• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Jessica Jones, season 1. X-Files handled this theme much better but I did enjoy the series.

Lark

Jessica Jones, season 1. X-Files handled this theme much better but I did enjoy the series.

I agree with you about the casting in that show, he does become truly hateful as an adversary and I was glad they finished it how they did (also that it has a lasting legacy for the character in question) but I also thought it was unconvincing, while its a pretty specific power that guy has he seemed to be about as powerful as Thanos at one point. Totally unstoppable. At least to anyone with a conscience and anything at all to lose.

I liked the show but I wouldnt have thought it was your cup of tea Tellenbach, what did you think of Iron Fist? I liked it too, even the disappointing final season.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Lark said:
I liked the show but I wouldnt have thought it was your cup of tea Tellenbach, what did you think of Iron Fist?

I don't have Netflix so I haven't seen it; I only watched Jessica Jones because Walmart was selling the DVD for $10.

Lark

I don't have Netflix so I haven't seen it; I only watched Jessica Jones because Walmart was selling the DVD for $10.

Oh, I see, well, I dont know when it will get a physical copy release but when it does I recommend Good Omens, its on Amazon Prime at the moment, its a great book too BTW.

Lark

I am watching this show about Americans called Good Girls and its ironic because its three bad bitches.

Bad in terms of wicked bad aswell as badasses, they do robberies and are friendly with money launderers and stuff.

I think its class. Its one of a bunch of shows that clearly have the message that Americans are a bunch of crooks. Capitalism is basically the crook ideology.

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I just watched, perhaps, the worst story ever.
And yet, the line: "“I am full of ordinary sounding words. But when I say them, and you are there to hear them, all is well with everything.” " Makes perfect sense to me :D

Just wrapped up Blake’s 7.

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So I saw a stream of "Dark Phoenix" last night, just for the hell of it.

Yeah, pretty much underwhelming and inconsequential. It's not the worst superhero movie I have seen, it's just utterly pointless. I'm still torn on whether it or "X-Men: Apocalypse" was more boring to view.

Fox just never really grasped what to do with the X-Men. They couldn't get a consistent cast, and then they never really grasped how to make the characters people rather than just collections of powers. (And often, they didn't even figure out how to make use of said powers interesting, if they were going that route. There were actually a few interesting applications in DP in the latter half of the film.)

It is just bland and toothless and trivial. I'm not sure how you fuck up the story of Jean Grey, it's all mapped out in the comic. If they had simply done the Zack Snyder thing and used the comic book as the script and frame, that would have still been preferable to this.

Their casting is not great either. I mean, they hire good actors but they don't really seem to fit with the established properties (well, except for Cyclops, which is hilarious -- because the biggest complaint about him in the comic too is that he's just another bland white guy with insecurities and kind of uninteresting... so I guess they nailed that). One of my biggest annoyances is how they shoved Jennifer Lawrence into the Mystique role and made her a good guy, she's nothing like the original Mystique; she became so uninteresting. They also hired Sophie Turner to play Jean Grey, although her personality is nothing like Jean... she basically got this job because she's got red hair and she was in GoT. (She's not a bad actress, but she needs to be cast right.)

Oh, and hell, let's toss in Jessica Chastain. She's another great actress who you should be writing a part for, not just making her a generic baddy with a role it sounds like she's improvising everything for as she goes.

This story is underwhelming. I think only Michael Fassbender gets by with a pass because he's simply good regardless, but the Magento role is half a muddled mess here.

Overall problem? Besides never really knowing how to establish the characters and make us care about them, they didn't want to put in the time to do real story-building like MCU has done with their 20-movie arc. Think about it. The Dark Phoenix story is one that took about 35 issues of X-Men (three years) or more to resolve.

I mean, Marvel mucked up the Jean Grey story because it could never leave well enough alone, but the original arc was great, which is why Fox has tried to do it twice. However, it never wanted to do it right. It simply wanted to cash in on the emotional payoff without doing any of the character building necessary to make it spectacular. And now instead of some big epic tale involving a force that could destroy the cosmos, the story remains very tiny despite it... being... a ...force... that could destroy... the ... cosmos? It's not clear, because we never really see the force get that big.

It's just kind of amazing that you could take something with great source material and make it so boring, bland, and tiny.

Lark

I cant get this movie out of my head, I think its an australian movie, its centred on a restaurant or pizza delivery firm and they tell the same or broadly similar story from four different perspectives, they over lap is what I mean, so you might see someone riding a bike in one scene and its in the background but in another scene the camera is centred on them and you see someone in the background stuck in a dumpster.

I think there's a sequence in which a guy takes a delivery for another female worker because he thinks that they are being forced to make deliveries to a guy who some old perve who never leaves the house but as it turns out they have been choosing to make the delivery there because he always orders two pizzas or something like that and they always give them one of them to eat.

So I am trying to figure that one out.

And I'm watching this odd old movie called good burger which has awful special effects and which might be racist, I'm not sure.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
^Yeah, but that wasn't the only surprise.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In recent months:
Caught up on Channel Zero. SyFy network is doing something right, still.

Watched all of Deadwood, including the new finale film. Never saw the series before this. Glad I gave it a chance. Far exceeded my expectations. Such a strong cast, good writing. Doesn’t matter that it was a Western, of sorts.

Mindhunter on Netflix. Rewatched. Guy who plays Ed Kemper deserves an award. Impeccable.