User Tag List

Page 158 of 265 FirstFirst ... 58108148156157158159160168208258 ... LastLast
Results 1,571 to 1,580 of 2647

Thread: What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Don't get me wrong. I hated 2012 and Prometheus, too. It's just that I have a special level of hatred reserved for von Trier because his films are nothing more than documentation of his own trifling self-indulgence.

It wasn't that I was more "bored" by Melancholia than 2012 (good Lord, I couldn't even make it through 2012 because it was headache-inducing), it's that Melancholia was extremely stupid and pretentious. One needs no comparison films to come to that conclusion.
    Some of the earlier stuff is funny.. albeit disturbingly funny (The Idiots). It's like master trolling, put to film.

I think Prometheus is well done as a film, but I'm tired of the underlying thought behind stories like that (or other sci-fi from Scott). The message seems to be that exploration, science, discovery, the future.. all of it is a pandora's box, with some ungodly monstrosity ready jump out and rape you in the ass. It's a conservative type of take on science fiction. He's not alone on it though, either. So many writers are afraid of the unknown. I don't care to indulge it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I have a special level of hatred reserved for von Trier because his films are nothing more than documentation of his own trifling self-indulgence.
    Why does that earn your hatred? I wonder why you'd bother to watch Melancholia if you feel that way about its creator?

It wasn't that I was more "bored" by Melancholia than 2012 (good Lord, I couldn't even make it through 2012 because it was headache-inducing), it's that Melancholia was extremely stupid and pretentious. One needs no comparison films to come to that conclusion.
    What was so stupid about it?
    Have you ever been depressed? I don't think I've ever seen a better depiction of the catatonic state of severe depression on film...

I guess the fact that his work produces such strong emotion in you is something of a recommendation. There is so little in modern cinema to become animated about in any way... Hatred probably pleases him as much as praise... Possibly more. He is INTP, after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

Brake.
    This flick is bizarre. Terrorists lock a secret service agent in the trunk of a car and torture him in an attempt to gain information.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Why does that earn your hatred?
    Because he's a hack? I dislike him in the same way I dislike anybody who is bad at their job.

I wonder why you'd bother to watch Melancholia if you feel that way about its creator?
    I will generally watch anything once. Plus, I actually didn't mind Dogville, so I was open to the idea that he may actually have made something decent for the second time in his life. You never know.

Oh, and I'm a fan of Charlotte Gainsbourg.

What was so stupid about it?
    Witnessing hours of ennui take place on screen is not my idea of a productive use of the film medium. After a while it just seems like this was a film by a guy who had no good ideas, but who decided to fill the space instead with art film tropes and Wagner in the hopes that these could make up for the lacking vision. The end result? A tedious, pretentious little film that could give Enter the Void a run for its money in terms of sheer pointlessness.

Have you ever been depressed? I don't think I've ever seen a better depiction of the catatonic state of severe depression on film...
    No, I've never been depressed. After reading Prozac Nation, however, I did discover that it's just a really fucking boring subject.

I guess the fact that his work produces such strong emotion in you is something of a recommendation. There is so little in modern cinema to become animated about in any way...
    No, it's more like the difference between seeing a fender-bender and a train wreck. You would be more affected by the train wreck than by the fender-bender, but only because it's that much more horrible.

Hatred probably pleases him as much as praise... Possibly more.
    Yes, because he's so pretentious and full of himself that he takes it as a sign that he's doing something right...something provocative. He thinks he's a provocateur, and no amount of "no, Lars, your shit is just bad" would convince him otherwise.

He is INTP, after all.
    INTP? That's a weird one, even with N bias. I would have thought (with N bias in mind) that he would be called INFP or some other F before INTP.

I really just think he's an ISFP, though. He's almost the worst stereotype of one, unfortunately...big feelings (Fi), little ideas (bad Ni and bad Te), mix it in an audio/visual medium (Se), et voila!
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Because they were all up on Lars Von Trier's jock, and still are to some extent (even though he ruined shit for himself with his stupid Hitler comments at Cannes.) His films really are good examples of how a person can take a dump on a piece of paper and call it art.
    The other movie that frequently gets a free pass is 2001. Although I like the movie, it's really little more than a special effects demo reel, which is a common criticism of today's movies. The fact that 2001 reached classic status is no excuse, and ultimately, 2010 was the better movie overall.

No, I've never been depressed. After reading Prozac Nation, however, I did discover that it's just a really fucking boring subject.
    I've been depressed, but it is a boring subject. Probably one of those "you had to be there" things. Or maybe that's Se talking.

Temporal Mechanic. Array Lexicon's Avatar
    MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

TOM WAITS cameo on The Simpsons.
    *swoon*

http://gorillavid.in/1pu27gzlzhbv

03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    xxTP

Prometheus was a pile of shit. The intro scene was the best in the film, says it all.

I just watched The Fighter, liked it a lot, 8.4/10.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

and it's nice enough to
    make a man
    weep, but I don't
    weep, do
    you?

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw or gryffindor (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!