User Tag List

Page 20 of 265 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast

Thread: What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

MBTI
    NSFW
    Enneagram
    6w7

Couldn't find my night vision binoculars or telephoto lens.

What would Veronica Mars say?

Banned Array
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by sciski View Post
    Couldn't find my night vision binoculars or telephoto lens.

What would Veronica Mars say?
    "I can't seem to find enough cheesy roles to play"

Banned Array
    MBTI
    type

Well I have to sleep, it's been a looooong night, my goodness! *yawn* lol. I hope to hear back about this Duchess business.

& Badger, Ratty and Toad Array Mole's Avatar

Well, I must say, I am a little disappointed with, "The Duchess".

But I shouldn't be disappointed because it was a beautifully produced film.

The period was done beautifully. The character acting was excellent. The drama between the desire for wealth and position, and the desire for children, and the desire for love, was played out in front of our very eyes.

But to me, at least, it lacked the creative spark.

It was predictable but most of all, it was special pleading.

It was special pleading from the women's eye view - in particular, the eye of the Duchess.

We saw her desire for position and wealth. We saw her desire for children. And we saw her desire for love. And we saw the conflict she was caught in.

But the price we paid for seeing it through the eyes of the Duchess was that we did not see it through the eyes of the Duke.

The Duke was a cardboard cutout ogre.

This diminished the film and turned it into a sermon - and it was a sermon in the conventional wisdom - and preached to the converted.

In short it was an excellent period piece that was an artistic failure.

So you can see I need your support, not to act out my identification with the characters, but to bear my disappointment.

Still, I love going to the movies. And even a bad movie is a good movie. Thanks for listening.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I am just about to walk up to Manuka to see the, "Duchess".

Manuka is the name of a New Zealand bush and you may be wondering why Canberra's premier suburb is named after a Kiwi bush. So you must remember to ask me at another time.
    So the planner of the area thought NZ might join the Confederation of Australasia...

Pity the movie sucked. Better luck next time.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    So the planner of the area thought NZ might join the Confederation of Australasia...
    Look Wolfy, I'll tell ya, but you must keep it quiet, particularly in New Zealand - you must be discrete. Because New Zealand is part of our Constitution. So New Zealand could join us tomorrow if she wished.

Kiwis are very sensitive about their independence so we never mention this in front of them - and nor will you.

Canberra has roads radiating from Parliament House to every State in the Commonwealth. You have Sydney Avenue and Perth Avenue and Melbourne Avenue and so on. But there is no Wellington Avenue. Wellington being the Capital of New Zealand.

In fact this unnamed avenue goes right place my home pointing directly at the heart of Wellington. But to save New Zealand feelings we don't call it Wellington Avenue. That would be needlessly provocative. So we disingenuously call it Canberra Avenue.

But we haven't given up completely because we have named the shopping centre beside this avenue, Manuka. And a manuka is a New Zealand bush, a Kiwi bush.

So we are, as you can see, discrete and cunning - rat cunning.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I met one of Georgiana Cavendish's direct descendants at Penn. She was very rich and very hot.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Look Wolfy, I'll tell ya, but you must keep it quiet, particularly in New Zealand - you must be discrete. Because New Zealand is part of our Constitution. So New Zealand could join us tomorrow if she wished.

Kiwis are very sensitive about their independence so we never mention this in front of them - and nor will you.

Canberra has roads radiating from Parliament House to every State in the Commonwealth. You have Sydney Avenue and Perth Avenue and Melbourne Avenue and so on. But there is no Wellington Avenue. Wellington being the Capital of New Zealand.

In fact this unnamed avenue goes right place my home pointing directly at the heart of Wellington. But to save New Zealand feelings we don't call it Wellington Avenue. That would be needlessly provocative. So we disingenuously call it Canberra Avenue.

But we haven't given up completely because we have named the shopping centre beside this avenue, Manuka. And a manuka is a New Zealand bush, a Kiwi bush.

So we are, as you can see, discrete and cunning - rat cunning.
    Victor, I'm a New Zealander!

Australia and NZ have so much in common.

but

NZ must remain independent.:SaiyanSmilie_anim:

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Victor, I'm a New Zealander!

Australia and NZ have so much in common.

but

NZ must remain independent.:SaiyanSmilie_anim:
    Good God, Wolfy, the cat's outa the bag now. And I think we should be thinking of renaming the Commonwealth to include you good people across the Tasman. And we can change the name of the street outside my window to Wellington Avenue.

C'mon Wolfy, we have a good free trade agreement, your Ministers attend our Ministerial conferences. Good heavens, you are ANZACs.

Of course you do speak a strange form of English - but no one's perfect.

But don't think of it as giving up your independence. Think of it as joining the Greater Commonwealth.

And just think - you will be able to receive visits from nuclear warships.

Now I can't offer more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I met one of Georgiana Cavendish's direct descendants at Penn. She was very rich and very hot.
    So she was very rich and very hot. But what about her inner life. What was she like as person? Was she happy? Was she well balanced? Or did she smother her inner life with drugs in order to present her rich, hot image.

Imagine we were looking at her from the inside. What would we see?