• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Re-watching "Dexter". <3

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Re-watching "Dexter". <3
I could never get into the shows after reading the books - the books are so much better. I do like the actor who plays Dexter and the way they handle the voice-overs, though.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Anyone else checked out The Young Pope? Kinda bizarre, but I liked it. Amazing locations and everything. I kinda forget that it's Jude Law, which is good.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Re-watching "Dexter". <3
You know I will totally respect your opinion EJCC and you may of course disagree, it's just that.. he's just really unrelatable at least how the show treats it and to me he has the morality of a 15 year old angsty teen. I'm still on early season 1 and stopped. I just feel bad after watching the shows. His life is a bit in the dumps with a gf who was a previous rape victim and so has a hard time doing his fun time with him which makes sense, but still it sucks for both of them. He doesn't really know how to feel. Maybe he completely changes, IDK. Maybe he doesn't. I just feel like are you're just as much as the monster (not actually you EJ just speaking in general) as the killer for wanting to kill people in such terrible ways, just wrapped in a different package that work for law enforcement. Although the villains in the show are really gruesome themselves. But I just can't help it that it is so unrealistic.

Sorry I just had to say that somewhere. Feel free to totally ignore what I say, I know it's with a lot of ignorance given I have only watched like 7 episodes.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I could never get into the shows after reading the books - the books are so much better.
You know, I loved the first book, but after that it got too dark for me! Specifically

I also appreciate that there's character development in the show. The impression I got from the books was that he stayed pretty consistently sociopathic, with no capacity for love. Which is more realistic, but also not quite as interesting for such a cerebral and psychoanalytical TV show.

I do like the actor who plays Dexter and the way they handle the voice-overs, though.
He is perfect for that role. The role of a lifetime. So good at walking the line between sympathetic and horrifying.

Also: incredibly attractive. The character is a monster, but the man is... mmm. <3

You know I will totally respect your opinion EJCC and you may of course disagree, it's just that.. he's just really unrelatable at least how the show treats it and to me he has the morality of a 15 year old angsty teen.
He veers between ISTJ and INTJ -- I suspect ISTJ most of the time* -- and I relate to how they portray his morality. Something that he doesn't think very deeply about, and that he is extremely defensive of, precisely because it's so weak and fragile, built on such a thin foundation. Makes sense that you as a 4 wouldn't relate to that.

I find him relatable for a lot of other e1 / TJ-related reasons, sociopathy notwithstanding.

*It's hard to know, because it's possible that what appears to be Si is entirely learned, and what appears to be lack of Ni foresight may be sociopathic impulsiveness.

I'm still on early season 1 and stopped. I just feel bad after watching the shows. His life is a bit in the dumps with a gf who was a previous rape victim and so has a hard time doing his fun time with him which makes sense, but still it sucks for both of them. He doesn't really know how to feel. Maybe he completely changes, IDK. Maybe he doesn't. I just feel like are you're just as much as the monster (not actually you EJ just speaking in general) as the killer for wanting to kill people in such terrible ways, just wrapped in a different package that work for law enforcement.
His relationship with Rita becomes much more nuanced over time. I understand the moral conundrum, but I treat it the same way I treat any other show with morally ambiguous lead characters. Hard to describe, but it's a more detached viewing process in many ways.

I also don't watch it while being excited about him killing people -- that's like saying people watch medical procedurals so that they can see people being operated on. That's not the main attraction. When "Dexter" fans say things like that, it creeps me out.

:shrug: It may not be your thing. But for 4-5 seasons, it was mine.

EDIT: I failed to mention one of the main reasons why it is so appealing to me, especially early on: It is so funny. Incredibly funny. Dark and snarky and great.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You know, I loved the first book, but after that it got too dark for me! Specifically

I also appreciate that there's character development in the show. The impression I got from the books was that he stayed pretty consistently sociopathic, with no capacity for love. Which is more realistic, but also not quite as interesting for such a cerebral and psychoanalytical TV show.
The character development comes at the expense of some serious plot shenanigans. If you notice, the first TV season combines the styles of the killers of the first couple of books, a big no-no as these serial killers by nature follow a very distinctive and individual style. There was no need for that, and it made me instantly leery of what else the producers were going to play fast and loose with.

He veers between ISTJ and INTJ -- I suspect ISTJ most of the time* -- and I relate to how they portray his morality. Something that he doesn't think very deeply about, and that he is extremely defensive of, precisely because it's so weak and fragile, built on such a thin foundation. Makes sense that you as a 4 wouldn't relate to that.

I find him relatable for a lot of other e1 / TJ-related reasons, sociopathy notwithstanding.

*It's hard to know, because it's possible that what appears to be Si is entirely learned, and what appears to be lack of Ni foresight may be sociopathic impulsiveness.
I find his internal thoughts often quite relatable. There has been plenty of debate over his type. At least in the books he shows plenty of Ni foresight/planning, which is why he is so "successful" in what he does. I wonder if the type ambiguity comes because he really is INTJ but is trying to be ISTJ, in living by Harry's code.

cosmic royal

Phoenix Flame
MBTI Type
xNTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Episode 5 of the 2nd season of Bungou Stray Dogs. I'm laughing at F. Scott Fitzgerald's materialism.

Fate

I'm not sure if YouTube videos are allowed. Educate me.

Warning: Just for horror thrills.
Well-made stuff (not saying it's fake).

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm not sure if YouTube videos are allowed. Educate me.

Warning: Just for horror thrills.
Well-made stuff (not saying it's fake).

You know... That music just makes this whole thing simply relaxing to watch. Not scary. :offtobed: I really wish I knew that adorable tune. Useful little sleep aid.

All these caught on tape mysteries though, they're quite interesting.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Netflix's A Series of Unfortunate Events.

cosmic royal

Phoenix Flame
MBTI Type
xNTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just finished the 2nd season of Bungou Stray Dogs. Absolutely marvelous.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
saw moonlight and fences yesterday. both good movies, but i loved moonlight.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I finished Lost. :blush:

I had no problems with the ending. Yeah I realize some details weren't resolved but most of it made sense to me by the end. Kind of not super clear but enough where I could enjoy the show without a big WTF? :yes:

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Finally saw Star Wars: Rogue One. I'm not a Star Wars fan but this one is better than most of the previous ones in the series.

PalebloodHunter

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Saw The Founder. Michael Keaton is magnetic as always but this is pretty much a re-skin of The Social Network written by someone who is not Aaron Sorkin.

Saw Kubo and the two strings next. I think it's the closest we'll have to The Legend of Zelda as far as movies are concerned for a good while.

both movies could have done with an extra 30 mins to flesh up some arcs.