• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m watching Jumanji. Pretty good so far.

The original or that sequel that just came out a few years ago? The original is a classic, yet the latest version isn't that bad if you allow your brain to turn itself off and simply enjoy it for what it is.

Hermit of the Forest

Greetings humans • Hunting
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The original or that sequel that just came out a few years ago? The original is a classic, yet the latest version isn't that bad if you allow your brain to turn itself off and simply enjoy it for what it is.

The more recent one. I’ve never seen the other.

Lark

So I have watched up to about episode 5 of the second season of O/A and its good, well, its watchable, it feels like the first season being repeated from a slightly different angle because that is what is going on, I liked a lot of themes in this the first time around and they are still there thing time around, some of them being developed on, which is good.

I also watched the first episode of HANNA on Amazon Prime, which is probably Amazon studios rival for O/A, at least I think its no accident them being released at the same time. Its good, or at least watchable like the other one. I sort of dont think the original movie could be captured in a TV series, although at the time I did say it would make a good TV series. However, I did think the movie was like a much more serious/brutal version of The Prisoner, at least it had some of the surrealistic elements of The Prisoner or so I thought. More than the actual reboot TV series of The Prisoner did.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I didn't see the new one. I enjoyed the old one and watched it a few times, but I don't really see the need for a remake. Obviously, I'd be a terribly Holloywoo executive.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
I didn't see the new one. I enjoyed the old one and watched it a few times, but I don't really see the need for a remake. Obviously, I'd be a terribly Holloywoo executive.

It's not so much about need so much as recognizing an obvious opportunity to cash in on an existing intellectual property which already has an established fanbase -- it's the low-hanging fruit of film. All you have to do is add in a few big named, flavor of the month celebrities and a script, and you've pretty much got a license to print money.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Fist of Legend. It's not as racist as the original but it's still racist. Tarantino allegedly memorized every line of this film - all 10 of them. :D

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just saw Jordan Peele's "Us" this morning. Damn. Glad I went. It is a prime example why you need to have a director who can handle drama (and also, maybe humor) in order to make a horror film sing -- and also why you hire a lead cast that actually can act. Horror shouldn't be treated like a dump genre, full of talentless hacks, unless that's the outcome you want. Lupita Nyong'o nails this role, and the sweetness is exacerbated by Elisabeth Moss, who while playing a secondary character manages to sell the middle of this film. Both are so damned expressive and capable of creeping the audience out. I don't know how to act like this in terms of delivery and facial expressions, but I admire it deeply.

I liked this film better than "Get Out," honestly. Also, it's one of those films worth a rewatch once you've been through it once, to see if you view it differently. What I love is that all the clues as to one of the major plot points are present in the film but you can still basically miss it -- Shyamalan (in his few good films) and Jonathan Nolan are capable of misdirection as well, in their best work. I kinda figured everything out shortly before the film's end, but it took me longer than expected. Still, I love films that make me think AND that play fair (where all the detail is right there in front of your face, if you can figure it out in time).

Superficially, this film scans at first like a home invasion movie, but becomes far more as it unfolds. There's also some social commentary that could be read into the film.

---

And then, as counterpoint, I just watched the original "Pet Sematary" with Dale Midkiff and Denise Crosby, directed by Mary Lambert. It's a piece of inert shit, like petrified dung. It has a few moments, but what's 6-7 minutes of "decent" in a 104 minute film? Kudos to Fred Gwynne and the kid playing Gage, they are like the MVPs of this film but as secondary characters just cannot save the picture. While superficially hitting all the major plotlines in the book, this film is a dead corpse, it fails to really connect with the audience or catch why the book can be so unnerving and emotionally devastating. I saw it probably a good 20-25 years ago or so and forgot how awful it truly was. I was hoping Lambert's directing film died after this picture, but now I read that she went on to make a good 10-15 more really bad b-rate horror flicks.

I will try to catch the remake that just came out this weekend, for comparison.

Neal Caffreynated

Artist/Playboy/Traveller
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
To Catch a Thief, it aired on TV in France tonight

Classic films are the best in my opinion :D Ive already watched this one several times but I don’t get tired of it - its too bad they don’t make movies like these now

Lark

Star Trek Discovery.

Dude, it started out so, so week for such a strong finish. What a show.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Restaurant Impossible is back and they even brought back the old designers. I love it when Robert Irvine tells these screw-ups that they're really terrible at their job.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Star Trek DS9 featuring the lovable pair of Garak and Bashir whom I ship :p.

I’m just at the beginning of Season (series) 3 of Blake’s 7.

I love the depth of character development for a 1970’s show. Television back then usually hit the reset button every episode but these characters (at least Blake and Avon) live and change and not always for the better. Definitely a strength that my favorite show Farscape shared.