• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

D&D 4th Ed. Character Creation Help

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I'm new to the game, I'm about to make my second character (my first was a Cleric). I was wondering if anyone could give me a bit of advice and guidance.

I'm looking to make a character who is an absolute powerhouse. I'm thinking very high HP, very high damage in close combat. Probably a striker as well as a defender -someone who can take a lot of damage and dish out a lot of damage as well, serving as a blockade for other party members and as the frontline fighter. Powerful weapon, heavy armor.

I have PDF's of all three handbooks, and its looking like I'd want to be a Paladin, Fighter, Barbarian, or maybe a Warden? I'm not entirely sure. And for race probably human or perhaps Goliath, Dragonborn, or even Minotaur?

I suppose I'd want my trained skills to rest mostly in things relating to physical prowess (athletics), and perhaps diplomacy/intimidate, and heal would be nice.

So far I know one party member is going to be a half-elven Ranger with a bow, and it sounds like one guy wants to be a sorcerer or something.

What kind of race/class combination would achieve this and what else should I consider in order to make a character who isnt so optimized as to screw over everyone else?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I was a Goliath Barbarian, and it worked out VERY well as a tank/damage dealer. I'd suggest just finding a heal bot elsewhere in the party, but if you have high HP you probably won't need healing. I never needed such an ability, and we didn't have a heal bot.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I wanted heal partially so that we didnt need to necessarily have a healbot in our party -if several people can heal decently, wouldn't that eliminate the need for one? I dont fully care about healing myself (especially with such high defense and HP), but about having the option to heal others.

But I suppose it may be unnecessary for a character like that to heal at all, and perhaps the Wisdom skill could be better used for something else. Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I wanted heal partially so that we didnt need to necessarily have a healbot in our party -if several people can heal decently, wouldn't that eliminate the need for one? I dont fully care about healing myself (especially with such high defense and HP), but about having the option to heal others.

But I suppose it may be unnecessary for a character like that to heal at all, and perhaps the Wisdom skill could be better used for something else. Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot!

Just look at this from a non-nerdy perspective for a second:

When you think Barbarian.. you think Conan, right? Big, strong, huge.. does he need to heal? FUCK no. He kills shit. Rawr.. and .. chest beating.. monkey noise? .. Whatever.
The point is! You don't put wisdom into someone meant to be a dumbass. Your sorc will have loads of Wisdom, bum off of him. Everything you have should go towards the things you will do the best at--because honestly, you'll fall short with wisdom-oriented things either way.. but you'll have less points towards succeeding at the things you CAN win at.

The jack-of-all-trades approach is an okay one to have, especially for something like a Warlord who helps out party members.. Having a warlord would actually help out a lot.. I think I remember an ability in his thing allowing people to heal or something like that. How many dudes are playing? just the three of you? Either way, I'd tell the sorc to do the healing bits. Leave the meat shields to be meaty.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
There are five party members. I suppose you're right; there's no way other bases won't be covered. I still want my guy to have some kind of charisma though :p

I'm still considering a paladin though... but this gives me a pretty solid idea!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Paladins are fantastic tanks, ours worked out EXTREMELY well with the Warlord in the game too. :) Don't worry so much.. If you want a more versatile character, there are ways of creating one.. but chances are, unless you've played for years and years at the same times and people, you won't be using this character as often as you think. Better to put all this effort and creating into some things that work extremely well, and leave the rest up to chance and the story.

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
Go avenger. Githzerai /w pursuit. They have no armor, yet they're impossible to hit and do a ton of damage