User Tag List

Page 26 of 265 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast

Thread: What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

& Badger, Ratty and Toad Array Mole's Avatar

Default The Godfather, the Knight-Errant and Antigone

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    [Don] Corleone was also sort of a terrorist.
    Good heavens, Heart, Don Corleone was the Godfather.

He looked after his family.

And his family looked after him.

He was Godfather to the whole family.

Sometimes they broke his heart; and sometimes he had to pull them into line.

And you can only understand Don Corleone through his opposite, Don Quixote.

Both were on a mission - Don Quixote to save chivalry and the honour of his love, Dulcinea - and Don Corleone to save the honour of his family in the modern world.

Don Quixote tilted at Windmills while Don Corleone tilted at the Made Men of other families.

Don Quixote was imaginative while Don Corleone was a realist.

Both were brave men. But bravery didn't save them - both of them ended up in great melancholy.

Both fought bravely but were fated to lose in the end.

Both are tragic figures - the playthings of fate. They are in a direct line from Ancient Greek Tragedy. And we are left with catharsis at the end of each play.

But what wonderful tragedies they gave us. Don Quixote the first novel. And Don Coreone the great movie of the present day called, "The Godfather".

Could we imagine Don Corleone without first imagining Don Quixote?

And could we imagine either of them without first imagining Antigone?

Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I saw Max Payne yesterday. I think sticking needles in my own eyes would have been infinitely more entertaining and even poetic.

It's a shame, because yet again, Hollywood has taken a well-written game of cinematic quality and pissed all over it by omitting all of the game's most penetrating themes from the movie. It's almost as if film producers assume that video gamers are halfwits incapable of grasping a quality story. The film also suffered from a distinct lack of character development and a very predictable and shallow story line with next to no twists.

The only thing the movie did get right was the look. Max Payne looks as if the video game's interpretation of New York City in winter was transferred to reality. Unfortunately, the movie fails to address the symbolic nature of the snow, something that the game did address -- and ironically, critics slam video games for not being art.

It's a shame, because Max Payne could have been a far more epic and meaningful movie than it ultimately ended up being.

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I saw Max Payne yesterday. I think sticking needles in my own eyes would have been infinitely more entertaining and even poetic.

It's a shame, because yet again, Hollywood has taken a well-written game of cinematic quality and pissed all over it by omitting all of the game's most penetrating themes from the movie. It's almost as if film producers assume that video gamers are halfwits incapable of grasping a quality story. The film also suffered from a distinct lack of character development and a very predictable and shallow story line with next to no twists.

The only thing the movie did get right was the look. Max Payne looks as if the video game's interpretation of New York City in winter was transferred to reality. Unfortunately, the movie fails to address the symbolic nature of the snow, something that the game did address -- and ironically, critics slam video games for not being art.

It's a shame, because Max Payne could have been a far more epic and meaningful movie than it ultimately ended up being.
    Hey Uber my old Fuhrer, I saw Max Payne too.

I've never seen the game so I thought it was Film Noir, in the same style as Sin City.

I enjoyed the soundtrack. And thought it was quite Noir.

I can still see the Dark Angel coming for the mad warrior.

However I couldn't help remembering that WW II was fought on amphetamines - huge vast amounts of amphetamines.

And amphetamines have similar effects as the blue drug in Max Payne.

So Max Payne is a very old story about a very old drug.

But the story of amphetamines during WW II has been suppressed in the interests of the War on Drugs.

But really, amphetamine is a berserker drug. And unfortunately some are going berserk on our streets.

And while it is good to go berserk in battle, in the suburbs it is wise to preserve decorum.

heart on fire Array

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Good heavens, Heart, Don Corleone was the Godfather.

He looked after his family.

And his family looked after him.

He was Godfather to the whole family.

Sometimes they broke his heart; and sometimes he had to pull them into line.

And you can only understand Don Corleone through his opposite, Don Quixote.
    To understand Don Corleone one must know Luca Brasi, the sadist who needed someone to be masochistic towards. Corleone discovered him and then Luca bore the blood on his hands, no longer Corleone. From then on Luca carried Corleone's darkness in his own heart and acted on it out of love for the only person he could respect. And he was a terrorist so that Don Corleone could be a Godfather. Terrorists are good allys for Big Daddy figures to have.

To understand Don Corleone one must know Luca Brasi, the sadist who needed someone to be masochistic towards. Corleone discovered him and then Luca bore the blood on his hands, no longer Corleone. From then on Luca carried Corleone's darkness in his own heart and acted on it out of love for the only person he could respect. And he was a terrorist so that Don Corleone could be a Godfather. Terrorists are good allys for Big Daddy figures to have.
    Sure, you always need someone to do the dirty work.

heart on fire Array

Sure, you always need someone to do the dirty work.
    Which is why the world as it is now will never be free of terror. It's too valuable in keeping people in line and people don't want to believe in the connections between the Godfathers and the Luca Brasi they cultivate.

...people don't want to believe in the connections between the Godfathers and the Luca Brasi they cultivate.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to persuade us he doesn't exist.

heart on fire Array

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to persuade us he doesn't exist.
    I never disagreed about this statement.

I never disagreed about this statement.
    So you see, Heart, we agree.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Array Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I saw Quarantine.

If you watched and were disgusted by the diseased, you are a hypocrite.
    we fukin won boys