User Tag List

Page 136 of 265 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146186236 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,360 of 2644

Thread: What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

Meat Tornado Array DiscoBiscuit's Avatar
    Enneagram
    8w9

@Nicodemus: I have a revised assessment of the Newsroom.

While I still enjoy the show, and it is certainly one of the better/best shows on TV right now, it has not quite fully lived up to my expectations.

I would think the hardest thing about doing a show like the Newsroom would be to keep ones ideology out of the scripts and let things play out as really would.

For a couple of episodes now, I've gotten the feeling that some of what we are hearing are Sorkin's views on real events as opposed to the events themselves.

This doesn't happen all the time, but with certain ongoing story lines, I'm seeing Sorkin describing overarching plots by monied interests on the right that I think they are too fractious and competitive to create.

I understand that the Koch brothers do some shady shit. And I also understand that they are part of the problem.

At the same time however, I don't see their actions as indicative of some grand plot on the part of monied interests on the right.

They only act as self interested as we allow them too, and they are too competitive with one another to execute any grand multiparty plot with regards to a deregulatory movement or pushing other interests out of the national political picture (in this case Teachers Unions).

The monied interests on the left that have arisen post Citizens United will continue to serve as a counterweight the the PAC's (super and otherwise) on the right. I will concede that the right has more experience using $$ this way and currently may enjoy an advantage over PAC's on the left, but by the next presidential cycle, they will have learned and be neck and neck with the right on the super PAC front.

I also had hoped that a Conservative like Will McAvoy would have wanted to address our governments tendency towards bureaucratic largesse, or any other number of issues that plague our nation.

I understand that some conservatives are a sizable portion of the problem, and that getting our national political discussion to a more civil place is important, but without highlighting mistakes made on both sides of the isle, this show is not going to appeal those who need to see it most, and will ultimately keep it from being as great as it could be.

I still love the show and look forward with great anticipation to each weeks new episode, but I'm not quite the fan boy I once was.

I loved the Jenga analogy that Olivia Munn's character used to explain the price of financial deregulation.

Also her explanation of the pass and repeal of the Glass-Steagall was factually excellent. Although her response to Mackenzie's question of "did it work" was a little doe-eyed if you ask me.

I hate to admit that I'm enjoying whatever is going on between Jim and Maggie.

The Newsroom gets right much more than it gets wrong, but without a more even handed perspective it could devolve into the same kind of mouthpiece for opinions of those writing the show, that it purports to be fighting against.
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

Starcrossed Seafarer Array Aquarelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Been watching Louis C.K.'s Seinfeld-esque show, Louie, and I love it. Sooo funny!
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

& Badger, Ratty and Toad Array Mole's Avatar

The Cat's Meow

I watched, "The Cat's Meow", and saw Randolph Hurst, the robber baron murder a collegue and get off scott free.

But I couldn't help thinking that if he didn't have a gun in his pocket, he wouldn't have murdered anyone, and there would have been no need to corrupt the criminal justice system.

Banned Array
    MBTI
    ISTP

Memento.

Peace on Earth, dammit Array Thalassa's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

J. Edgar

I liked the beginning, and though I found the movie partly slow or depressing...meaning I'd rate it as "eh average, worth watching once"...at least I understand him better now, the events and aspects of his life and personality that made him who he was.
    "Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul." - Edward Abbey

"In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks. I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled." Daniel 10:2-3

Fasting for Advent

Give Vegan

SEE-Fi /Gamma

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    While I still enjoy the show, and it is certainly one of the better/best shows on TV right now, it has not quite fully lived up to my expectations.
    I am disappointed as well.

I would think the hardest thing about doing a show like the Newsroom would be to keep ones ideology out of the scripts and let things play out as really would.

For a couple of episodes now, I've gotten the feeling that some of what we are hearing are Sorkin's views on real events as opposed to the events themselves.

This doesn't happen all the time, but with certain ongoing story lines, I'm seeing Sorkin describing overarching plots by monied interests on the right that I think they are too fractious and competitive to create.

I understand that the Koch brothers do some shady shit. And I also understand that they are part of the problem.

At the same time however, I don't see their actions as indicative of some grand plot on the part of monied interests on the right.

They only act as self interested as we allow them too, and they are too competitive with one another to execute any grand multiparty plot with regards to a deregulatory movement or pushing other interests out of the national political picture (in this case Teachers Unions).

The monied interests on the left that have arisen post Citizens United will continue to serve as a counterweight the the PAC's (super and otherwise) on the right. I will concede that the right has more experience using $$ this way and currently may enjoy an advantage over PAC's on the left, but by the next presidential cycle, they will have learned and be neck and neck with the right on the super PAC front.
    I have seen 'The West Wing', so I am not surprised to find Sorkin's point of view here, too. It does not bother me much, though, because I am neither a Republican nor an American and certainly more of a liberal than a conservative.

I also had hoped that a Conservative like Will McAvoy would have wanted to address our governments tendency towards bureaucratic largesse, or any other number of issues that plague our nation.
    That may still follow, although I would welcome it if some of the usual memes of the American way of thinking about politics were left out. The idea that 'big government' is necessarily bad is an ideological proposition that may be useful at one point but against even your interests at another. It is limiting to think like that. It reminds me of the notion that raising taxes is always bad, which is astonishingly idiotic and betrays a poor understanding of national economy.

I understand that some conservatives are a sizable portion of the problem, and that getting our national political discussion to a more civil place is important, but without highlighting mistakes made on both sides of the isle, this show is not going to appeal those who need to see it most, and will ultimately keep it from being as great as it could be.
    I expect Sorkin to be enough of a moralist to punish some people on 'the other side', too. This two-sides way of thinking is another problem in your country, by the way. Every time someone blames 'the Republicans' for doing what a Republican has done, millions are blamelessly blamed, they are pissed and eager to retaliate. Then rational discourse becomes close to impossible. I believe the way the issues are framed accounts for an immense amount of inefficiency in your daily politics.

I still love the show and look forward with great anticipation to each weeks new episode, but I'm not quite the fan boy I once was.
    I am hoping they will find an actual actress to play Mackenzie. Emily Mortimer is a constant annoyance to me.

I hate to admit that I'm enjoying whatever is going on between Jim and Maggie.
    I find it very, very boring. Maggie is annoying, too. And Don seems to be completely superfluous.

The Newsroom gets right much more than it gets wrong, but without a more even handed perspective it could devolve into the same kind of mouthpiece for opinions of those writing the show, that it purports to be fighting against.
    At this point I am much more concerned about its qualities as a series. It looks like a crude machine thinly wrapped in silk. They need characters that are interesting in themselves and not merely through the conflicts they are in. Too much pathos, too.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaKxLJLj19E&feature=youtu.be"]Ginger Kid Dies at the End[/YOUTUBE]

Enneagram
    8w9

The director of The Hurt Locker has a film about the Manhunt for Bin Laden coming out in December.

I'm stoked.

[YOUTUBE="vcBjOVKKxh0"]Zero Dark Thirty[/YOUTUBE]
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

Banned Array
    MBTI
    ISTP

I hope it is better than The Hurt Locker.
    Most overrated movie in the past ten years.

Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Duck_of_Death View Post
    I hope it is better than The Hurt Locker.
    Most overrated movie in the past ten years.
    You sure do hate a lot of movies, that those who make a living critiquing films seem to like.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so