• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

Mole

Permabanned
The Last Station

I just seen the movie, "The Last Station", about the last days of Leo Tolstoy, the world's greatest novelist.

And although Tolstoy was a great writer, his last days were plagued by a wife who coveted his fortune, and a political group who coveted his fame.

His fortune as well as his political group were wiped out by the Russian Revolution, and all that remains is, "War and Peace", and, "Anna Karenina".

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
[Moscow Mission.]

Came across this completely randomly one day during exam term '08. God, did it distract me of the exam tension I was mildly tending to during that time - and surprisingly, for quite an ameteur film, it turned out pretty good.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nexmVxd6Wmc"]Moscow Mission - Trailer.[/YOUTUBE]

... It's funny you remember these things particularly during some what tensing times. I remember this movie for the oddest reason that I wanted to pass time watching it instead of studying. :rolleyes:

mr.awesome

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
ghost world.
it was very unsettling and awkward to watch..
it defiantly had some deep philosophical meaning which would require me to watch it again, and so i will.

Mole

Permabanned
"The Book of Eli".

Movies are like me - rather than being a logical exposition, we show the group fantasy.

And the movie, "The Book of Eli", shows the group fantasy of America.

And the group fantasy is Puritanism. And naturally it is a group fantasy based on a book, the book of Eli, the King James version of the Bible.

America is built on the rock of Puritanism and the literal interpretation of the King James Bible.

And interestingly I have the King James Bible in the bookshelf behind me.

Fortunately the Scottish and English Enlightenment cut me off from the literal interpretation of the King James Bible, and I am merely entertained, and sometimes horrified, by America's group fantasy.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Watched the first season of "Black Books" (got it at the local library). British lol ftw! :D

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
A Beautiful Mind

It was alright. My sweetheart said, toward the end, something about people watching movies like this in 30 years -- they will be the 'classics', and I disagreed, although we will just have to wait and see.

P

Phantonym

I watched Nuovomondo or Golden Door (English title) about the immigration of Italians to the United States in the early 20th century. Minimalistic, full of symbolic imagery, often surrealistic, mixing harsh realism with dream-like qualities, quite enjoyable to watch. :)

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DD9xNvlnEk&feature=related"].[/YOUTUBE]

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The Box... it was actually better than we expected it to be in a way... there's still the problem that I wanted to know MORE about what was going on than the movie told me though :dry: kind of creepy as well :ninja:

P

Phantonym

I watched Agora. I liked it. It's among the kinds of movies that make me feel ashamed for being a human as they keep on letting themselves be poisoned by ideas of superiority. It's almost a confirmation that nothing ever changes.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvwN0DCQEiw&feature=related"]Agora[/YOUTUBE]

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP

What a piece of shit. They even dared to steal "Get some!" from Full Metal Jacket, but presented it in a totally serious manner, whereas in FMJ, it had an element of humor. The movie was an embarrassment, considering it's the highest grossing movie of all time.

I don't see what the big deal is. Do you really need to go to the movies to see this sort of thing? Why not read the news?

Perhaps I went into it biased because everyone loved it, but when I compare this to a movie like The Sting (viewed prior), I just don't understand the appeal. Too much action, not even close to enough substance and character. Originality!

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
It's a Wonderful Life

James Stewart is my favorite actor, and I hadn't seen this movie that almost everyone has seen. It was good. Very good.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Gangs of New York

Daniel Day Lewis is such a phenomenal actor. His characters are uniquely charismatic, like in There Will Be Blood. The movie captures your attention the entire time, and I love the bit in the end looking over at New York City.

Lark

I'm watching Hell Boy, its being reran on the TV again, its one of my favourite films, I love Hell Boy despite being initially unsure about it and it never fails to surprise me just how dark, dark the franchise/mythos is.

Mole

Permabanned
The Concert

I've just come out of the movie, "The Concert".

Normally I only cry at brave men fighting impossible odds, but I cried at, "The Concert", and so did everyone else - to Tchaikovsky's violin concerto.

Go and see it.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)

What a waste of time. Marlon Brando was its only saving grace.

The only good thing that came out of watching that movie was Smoov-E/Mac Dre's "Hot Jalapeno" which sampled about one second of music from the movie.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
3:10 To Yuma

I'm not big on westerns, and I loved this movie. Definitely one to watch again.

Mole

Permabanned
The Prince of Persia

I've just seen the movie, "The Prince of Persia".

It is an American group fantasy pitched at adolescents by the Hollywood group fantasy machine.

And it is no surprise that the group fantasy is completely transparent and deals with the group fantasy of adolescents - sex.

It is barely disguised with a phallic dagger the centre-piece of the whole movie.

And guess what - the dagger is a magic phallic dagger, just as adolescents like to think of the phallus as magic.

Naturally the movie has a happy ending, just like the American Dream, with the magic phallic dagger finding its rightful place.

And all the other elements of American group fantasy were there, from the fantasy of commoners becoming princes to good hearted entrepreneurs. It was the American Dream writ large without the slightest hint of analysis or critique. For analysis and critique would wake the audience from their adolescent group fantasy.

However the production values were fantastic as you would expect with a budget of ten of millions of dollars. All in the hope of making more than tens of millions in return.