User Tag List

Page 215 of 265 FirstFirst ... 115165205213214215216217225 ... LastLast
Results 2,141 to 2,150 of 2647

Thread: What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

Senior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü™ View Post
    ^ It suffered the same problem as 300 2, while the first movies of both franchises were impressive and stylish when they came out, the sequels just seemed very commonplace. In the case of Sin City 2, however, the whole thing just felt rushed. I couldn't get interested in it. There was nothing that really stood out and the whole thing felt like a TV movie. I think I'm going to remember The Spirit more than I will remember Sin City 2, and that was the movie's biggest sin.
    I've never read the Sin City comics but I suspect the first movie was an adaptation of the best of them. A Dame to Kill For was... okay... but the rest of the stories in the sequel film just weren't anywhere near as compelling. I thought the Nancy-Sen. Roark story was the least compelling of the them all, and was a little sad when I learned that that story was a new one written specifically for the film. In the original comics the end of that storyline is the same as the end of the first movie: Hartigan kills himself. That was a much more satisfying ending than the one cooked up for the sequel; it felt tacked on and wrapped up too well, too happily-ever-after for that comic book world.

Sin City: A Dame to Kill For bombed pretty badly this weekend, less than $6.5 million in box office receipts. That's a brutal opening weekend for a big film.

Senior Member Array

Speaking of movies that wrapped up a little too happily-ever-after I saw The F-word, a.k.a. What If in the US and UK, starring Daniel Radcliffe and Zoe Kazan. There is an epilogue set 18 months after the main events of the film that I learned was tacked on after the film was shown at the Toronto International Film Festival last year. It didn't ruin the story by any means but I kind of wish they'd just stopped the movie where they had intended to in the first place. It's a little more open-ended but I don't have a problem with that.

Otherwise it was a very satisfying romantic comedy. I was very happy that the two romantic leads are actually shown falling in love. And they fall in love because they actually talk to each other, like normal people do, not because the goody-two-shoes wants to change the bad-boy, one of them has terminal cancer, or any of the other typical tropes that gets tossed into a montage.

I watched A Coffee In Berlin after a friend recommended it. I really liked it, it reminded me of Frances Ha but it's better because of the darker themes. The protagonist in Frances Ha is clueless but adorable whereas the protagonist in this film is intelligent but apathetic due to cynicism. I could relate to that more and I laughed in this film 'cause of the deadpan delivery, obnoxious characters, and bizarre stage performances. Worth the watch, definitely.
    Night is another candle

& Badger, Ratty and Toad Array Mole's Avatar

Default Locke

I saw the movie Locke last night. It is a truly excellent movie, a work of art. Go and see it.

Click on the trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_METW96TAFw
    There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing.
    Click on http://www.online-literature.com/grahame/windwillows/1/

Understanding McLuhan 1974 - Full lecture Living in an Acoustic World | University of South Florida - YouTube

an abyss of Nothingness Array Arctic Hysteria's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    I saw the movie Locke last night. It is a truly excellent movie, a work of art. Go and see it.

Click on the trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_METW96TAFw
    Unfortunately I was not a fan of it.
    | | | If it is god who makes man, this is the devil finishing touches | | |

MBTI
    ISTx

Locke was aw-ful.

MBTI
    FiSi
    Enneagram
    937 sp/so

I rewatched Black Swan after reading more about the Apollonian/Dionysian dichotomy, and now I think the movie is fairly conceptually interesting. I hated it the first time I saw it, but now I consider it pretty good, if a bit overrated. I still consider it too melodramatic/emotionally empty, and a little too abstract, "unreal", and purely conceptual (Apollonian, maybe) for my tastes.

The Wicker Man (1973 version) was pretty haunting. The ending is going to stay with me for a long time.
    “If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us.” - Hermann Hesse

& Badger, Ratty and Toad Array Mole's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Hysteria View Post
    Unfortunately I was not a fan of it.
    Yes, the movie Locke did not pander to popular tastes.

It did not push the usual buttons pushed by popular culture.

Locke is a cinematic work of art, and requires a cultivated taste to be enjoyed.

Yes, Locke is for those with good taste.
    There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing.
    Click on http://www.online-literature.com/grahame/windwillows/1/

Understanding McLuhan 1974 - Full lecture Living in an Acoustic World | University of South Florida - YouTube