User Tag List

123 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Default Star Wars: The Old Republic is going to shock the MMO world.

If you haven't heard about it, Star Wars: The Old Republic (swtor) is an upcoming MMO from Bioware (makers of Knights of the Old Republic, Mass Effect, and Dragon Age). The Game will focus heavily on the players story and how that weaves into the greater story of what's going on in the Game Universe. Also, it will be the first MMO that will be fully voiced (including the player character).

I've been following this game's development since they announced it in '08, and I think it will change the entire industry.

Here are the three cinematic trailers they've released over the last three years at E3.

[YOUTUBE="DOvbv-LkK6w"]Deceived[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="1ToztqqDcaY"]Hope[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="MfNhs6sh3_Q"]Return[/YOUTUBE]

I hope I'm not the only one here who is going to play this game, it looks incredible.

Here are a few progression videos of several of the in game classes.

[YOUTUBE="8y20xZQ2eUM"]Jedi Knight Progression[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="_h12gIcovuI"]Sith Warrior Progression[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="2zKjfgAJu_s"]Republic Trooper Progression[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="z4OT2GgrtqA"]Bounty Hunter Progression[/YOUTUBE]

Here are a few trailers for some of the other classes.

[YOUTUBE="X6MNcbQdS24"]Inquisitor Trailer[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="uh20VA5PBOY"]Smuggler Trailer[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="HBBb3ad-8D4"]Imperial Agent Trailer[/YOUTUBE]

I couldn't find a good Jedi Consular trailer, but they're basically a more force power focused Jedi class like the Inquisitor is for the Sith.

These videos are just the tip of the ice berg. The game is set to release sometime in the second half of this year and I can't wait.

Hopefully some of you guys know about this game, and are looking forward to playing it just like I am!

More to come.

MBTI
    INtP

I've been a big BioWare fan for years, back to the Baldur's Gate era, grew up loving Star Wars, and spent way too much time on MMO's back in my day, so I definitely had interest in this. It certainly does look like it has potential. Ironically, it was Knights of the Old Republic that threw me off of MMO's (I was surprised at how much more fun I had with KoToR than MMO's). Having said that, this is a *lot* to bite off, in terms of fan expectations... BioWare and Blizzard are the only two developers I'd really give much of a chance at doing it (EA, however, who bought BioWare, is *not* among them... but as most of this was designed pre-EA, I'd say it still has a chance).

I do wonder how they're going to keep the Star Wars mythos alive, though... it's always seemed to me that an overwhelming number of people would want to play Jedi/Sith... and providing any incentive to play other classes in terms of game balance sort of diminishes the setting of Star Wars. It will be interesting to see if they can pull it off, though.

Having said that, I'm not planning to play. My time playing MMO's ended years ago. As enchanting and gripping as they can be, the model is almost inherently imbalanced... I've got a fair bit of experience playing them (understatement ), and they seem to always devolve into a Skinner Box rat-race. The content is simply too expensive to create for anything but a subscription model, which always drives a "how do we keep people playing longer" style of gameplay.

So yes, I'm interested in it (those videos are impressive), and hope that it does well... but won't play .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I think my first character might be a trooper actually.

That second trailer was really the clencher for me.

It's the most expensive project EA has ever worked on (which is saying something), and I have full faith that Bioware is pulling the strings, while EA just signs the requisite checks.

The reaction the game is getting from beta testers has been pretty universally positive.

Most have said that after playing swtor it's pretty difficult to go back to playing other mmo's.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

<most likely to play a storm trooper, imperial agent or bounty hunter.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

It looks good, but I too won't be playing it because it's an MMO. Looking forward to hearing some of the music by Lennie Moore and Mark Griskey though.

Banned

This thread with its many videos certainly shocked my world. No doubt I will dip my feet in sooner or later.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

[YOUTUBE="dMuwLbcTICI"]Swtor interview with Bioware and Lucas Arts[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="Eab0Ys7znH4"]Player ship space combat[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I am following the development of SWTOR now to for some years and am always eager to read new articles in the local games magazine. I will most probably not be able to play it and if only very rarely. I have gotten so involved in real life lately, my job is demanding more and more responsibilities, I am working on my doctor degree ( PhD ) and I am about to found a family and build a house. I'ld be able to play with my gf MMO's b ut she's no StarWars fan. I played WoW with her for 5 years but now times are changing.

I hope for SWTOR to become a success, I do not think it will revolutionary change the MMO world but it will most definitly replace WoW. I imagine WoW to die out slowly like counterstrike back in the days, if anyone of you still know that game. I tho do think they will not get full control of the Jedi / Sith balance. This was difficult in the last StarWars game and will be in the next. Dunno, I hope they do and I hope for spacefights aswell
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I have the same concerns about class balance vs Jedi/Sith ,but I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out once it's released. It's a great franchise, despite how much Lucas himself tried to wreck it with the latter three movie releases, and it thrives well in the hands of people who actually know what they're doing.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

SWTOR is a unique puzzle for me. Everything I've seen in terms of actual gameplay scream cookie cutter and dull MMO fare, with nothing in terms of interesting twists or new game mechanics to build on the MMO formula. However, the focus on the personal hero story has me intrigued. I'll most likely treat it as a single player game, play through a couple of classes to experience their stories, and be done with it. Without the Star Wars license and the focus on telling a story I think the game would be very uninspiring and mediocre.