User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Everyone has their vice.

Show me one who says otherwise and I'll show you a liar.

I would argue that cell phones have had a more detrimental impact on the quality of human interaction than MMO's ever could.

I don't think so for different reasons. I'm not going to list them all cause I have to go, but these are the ones that just popped in my mind: 1. you can't put out a fake persona effectively while speaking on the phone, which has a moderating effect, 2. speaking on the phone is usually less fulfilling since you don't see an image of your partner and you can't imitate doing activities together (which are not true in case of an MMO), 3. phone calls are not attached to an imaginative frame (see the world of Azeroth).

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

The user base of cell phone users is hundreds of times larger than that of MMO's.

When you're playing an MMO, you are not being distracted from RL in the same way you are from phones.

People don't drive into oncoming traffic accidentally because they're playing an MMO. Texting kills people on roadways.

MMO's can allow those who lack social skills to develop them where they otherwise would not (if just in some small capacity).

Also the kind of people that play MMO's as obsessively as you mention more than likely have the kind of problems that would manifest themselves elsewhere were MMO's not available.

Let's get back to talking about SWTOR though.

It's looking like it's going to be released in oct. and I can't wait!

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I hope they make SWOTOR one of the pioneer games in an IT cloud, so you can play it as videostream on your cell phone. That would be cool, boring meetings -> adieu c'est la vie !
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INtP

Okay, I just watched the cinematic trailer presented at this year's E3... It was hilarious at how blatantly they ripped off any number of scenes and characters from at least 3 or 4 of the movies, but... *wow*. Incredibly, incredibly well done. Frankly, it was better than a lot of the actual movie sequences were. It's a cinematic, and not actual gameplay video (unlike some of Disco's videos above, I think), but still... very impressive.

Almost makes me interested in playing this when it comes out.

I think I'll go watch it again... I don't usually like watching videos online, but this one is particularly good for an old Star Wars fan like me.
    Last edited by kelric; 06-12-2011 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Watch it in fullscreen-HD if you can.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

I have followed the development of SWTOR since the announcement in 2008. The magazines, news articles, local Gamestop employees and offical website have kept me eager. This in spite the fact that I can list the games I've played in the last 4 years on one hand. So, needless to say, I'll be picking this MMO up when BioWare releases it. And then creating my Jedi Knight. Then, if the Knight class sucks, I'm moving onto Smugglers. Then, if that sucks, I'm chalking this up as being an epic, storied failure to Star Wars Galaxies. Remember that bullshit? Me too. I was stuck playing that MMO in my teens for a year (off and on) until I gave up on SOE's inability to execute an amazing idea. I was patient. They've got a team of geniuses working over there....

However, I've seen the potential of BioWare and SWTOR, and I doubt anything lame will come from this project. At the very least, I'll likely enjoy the story; BioWare's bread & butter. Knight of the Old Republic (beside Halo ofc) made the X-Box worth the purchase, Jade of Empire was good, and Mass Effects - give me a break. There is no question they've got the RPG of the MMO experience down pact. The real question lies in if they are going to do anything fascinating with the MMO element.

From what I've heard, the drop date looks like it'll be sometime in October. So, if they get the iCloud off the ground, maybe I'll get to play in the back of class. And even if they don't, I still might - laptop in tow.
    Oh, its
    You

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Remember that bullshit? Me too. I was stuck playing that MMO in my teens for a year (off and on) until I gave up on SOE's inability to execute an amazing idea. I was patient.
    Haha yea.

SWG gave SOE just enough rope to hang itself.

And hang itself it did.

The core concept of galaxies was actually pretty interesting to me (the whole social experiment player run everything aspect).

If you have been following TOR closely I recommend Darthhater.com

I haven't seen another site cover the released info as thoroughly.

Hopefully we can get a few TypoCers on the same server and play together a little when it drops.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I pre-ordered the morning they allowed them. Just got regular version though.

Oddly, I still think as an MMO it's going to be hideously unoriginal. As long as the leveling and story experience is entertaining I'll consider it worth the purchase. I'll definitely try to complete it within that free month.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

I have avoided the MMO genre. This may however be the game for me to take the leap. However I would have prefered if there was an Xbox360 version as I am also adverse to playing games on PC
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

There is now a release date. 12-20-2011. I'm just glad to know when the wait will be over.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost