• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
The movie, "The Black Swan", is the story of a girl becoming a women. However it is told from the emotional point of view. So what we see on the screen is not meant to be taken literally but to be taken emotionally.

I was surprised how many took the details of the story literally. And they missed that this is a coming of age story that is common to all of us. We all experience the sturm und drang of growing up, of leaving our parents and finding romantic love and success or failure in work.

Yes, "The Black Swan", expressed perfectly the emotions associated with coming of age. In fact the movie was so good emotionally I would call it cathartic.

I liked this movie, too. Disturbing, but beautiful imagery and so well-acted by Natalie P.

Also recently saw True Grit, which I reeeally liked. A bit of a depressing ending, but not overly so, and Hailee Steinfeld was excellent in it.

Last night we watched The American. It was okay.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I enjoyed The Assassination of Jesse James last night and Barry Lyndon the night before. Both were terrific.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Oh, and I saw Thief of Bagdad (1940) a couple months ago and was blown away. Everything from Aladdin comes directly from this movie. It was fabulous.

Mole

Permabanned
True Grit, Paranoia, Revenge, Guns and Purity

The paranoid believe they are innocent and you are guilty.

And paranoia is psychological preparation to attack and so the paranoid are ready for revenge.

And having sated their revenge they have this wonderful feeling of being saved.

And in, "True Grit", Mattie Ross, a little girl, is the face of true innocence. And naturally her quest in life is revenge. And naturally Mattie takes her revenge with a gun.

And, "True Grit", is part of the poetic mythos. Underlying it all is a national paranoia, with a mask of innocence, preparing to attack as an act of revenge. And after the consumation of revenge, the relief of being pure and innocent once again.

Sound familiar? It should as it is a national script that is played out over and over again.

The genius of it all is the mask of innocence that has now become a trope of 'the innocent abroad', who loses their innocence, takes revenge, and returns home purified.

Snoopy22

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
The Last Man on Earth - Vincent Price 1963
The Omega Man - Charlton Heston 1971
I Am Legend - Will Smith 2007
3 documentaries on the dangers of allowing middle management and HR personnel too much authority.

KDude

I watched "Crazy Heart" last night. I would title it "Why I decided not to pursue a career in music." There's not much of a story... it's more of a character study. I can see why Jeff Bridges won an oscar though (then again, I haven't seen a lot to compare it to). You don't have like country music to enjoy it. I would compare it to the Wrestler (with Mickey Rourke) more than anything.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Johnny Got His Gun (1971)

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Watched Black Swan last night. WHOA.

(Is it just me, or does Vincent Cassel's accent remind anyone of Tommy Wiseau?)

KDude

Robin Hood (Ridley Scott version). I don't know what to say about it. It was a well done movie, yet not at all what I wanted. It wasn't a story of a rogue fighting injustice, but a war epic about England fighting the evil French. :thinking: The best part might be the cinematography though.

S

Sniffles

Robin Hood (Ridley Scott version). I don't know what to say about it. It was a well done movie, yet not at all what I wanted. It wasn't a story of a rogue fighting injustice, but a war epic about England fighting the evil French. :thinking: The best part might be the cinematography though.

It had a very poor plot IMO. Errol Flynn's version remains the best, and closest to the original stories as I can tell - or what we commonly refer to as the original stories(ie the late Victorian version).

KDude

It had a very poor plot IMO. Errol Flynn's version remains the best, and closest to the original stories as I can tell - or what we commonly refer to as the original stories(ie the late Victorian version).

I agree.. I've heard good things about the Hepburn/Connery version too, but I haven't seen it. I'm going to track it down..

Runaways.. kind of overglorifying the rock n roll schitck (how many times have I seen this now?), but it's Joan Jett. What the hell else could it be? That said, Dakota Fanning and Kristen Stewart were really great in it. Especially Stewart..

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
Recently watched:

Black Swan. Decent film, but don't expect much as far as plot goes. It's typical Darren Aronofsky. Artsy filming, but lacking in plot. Natalie Portman did a great job acting though.

The King's Speech - Loved it. Good drama, and quite amusing at times.

The Green Hornet - sucked. All the funny scenes were in the trailer, the rest of the movie was pretty lame. And Im pretty bored of Seth Rogen doing the same thing Seth Rogen does in every movie.

No Strings Attached - Predictable, but very funny for the first hour. When it started getting sappy near the end I lost interest.

Sanctum - It's barely a step above being a documentary. But I like documentaries so... Visually, it's cool. The acting is weak, the plot is weak.

127 Hours - Loved it. Highly recommend.

Due Date - Dumb.

DearMili

MBTI Type
INFJ
Watched Black Swan last night. WHOA.

(Is it just me, or does Vincent Cassel's accent remind anyone of Tommy Wiseau?)

I said the same thing to the person sitting next to me when he started talking!
I did naht hit her. I DEED NAHHT.

I thought Black Swan was decent. I have a thing about fingernails though so..

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Inception.

Loved it! People said the end was weird/confusing and warned me that I wouldn't like that part, but it totally made the movie!

Lien

Thirteen (2003) and All the Boys Love Mandy Lane

they're about teenagers. i thought thirteen was a better movie, but the beginning and ending of All the Boys Love Mandy i liked most.

in both movies, they have a "questionable" girl. it was not a black and white movie. i thought the movies.. were tragic.

Last edited: