• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

Ingrid in grids

Well I just watched this:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYFW92nHno8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYFW92nHno8[/YOUTUBE]

Thought it was kind of brilliant.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Netflix finally got Twin Peaks streamable, so I watched the pilot today. Oh wow, I see what all the fuss is about now! It's completely up my alley. Quirky characters, interesting cinematography, great soundtrack, and odd yet cliche plot. It's somehow both campy and stylish at the same time. I'm looking forward to watching the rest of it.

(oh, and I'm watching a Mavs vs Warriors game now.) :D

We were considering getting the series..... and now I'm sure we will.

I watched Amadeus.

(haaaahahaha!) :D

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Toy Story 3, I don't see why everyone's like you'll cry. Yeah I got teary eyed a few times, but never actually cried. I thought it was a happy ending personally.

R

RDF

Just saw the 1991 movie "Naked Lunch." I would characterize it as "Trainspotting meets the Rocky Horror Picture Show." A real freak show.

It's set up as a 1950s who-done-it, but it's played out in the mind of a paranoid homosexual junkie. It's also a partly-biographical story of the Beat Generation writer William S. Burroughs trying to write a book as he wrestles with drug addiction and teeters on the edge of insanity.

At first I was bored with it. It started with the characters sitting around and shooting up pesticides as a recreational drug to the point where they could breathe on bugs and kill them. The joke (and the movie) didn't seem to be going anywhere. But then the lead character kills his wife (as Burroughs did in real life), and the movie turns increasingly weird. Typewriters turn into beetles that talk through their anuses and send the main character on spy missions, people suck narcotics through penis-like appendages on aliens' heads, etc. Pretty soon I was howling with laughter.

As movies go, it's definitely skippable. Mainly it's just weird. But if you're into weirdness/decadence, then it's worth checking out. I would say that it's memorable.

Here is one of the original 1991 reviews of the movie: "Obviously this is not everybody's cup of weird tea: you must have a taste for the esthetics of disgust. For those up to the dare, it's one clammily compelling movie".

A line from the movie:

"Poor Bobo came to a sticky end - he was riding in the Duke Devanche's Hispano Suissa when his falling hemorrhoids blew out of the car and wrapped around the rear wheel. He was completely gutted leaving an empty shell sitting there on the giraffe skin upholstry. Even the eyes and the brain went with a horrible "shlupping" sound. The Duke says he would carry that ghastly "shlup" with him to his mausoleum."

Enjoy!

Maya

MBTI Type
INFJ
Last thing I watched: My family playing SingStar 80's... I didn't join in but it was amusing to hear all these songs I know by heart yet seeing the music videos for them, which I'd somehow never seen before. Amazing videos back then. :wubbie:

FineLine: Ooh, that sounds interesting. I hadn't heard of it before. There are a few Cronenberg films I've heard are great but due to the gore I've heard is in them (like Videodrome) I've put off seeing them due to me being a wuss. Would you say this is pretty gory, or not so much?

We were considering getting the series..... and now I'm sure we will.

I watched Amadeus.

(haaaahahaha!) :D

Twin Peaks has grown on me even more with each episode I watch! haha. A real treat. :headphne:

Also I've got Amadeus on my queue as well. I gotta watch that! :)

Toy Story 3, I don't see why everyone's like you'll cry. Yeah I got teary eyed a few times, but never actually cried. I thought it was a happy ending personally.

Woo! I saw that the other night as well! For me it was crying happy tears. :blush: It gave me a huge feeling of overwhelming nostalgia, a lot in part due to the theme of the film itself but also because I've kinda grown up with these movies. I remember going on a date to see Toy Story 2 in the theater long ago. It's interesting to watch these characters grow up over the course of the movies. Seeing the ending tied up a lot of loose ends and so for me that was kind of sad - like saying goodbye to old friends. A bittersweet thing for me. It reminded me of my own childhood and toys I had in the past. Unfortunately I only have VHS copies of the first 2 movies and this made me want to rewatch the entire series again! Gotta remedy that problem.

I'm a wuss though, so. heh :blush: :smile:

R

RDF

[...] Ooh, that sounds interesting. I hadn't heard of it before. There are a few Cronenberg films I've heard are great but due to the gore I've heard is in them (like Videodrome) I've put off seeing them due to me being a wuss. Would you say this is pretty gory, or not so much?

Hmm. Hard to answer that one. I haven't seen his gory movies, so I can't compare.

--"Naked Lunch" is full of grossness, but most of it is semi-humorous: Like lots of slime dripping from various appendages, or a headless half-centipede-half-human thing crawling around on the floor dry-humping everything (and everyone). The headless thing gets driven off by a Nazi maid with a horsewhip. :)

--There is a fair amount of actual gore, but most of it belongs to bugs. And again, the presentation is so fantastic that it's semi-humourous. For example, there is a scene where two typewriters turn into big bugs and fight to the death: There is lots of detailed screaming and crunching and tearing of bug meat and blood-soaked keyboards.

--There's only one 5-second scene that's vaguely horrific, IOW, that could appear in a cheesy, gross horror movie. Toward the end of the movie Lee hears Kiki and Yves going at it in the bedroom, and he walks in to see what's happening...

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Woo! I saw that the other night as well! For me it was crying happy tears. :blush: It gave me a huge feeling of overwhelming nostalgia, a lot in part due to the theme of the film itself but also because I've kinda grown up with these movies. I remember going on a date to see Toy Story 2 in the theater long ago. It's interesting to watch these characters grow up over the course of the movies. Seeing the ending tied up a lot of loose ends and so for me that was kind of sad - like saying goodbye to old friends. A bittersweet thing for me. It reminded me of my own childhood and toys I had in the past. Unfortunately I only have VHS copies of the first 2 movies and this made me want to rewatch the entire series again! Gotta remedy that problem.

I'm a wuss though, so. heh :blush: :smile:

Yeah after watching it I looked to see if the first 2 toy stories were on instant, they weren't so I went to clerkdogs to see what was similar and none of those were on instant either. But I was 90s kid, of course I grew up on Toy Story.

I'm watching Dead Man, it's for class though.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just finished watching As good as it gets. I always come out smiling when I watch that.
The doctor who xmas special, I watched as well. This one was really good. Matt Smith is growing on me. I love the universe that Stephen Moffat has created, it's much more surreal.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Saw the remake of Arthur tonight. I thought it was pretty cute, actually. Russell Brand was both funny and touching, and handled the role very well. Helen Mirren was fantastic during the poignant parts, but not quite as great as Gielgud was in the sarcastic parts. There was just something about Gielgud's delivery when he'd zing Arthur. I keep forgetting the girl's name who did the Liza Minnelli part in the update, but I liked her--it's hard to play quirky if you're not Zooey Deschanel these days, but she did pretty well. I got kind of annoyed with Jennifer Garner's character, and I don't know if it was the casting or the fact that the part itself didn't really need to be a larger role.

Maya

MBTI Type
INFJ
I watched Tangled last night - Maximus is amazing. He's quickly entered my list of favorite characters in animated movies mental list. :p

(This catching up on all the recent animated movies I've missed thing is pretty fun so far) :smile:

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I just saw tangled myself. Great movie.

I've started watching Corner Gas. I don't know if its that well known in the US as its a Canadian show. The show takes place in Dog River Saskatchewan at a gas station that's 60 km away from the nearest. I love the show's depiction of small town life and its quirky characters. It's quite funny too.

R

RDF

I re-saw "The Big Chill" last night. It's a 1983 star vehicle (Kevin Kline, Glenn Close, William Hurt, Tom Berenger, Jeff Goldblum, etc.) where a bunch of former college friends who have sold out in their professional lives re-unite at the funeral of one of their group and together try to reconnect with their youthful college idealism. Across a weekend together, however, in subtle ways they re-enact their various sell-outs, providing the needed clues as to why their dead friend committed suicide.

A long documentary comes with the rental disk, providing some interesting background. In the documentary the director explains that the title "The Big Chill" refers to when you have a close friend with the same background and personality as you, but he occasionally expresses opinions that are repugnant to you. It's the "big chill" of estrangement and alienation that runs down your spine at such times, a realization that life has somehow gotten between the two of you and sent you both in different directions and that you'll never really understand each other.

"The Big Chill" is intended a dark comedy. Across the years reviewers have focused on the "reconnecting with their youthful idealism" aspect of the film, giving it a reputation as a feel-good film. But the director talks about how college idealism is mostly an illusion, that professional life after college tests our beliefs, and that ultimately we have to yield to reality and abandon our illusions. Hence the darker theme of alienation and estrangement. The director says that in the end all we can do is laugh at ourselves and each other and try to love each other despite our flaws and frailties.

One other bit of trivia: The corpse that is being dressed and groomed at the start of the movie while the credits are rolling is the young actor Kevin Costner. Costner was supposed to play the dead friend in a college flashback, but the flashback scene ended up on the cutting room floor and in the end we just see a few close-up shots of Costner's hands and legs and hairline in the initial grooming scene.

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
Catch Me if you Can, fantastic film, easily one of my top favorites. I love the characters, and more importantly, I love the way the characters build off of each other throughout the story. The father-son-cop relationship triangle is incredible. The movie is very touching, very dramatic at times, but also laden with humor in every scene. And like all the best stories, this one is true.

[YOUTUBE="8T9lIqNYAqU"]Trailer[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="271gItFZFEw"]Carl Hanratty[/YOUTUBE]

kdk

Game of Thrones

I really liked the first episode and how it was done (I'm not a buff of the books). I'm guessing I'll end up ranking it up along with Battlestar Galactica as one of my favorites.

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
On this wonderful day, I am watching Snakes on a Plane. I think that this is a good movie. It is mostly about a large number of snakes (venemous and non-venemous) killing passengers on an airplane. It stars Samuel Jackson, so you simply have to see it.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Watched Kurosawa's Rashomon last night. Fantastic. :D (Though a bit overdramatic at times, but hey, it's Japan! :newwink:) Toshiro Mifune was especially excellent. :yes: