• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

93JC

^ It suffered the same problem as 300 2, while the first movies of both franchises were impressive and stylish when they came out, the sequels just seemed very commonplace. In the case of Sin City 2, however, the whole thing just felt rushed. I couldn't get interested in it. There was nothing that really stood out and the whole thing felt like a TV movie. I think I'm going to remember The Spirit more than I will remember Sin City 2, and that was the movie's biggest sin.

I've never read the Sin City comics but I suspect the first movie was an adaptation of the best of them. A Dame to Kill For was... okay... but the rest of the stories in the sequel film just weren't anywhere near as compelling. I thought the Nancy-Sen. Roark story was the least compelling of the them all, and was a little sad when I learned that that story was a new one written specifically for the film. In the original comics the end of that storyline is the same as the end of the first movie: Hartigan kills himself. That was a much more satisfying ending than the one cooked up for the sequel; it felt tacked on and wrapped up too well, too happily-ever-after for that comic book world.

Sin City: A Dame to Kill For bombed pretty badly this weekend, less than $6.5 million in box office receipts. That's a brutal opening weekend for a big film.

93JC

Speaking of movies that wrapped up a little too happily-ever-after I saw The F-word, a.k.a. What If in the US and UK, starring Daniel Radcliffe and Zoe Kazan. There is an epilogue set 18 months after the main events of the film that I learned was tacked on after the film was shown at the Toronto International Film Festival last year. It didn't ruin the story by any means but I kind of wish they'd just stopped the movie where they had intended to in the first place. It's a little more open-ended but I don't have a problem with that.

Otherwise it was a very satisfying romantic comedy. I was very happy that the two romantic leads are actually shown falling in love. And they fall in love because they actually talk to each other, like normal people do, not because the goody-two-shoes wants to change the bad-boy, one of them has terminal cancer, or any of the other typical tropes that gets tossed into a montage.

Raffaella

bon vivant
I watched A Coffee In Berlin after a friend recommended it. I really liked it, it reminded me of Frances Ha but it's better because of the darker themes. The protagonist in Frances Ha is clueless but adorable whereas the protagonist in this film is intelligent but apathetic due to cynicism. I could relate to that more and I laughed in this film 'cause of the deadpan delivery, obnoxious characters, and bizarre stage performances. Worth the watch, definitely.

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I rewatched Black Swan after reading more about the Apollonian/Dionysian dichotomy, and now I think the movie is fairly conceptually interesting. I hated it the first time I saw it, but now I consider it pretty good, if a bit overrated. I still consider it too melodramatic/emotionally empty, and a little too abstract, "unreal", and purely conceptual (Apollonian, maybe) for my tastes.

The Wicker Man (1973 version) was pretty haunting. The ending is going to stay with me for a long time.

Mole

Permabanned
Unfortunately I was not a fan of it.

Yes, the movie Locke did not pander to popular tastes.

It did not push the usual buttons pushed by popular culture.

Locke is a cinematic work of art, and requires a cultivated taste to be enjoyed.

Yes, Locke is for those with good taste.

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, the movie Locke did not pander to popular tastes.

It did not push the usual buttons pushed by popular culture.

Locke is a cinematic work of art, and requires a cultivated taste to be enjoyed.

Yes, Locke is for those with good taste.
Man, you certainly assume too much. I can go on and on with you about European and Asian experimental and arthouse films. But sure, anybody who doesn't appreciate Locke must belong to the pop culture trash bag. What a laugh.

Mole

Permabanned
Man, you certainly assume too much. I can go on and on with you about European and Asian experimental and arthouse films. But sure, anybody who doesn't appreciate Locke must belong to the pop culture trash bag. What a laugh.

No need to get hysterical. It is simply a matter of taste.

I tasted a gem of a movie. Simple, beautifully executed, emotionally satisfying - except I am still wondering whether the cemet pour was a success.

What do you think? The cement pour was the largest outside a nuclear reactor or a military installation. But what do you think, do you think the pour was a success?

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
There was nothing original or special about Locke. I think I recall it having a cool song in it though... It wanted to be stylish and cool, but there just was nothing compelling about it in my opinion.

Mole

Permabanned
There was nothing original or special about Locke. I think I recall it having a cool song in it though... It wanted to be stylish and cool, but there just was nothing compelling about it in my opinion.

Yes, it was a simple movie beautifully executed.

I would describe it as a pallate cleansing movie.

Mole

Permabanned
God Is Not Dead

I saw the movie God Is Not Dead the other night, and it has high production values, in other words, a lot of money has been spent on this film and its distribution.

It is though a propaganda film of American Protestant Evangelicals.

The propaganda I have heard many times before, and is classic American Protestant Evangelical propaganda.

Of some interest is how they demonise an atheist philosophy professor, make a public fool of him, and have him make a death bed conversion to American Protestant Evangelicalism.

I guess I am surprised that American Protestant Evangelicals are so wealthy and powerful they can project their classic propaganda across the world into commercial movie theatres.

This explains to me why Americans take Protestantism for granted, and so naturally think we should too.

Raffaella

bon vivant
The spirit of the beehives which has been on my to-watch list for years and I finally got around to watching it. I haven't written a review on it yet so all I can say at the moment is... ohmygod :wubbie:.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I finally saw Pulp Fiction way better than expected considering I couldn't stand Django or the Kill Bill series. Not usually a fan of taratino films, feels like they try to hard.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I finally saw Pulp Fiction way better than expected considering I couldn't stand Django or the Kill Bill series. Not usually a fan of taratino films, feels like they try to hard.

Watch Jackie Brown, you'll actually like it, he didn't write it himself. I do like Tarantino, but he is very self-indulgent, and you know how it is with successful directors, they're pretty much just entertaining themselves after the bucks start rolling in.