User Tag List

Page 14 of 265 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Over the past few weeks I have seen Walk Hard and the Bank Job.

Walk hard was pretty funny, to me it was funny in a similar way to a toned down airplane/naked gun (Though obviously with music.) I hadn't seen any oif the recent music biopics, so may have missed a bit of humor (though some of it I could figure out.)

The Bank Job I liked also, had the suspense, lots of guys bumping into each other, double crossing thing working pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I also find Saving Private Ryan to be horrendously overrated. The Thin Red Line was the superior WWII film of 1998. It was much better-looking than SPR, too, and that is usually a latter-day Spielberg strong point.
    It's so interesting that you say this. I thought Saving Private Ryan was by far the best film of 1998, and I always use The Thin Red Line or Mulholland Drive as my examples when I want to make the point that respected directors can get rave reviews for dreck based on reputation and the positivity effect.

It just goes to show that taste is a very personal thing with a lot of variance, even among experts in a particular discipline.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    It's so interesting that you say this. I thought Saving Private Ryan was by far the best film of 1998, and I always use The Thin Red Line or Mulholland Drive as my examples when I want to make the point that respected directors can get rave reviews for dreck based on reputation and the positivity effect.

It just goes to show that taste is a very personal thing with a lot of variance, even among experts in a particular discipline.
    If you remember 1998 as much as I do, there weren't very many good movies to come out that year. Along with 2000, 1998 was probably one of the worst years for movies in my lifetime. I have to agree with pure_mercury. I also thought Saving Private Ryan was very overrated. Although I didn't see The Thin Red Line.

I can think of a decent number of good 1998 movies: Pi, Dark City, American History X, The Big Lebowski, As Good as it Gets, The Last Days of Disco, Rushmore, Jackie Brown

Maybe I'm the only one who likes those, and they may not be favorites, but it seems about average for a given year.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    I can think of a decent number of good 1998 movies: Pi, Dark City, American History X, The Big Lebowski, As Good as it Gets, The Last Days of Disco, Rushmore, Jackie Brown

Maybe I'm the only one who likes those, and they may not be favorites, but it seems about average for a given year.

Decently deep year in 1998. Shakespeare in Love was a non-deserving (but enjoyable) Best Picture winner. Rushmore is definitely my favorite movie of that year, and, to this day, the best Wes Anderson film. As Good as It Gets was actually released in December 1997, in order to get Oscar consideration. Affliction, A Bug's Life, Central Station, The Truman Show, There's Something About Mary, Happiness, Pleasantville, and Elizabeth were all good movies, too. Oh, and personal favorite Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels, although it didn't make it over to the States until 1999.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post

I like both of your overrated examples a lot. I am not a huge Lynch fan (I think Eraserhead is completely silly, for example), but I can get down with Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart, and Mulholland Drive. I am very big on Terrence Malick, though.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I got back from seeing The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor. I actually thought it was pretty good. Surprisingly, it was not a typical Rob Cohen film in that it wasn't overly serious in tone. It was just a fun movie to sit back and enjoy. Returning characters continue to seem to enjoy playing their parts, much like the first two. Although the film takes place in 1946, and I am puzzled how Brendan Fraser has remained looking so youthful over the years. But I suppose that's merely a technicality, since the movies aren't meant to be taken seriously. It also seems that there may be another film, as this one was kept open for one.

MBTI
    N358

Saw Spiderman 3. It was ok. I didn't like the mushy parts, which was most of the movie. Peter was actually tolerable when he binded with the symbiote and stopped acting like a total pussy. The effects were nice. The casting sucks. The only guys that were really fit to their part were MJ, Jonah Jameson, and Sandman.

emm..As far as positive comments on the movie..Venom is a badass.

Sniffles

I hardly watch movies nowadays. I spend much of my free-time reading.

So I haven't seen the latest Indiana Jones movies. I used to be a fan of the earlier ones, particularly how it oddly tied into the actual history involved. The Nazis did actually send archeological expeditions around Europe and other parts of the world trying to discover lost civilizations and artifacts(including the Holy Grail in southern France).

A good source to read about this is Himmler's Crusade: The Nazi Expedition to Find the Origins of the Aryan Race by Christopher Hale.

I have heard that this time Jones is fighting the Soviets as opposed to the Nazis. Again, this oddly ties into the actual history; since during the 1950's Soviet archeologists were at the forefront in research concerning the Mayan civilization. This is especially true with the work of Yuri Knorozov.

hey ma! got a tatoo Array prplchknz's Avatar
    MBTI
    yupp

Across the Universe