gives off the illusion that it isn't. There's a comic relief character, who I liked immensely. I would have liked to see more character development for him, or at least to properly hear it.
    Anyway, there was backstory and allusion to the first Predator movie, which was neat. The aesthetic and action was intact. It was overall a good balance of what was needed. I also liked the ending, which I will not detail in the slightest. I'm sure it can procure a love/hate relationship.
    The Walking Dead
    While this is a TV series, it's about Zombies and, oh man, do I love me some Zombies!
    I've been feeling an empty hole in my life and I couldn't figure out why until I saw a preview. The first episode was great. You can tell that there is enough time for the series to let the emotions run high. They can develop characters, feed into their feelings, and still maintain enough gore and action to satisfy passing zombie fans. The atmosphere is awesome too. There are so many moments that feel critical, but don't become cheapened by shock value.
    I won't blather on more about that since it's new, but I'd say go download it or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I watched Sunshine, over the weekend, directed by Danny Boyle (director of "28 Days Later" and "Slumdog Millionaire" among other things), and starring a fairly impressive cast headed by Cillian Murphy.
    I loved this movie. There are a lot of sci fi themed films that go over the top and miss that realism mark that really makes them for me. Even something like Event Horizon, while over the top, kept a realistic look at the situation.
    Beyond that, Cillian Murphy is .
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

Meat Tornado Array DiscoBiscuit's Avatar
    Enneagram
    8w9

Currently an engrossing drama on HBO called In Treatment.

It's all about Psychology.
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

& Badger, Ratty and Toad Array Mole's Avatar

Unhappy The American

Yesterday I saw the movie, "The American".

It's about reaching out hopelessly to the abusive mother.

The abusive mother reverses the roles of parent and child, and instead of the parent listening to the emotions of the child, the child is expected to listen to the neurotic emotions of the parent. And the child is expected to listen to the emotions of the parent while under threat of abuse.

It's an exquisite trap for a child to be in, for the child internalises the abusive relationship. And even as an adult still reaches out hopelessly to the abusive mother.

This is never spelled out in the movie, rather it is beautifully and truthfully conveyed by images - the image of the Mother of God, the Virgin Mary, and the classic image of the golden-hearted prostitute.

For we idealise the abusive mother, just as we idealise the Virgin Mary and the golden-hearted prostitute, even as we reach out hopelessly to them.

And in the movie we identify with a hitman and we kill and kill again, but we can never kill the abusive mother within, because she is hidden behind our shinning idealisation.

And so we die inside, hypnotised by the shinning ideal in front of us.

I missed the abusive mother altogether. What do you make of 'Le Samourai', Victor?

Default Hiding in Full View

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I missed the abusive mother altogether.
    It's interesting that we tend to miss the abusive mother even though the Virgin Mary and the golden-hearted prostitute are in our face.

For these idealisations hide the reality of the abusive mother.

The fact of the abusive mother cannot be faced by the child so it is necessary for survival to hide her in idealisations.

And even in the last few frames of, "The American", the protagonist is reaching out to the golden-hearted prostitute in paradise in front of him as he is dying, but we can't see, we daren't see, what is happening in front of our eyes.

Moving to the BVI Array highlander's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Prince of Persia - it was pretty good.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Smile Don't ask, don't tell.

I missed the abusive mother altogether. What do you make of 'Le Samourai', Victor?
    It seems that, "Le Samourai", was a precursor to, "The American". And I found, "The American", to be a more interesting movie.

But like any work of art, we only get out of it what we bring to it. So the symbolism of the Virgin Mary and the golden-hearted prostitute jumped out at me.

Also the obvious fact that the protagonist was damaged and damaging, asked the question, who emotionally damaged him. And as he spent the movie chasing the golden-hearted prostitute while avoiding his demons, it wasn't hard to guess that it was his mother. It was his mother he was appealing to even as she abused him.

Whether the scriptwriters knew this was the sub-text to the movie, or whether this sub-text was entirely unconscious, I don't know.

I suspect it was unconscious as the symbolism was carried out as if in a dream, and all the more effective for it.

But of course, "The American", was made for the mass audience and needed to recoup its enormous investment, so the abusive mother could not be presented to the mass audience, it must remain a secret.

So I rely upon you, Nicodemus, don't tell anyone.

Fear not, Victor! I shall not tell rumors.

Smile

Fear not, Victor! I shall not tell rumors.
    Mum's the word.

MBTI
    INFP

Dog Day Afternoon!