• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

Mole

Permabanned
Gran Torino

I've just come out of, "Gran Torino".

SPOILERS:

It's about a clinically depressed man who commits suicide.

Of course anyone who has seen the movie knows it is not about a clinically depressed man who commits suicide.

But if you are deaf to irony, than you are simply that: deaf.

You step up to the plate but you can't see the ball.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mole

Permabanned
Someone has just interfered with my post and called it a, "spoiler".

I am quite sure they haven't seen the movie or understood my post.

In fact if you see the movie, you will think it is quite different from what I think it is about.

So I have not spoiled the plot for you at all.

What I have done is add a gloss to your understanding of the movie. I have certainly not spoiled it.

However whoever interfered with my post tried to spoil my post. And they did it out of ignorancea, vulgarity and very likely malice.

So I ask you to stop spoiling my posts.

SolitaryPenguin

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Well, I did see it this past weekend, and your take on it is quite interesting.

But you did reveal something that people may not know going in, so I think it does warrant the spoiler tag.

Mole

Permabanned
Well, I did see it this past weekend, and your take on it is quite interesting.

But you did reveal something that people may not know going in, so I think it does warrant the spoiler tag.

Let me put it to you.

Do you believe your Constitution gives you the right to bear arms?

And does this influence your opinion of my post?

MrME

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I tried watching Step Brothers the other night and had to turn it off after an hour. I went in hoping it would be more than just Ferrel and Reilly acting like 12-year-olds, but I was wrong, and it got really old really fast.

2/10

Mole

Permabanned
Gran Torino

What I said the movie is about is not what the movie is about.

This is called irony.

Mole

Permabanned
Revolutionary Road

I've just come out of the movie, "Revolutionary Road".

And it is a perfect indictment of those who smother and destroy creativity.

And how relentless they are. And how pervasive.

And how so many have been undone, and lead live of quiet desperation.

And what a mistake it is to seek creativity in the empty and shallow - they will drag you down like a dark current.

It is far better to leave the pseudo men and dependent women and go to Paris yourself.

Far better to be down and out in Paris than immured alive in the suburbs.

And how better to avoid the living death of the corporations and follow your inner delight.

Inner pleasure and delight are a gift and only takes courage to grasp.

Go and see the movie and see yourself.

Snoopy22

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Django - advertised as the most brutal spaghetti western ever made, it's not. It is poor plot and acting.

The Hunter - Steve McQueen continued making better films the older he became. Also based on the real life bounty hunter, not that you can ever trust hollywoods interpretation.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Kite Runner

Set in Afghanistan / USA from the late 70's pre-Russian invasion, through to the insane horrors of the Taliban regime, this charming film follows the lives of two young boys, Amir and his servant friend Hassan - the eponymous kite runner. It is by turns harrowing, moving, and thought-provoking yet manages to avoid excesses of gratuitous violence or mawkishness which the themes of war, rape, child abuse, religious and tribal fanaticism might have invited. It is a study in friendship, the ugliness of cowardice, the nobility of moral courage, and ultimately, the hope of redemption. The cinematography is superbly understated as are the performances by an largely unknown cast.
Highly recommended.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I saw "Gran Torino" yesterday and understand what you are saying, I think, Victor.

But what I watched on UTube last week was fascinating. It's a documentary called "Crazy Love." And it's the true-life story of a lawyer who threw acid in his beloved's face because he loved her so much and couldn't own her!

He served time in prison for this crime and, during his prison sentence, (which was also during the riot at Attica) he assisted many prisoners with his legal skills and actually got some of them out of a death sentence.

During all this time he wrote love letters to his beloved whom he had disfigured and blinded. When he came out of prison he again pursued her and, with the help of a security officer who had been assigned to guard her safety, (that never happens anymore!) he made arrangements to meet with her.

She married him and they have been together for decades. It was reported in the news that he had also developed a fascination for another lovely while he was married and when she spurned him, threatened her with references to what he had done the last time he was rejected.

His wife stood by his side and testified in his favor at the trial. They remain happily married. Hee.

It's quite a watch!

heart

heart on fire
I've just come out of the movie, "Revolutionary Road".

And it is a perfect indictment of those who smother and destroy creativity.

And how relentless they are. And how pervasive.

And how so many have been undone, and lead live of quiet desperation.

And what a mistake it is to seek creativity in the empty and shallow - they will drag you down like a dark current.

It is far better to leave the pseudo men and dependent women and go to Paris yourself.

Far better to be down and out in Paris than immured alive in the suburbs.

And how better to avoid the living death of the corporations and follow your inner delight.

Inner pleasure and delight are a gift and only takes courage to grasp.

Go and see the movie and see yourself.

I've seen bad reviews for this movie here, but unsure if those were accurate or not. Was it as good as "Man in the Gray Flannel Suit"? Same kind of theme.

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Seen lots of movies lately.

Revolutionary Road: boring. sucked.
Defiance: boring. sucked.
The Reader: boring. sucked.
Doomsday (the post apocalyptic Scotland one): fun. ruled.
The Vanguard: zombies. cool ending. ruled.
Quantum of Solace: boring. had cool, well choreographed fights, and Daniel Craig looking hard. so, I'll go with ruled.
The Square (small Australian thriller/black comedy): awesome. great acting. ruled. recommended.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The Big Easy (1987) - 8/10

Remy LeBeau from the X-Men is based on Dennis Quaid's charming Bacchanalian cop from New Orleans, Remy McSwain. His fascination with the D.A., Ellen Barkin (Anne Osbourne, who is blond and adorable) is what makes women watch this movie in the first place (because the second half of it is pretty gory).

Dennis was a god then. The scene where he cuffs two perps to his car (a convertible pimpmobile to die for) and another when he finally wins her over (Anne says "I've never had much luck with sex..." and he says "Your luck is about to change!") is worth the rental. Wicked, but very sweet.

ESTP- ISFJ interaction du jour. A truly enjoyable pairing to watch.

MrME

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Burn After Reading -- 7/10
Dry and deliberate, slowly building the situation until it becomes comically ridiculous. If you like other Coen Brothers films, you'll probably like this.

Pineapple Express -- 4/10
Not particularly funny nor engaging. I found myself drifting in and out of sleep during the middle. Some of the violence (and there is a LOT of it), seemed really out-of-place.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The Scent of Green Papaya (1993) 4/10

Boo, hiss. I quite liked the beginning portions of this film too. Quiet storytelling can be very well done and it was nice to see her limited world (though I thought it was too artificially empty, considering it takes place in Saigon and all and Vietnamese culture is not so... quiet). Over-romanticization and the falling anvils masquerading as symbolism in the second half were not appreciated. (Also the actress portraying Mui at 20 was weaker.)

The first half was infinitely more interesting, and the second half should've expounded further on it (seeing how those circumstances affected the men the sons grew up to be, the passing on of people, the passing of the torch from the mother to the main character- how she learned). Instead it didn't seem like she learned anything at all. And the problematic thing of the pianist primarily falling for her silent devotion for him, her perfect serving-ness and her beauty rather than ... ever talking. Learning anything about her. Of course, why would a man want a talkative "Westernized" woman, he wants a silent servant girl? But he still wants to change her a little.

Thematically, the end-game isn't bad, but the way it comes about irks me. Ah, of course, it is the role of the woman to be perserve the traditions, regardless of the fact it might make her incredibly unhappy, while men feel free to pursue to their heart's content. It's good that the move from the grandmother (close-minded) to the mother (in love, unhappy) to the main character (pretty happy), but the inaction of the main character and the "taking" of the woman is just so archaic.

And in the end, it just didn't feel very... "realistic", in that the characters weren't very nuanced or fully formed in the world that they were supposedly coming from. I compared the women in this film to my grandmother, and the extent to which they were portrayed just fell short. My grandmother would probably be between the ages of the mother and the main character- she had an overbearing mother-in-law, she lost her husband at a young age, had to be the breadwinner, she was a mother, a daughter, a teacher, a cook, a full-fledged human being. I didn't get that from this movie. The characters lived in a bubble- and the movie deliberately ignored historical events (that would've had a huge impact on the character's lives, and intersected with the personal events that *were* mentioned): Japanese occupation, First Indochina War, Vietnamese separation, etc. Especially glaring considering the thematic portrayal of the "French/Western"-ness (of the pianist, and his fiancee) and the same natural-silent-"Vietnamese"-ness of the main character.

Great sound mixing though. The sounds of nature intensely permeating. To the point where you don't know a siren from an airplane from a cricket and the soundtrack or the piano. Very impressive use to convey meaning through the music.

Last edited:

Mole

Permabanned
"He's Just not That into You".

I've just seen the movie. The theatre was packed and it was a good movie.

Good characters. Good story. Quite sophisticated. I was surprised.

I really enjoyed it. And I even had tears on two occasions.

All the time I was thinking, what should I do if I find she is not that into me. But the movie doesn't give a simple answer.

The obvious answer is, move on. But the movie was really about the drama and feelings and of finding someone you love, and losing someone you love.

It was a movie about relationships - something girls learn at an early age with best friends, but something men only start to learn at puberty. And are never very good at it.

So we learn all about finding and losing relationships from women. But in the meantime we think we are in charge. How wrong we are.

mysterio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Funny Games

At the library recently I grabbed this horror suspense movie, which turned out to be a remake by the same director of the same film from 10 yrs ago. When I saw Tim Roth and Naomi Watts on the cover I didn’t really need to know anything else.

Not a great movie, but definitely intense. It’s riveting while you’re watching it, especially if you didn’t really know what it was going to be about and didn’t see it coming. Afterward it seems less plausible, though there is a sort of quasi-Scream explanation suggested near the end, which makes makes the film’s events seem more plausible within their context.

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Ah, Funny Games. I was pissed off for a good 4 hours after watching that. Not going to say anymore but...yeah. I liked it because it was (very) different, but I perceived some statement on the part of the director that bothered me.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I saw Slumdog Millionaire last night and it really floored me. I had zero expectations to begin with and found myself radiating with enjoyment the whole time. Superb eye-opener.

HJNTIY was pretty good too.

Both are movies I'd see again.