User Tag List

Page 43 of 265 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143 ... LastLast

Thread: What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

I watched "Fortysomething" on PBS last night. It's Hugh Laurie in a British comedy playing a doctor that is almost the exact opposite of Dr. House. (This character is wimpy and neurotic, whereas House is egotistic and aggressive.) The oddest show I've grown to love. Sure, only 6 episodes made it looks like - figures!

Netflix Online Movie Rentals - Rent DVDs, Classic Films to DVD New Releases

If you find it funny when people are embarrassed/do embarrassing things & get themselves into embarrassing situations because of their behavior, then this one might be for you.

Welcome to hughlaurie.net

For example, the running gag is that at the end of each episode, the husband and wife are in bed, and the husband says something about not remembering the last time they had sex, and then either the husband or wife ends up falling asleep before they can get to it.

Adapted from a novel of the same name. It looks like it may have been designed to only be 6 hours from the start...

Amazon.com: Fortysomething: Hugh Laurie, Anna Chancellor, Stephen Fry: Movies & TV

This is just one of the reasons I'm starting to turn to PBS more frequently. It helped me also find Ghostland Observatory last year, so it has been a good neighbor to me lately, along with the interesting documentaries it airs now and then...
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

So this week has been a week of driving and being driven. First, I get my temporary license, and today, I went to see Fast & Furious. While it was refreshing to see the familiar faces of Vin Diesel and Paul Walker (the former only a footnote in the previous installment), the film reeked of the laughable seriousness of Rob Cohen's 2001 film when it should've just gone with the more lighthearted tone of John Singleton's 2003 follow-up.

Still, it was an entertaining spring blockbuster, though far away from its low-budget roots. And it also made foot worshipers look bad. The film also had a curiously high body count; in retrospect, I don't think the other three movies had much more than one or two deaths or something like that.

The theater was packed, so if that's any indication, then I anticipate a fifth installment on the horizon.

I'd like to see them make one with Walker, Diesel, and Tyrese.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    EIE

Finished Damages season 2, called it, and loved it! Patty and Ellen are awesome, glad they brought back Ray Fiske for the finale and glad there were only 13 episodes, I would've gone mad with how tedious the show was at times.
    Extroverted (E) 50% Introverted (I) 50%
    Intuitive (N) 62.5% Sensing (S) 37.5%
    Feeling (F) 51.61% Thinking (T) 48.39%
    Judging (J) 51.52% Perceiving (P) 48.48%
    8w9 EIE

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    ENTP

Default Diary of the Dead

If youve seen George A. Romeros previous living dead films, youve seen it all before, only not from this angle. Diary of the Dead is a good horror movie, easily worth 100 Saw sequels, with intense, convincing performances all around that make it frighteningly easy to suspend disbelief for 90 minutes.

When the shit hits the fan, a group of college students and their film professor are camping in the woods, ironically shooting a bad horror movie thats coming apart when they learn that civilization, too, is unraveling. That the dead have literally come back to life and are eating the living doesnt quite penetrate right away, but obviously something big is going down and the director decides its his mission to keep the camera rolling as events unfold. The grainy, jittery film we see is of course actually shot by Romero & crew, who do well in creating the illusion of an amateur film student doing the shooting. It has the unsettling effect of making the scenes more authentic and intimate, eliminating our usual sense of security that the omnipotent director has everything under control in a make believe world we can walk away from after the movie.

The film contains choice observations about the information age and the shared voyeurism of filmmakers and viewers (as the editor-narrator notes, we dont stop to help, we stop to look.). And of course its easy to see Romeros flesh-eating zombies as grotesque paradies of the livingcreatures of mindless and insatiable appetitein a sensate culture.

The group sets out for the Pennsylvania hometown of one of the characters whos frantic to reach her family. They scan the Internet periodically whenever they get the chance, but too much information gives them a fuzzy rather than clear picture of whats really happening. They dont know how to separate the truth from the bullshit. Sound familiar? One character later remarks that in the end, its all just noise.

What follows is their nightmare RV Odyssey through the land of the living dead. The films gore and violence are vital because were meant to see how rapidly people adapt to living in a war zone and their capacity for violence lurking just beneath the fragile veneer of civilization, waiting for an opportunity to emerge. There are people who believe that a collapse of modern civilization will lead to some kind of New Age of enlightenment, but like Romero, I seriously doubt that.

At the end were shown grisly online footage of a few hometown good ole boys getting their jollies using zombies tied to trees for target practice. They hang a woman from a tree branch by a rope tied to her hair, then one of them blows the lower part of her head and body off with a shotgun, so that the top half of her head with her still-moving eyes is left dangling on the rope like a trophy. The editors final voiceover question to the audience is, are we worth saving?

Its a good question.
    i believe that i am in hell, therefore i am there.
    arthur rimbaud

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

This is an excellent part of Fantasia.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8Ca_edg6RE"]Fantasia- Night on Bald Mountain[/YOUTUBE]
    () 9w8-3w2-7w6 tritype.

RCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Lone Star
    8/10

Sheriff Sam Deeds (played by the always-terrific Chris Cooper), of Rio County, Texas uncovers the skull of Sheriff Charlie Wade (Kris Krisofferson), who disappeared 40 years ago. As Sam investigates, more and more evidence points to his dead father, Sheriff Buddy Deeds (Matthew McConaughey), as the killer. Meanwhile, the people he questions have nothing but good things to say about Buddy, he was a regular town hero. Sam realizes that he may not have known his father as well as he thought he did.

Through a series of flashbacks we learn Rio County's history of racism and how it all tied back to the lawmen. We also meet a large cast of characters, generations of fathers and sons who have grown apart, and people who have drifted away for their own heritages.

Excellent flick, strongly recommended.
    INFJ
    4w5

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by mysterio View Post
    If youve seen George A. Romeros previous living dead films, youve seen it all before, only not from this angle. Diary of the Dead is a good horror movie, easily worth 100 Saw sequels, with intense, convincing performances all around that make it frighteningly easy to suspend disbelief for 90 minutes.
    Well, that's good news. I'm still wary about seeing it, all of my horror-geek friends were really mixed in their opinions of it. I hate to tarnish my memories of Mr. Romero, who was like a god to me while I was growing up.
    INFJ
    4w5

Sniffles

Well on TCM they're playing King of Kings starring Jeffrey Hunter as Jesus. This is probably one of my favorite films, and I've enjoyed it since I was a little kid.

It's depiction of the Sermon on the Mount has been honoured as one of the greatest scenes in all film history, which has helped enshrined it as a masterpiece. Then of course there's the amazing score done by Mikls Rzsa.

Here's the opening credits and the opening scenes:
    [youtube="ws5ftq4UrVM"]King of Kings[/youtube]

And yes that's the voice of Orson Wells doing the narration.

Rubber Nipple Salesperson Array ladypinkington's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

I have just discovered Kings recently and Better Off Ted and have fallen in love with those shows.
    Me and hubby made an RPG Nutrition Game
    Play and Vote July 14th to Aug 14th
    http://www.appsforhealthykids.com/ap...ing-vegetables

Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I watched The Spirit.

Samuel L. Jackson's best movie, hands down.