User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

If they actually started to make a game like this set during the original trilogy, I might be tempted. But the Old Republic is just lame.
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Did it ever occur to anyone that bioware WANTS you to think it will change the mmo industry?

It's called marketing hype. mmo's are still mmo's when you peel away the fluff.
    I WEAR A SOMBRERO TO WORK AND EAT TACOS FOR LUNCH AND FIRE MY PISTOLS IN THE AIR WHEN I'M HAPPY

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

^ Thank you Captain Obvious.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

But the Old Republic is just lame.
    Lol. Ever heard of Star Wars Galaxies?

That was set during the original trilogy and didn't work out too well.

The problem was that I didn't fit with canon that there would be as many sith and jedi running around as there ended up being. Also, the factions were quite unbalanced as the empire had most of the power during that time period.

During the old republic, a time period which bioware has spend almost a decade fleshing out, the factions are well balanced and there are tons of force wielders running around. So the realities of the game end up fitting well with the time period.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Yeah, the Old Republic is a far more ripe time period in which you can take more creative license with the universe. Ultimately I think it's far more interesting. Like Disco said, you run into canon problems and can't do as much when it's set in the movie timeline. Although Galaxies' failures go beyond setting. Actually, I bought a couple months worth of Galaxies for the space combat alone. Made a shipwright, min/maxed the hell out of my TIE Interceptor, danced across the skies.

/nostalgia

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I enjoyed the social experiment aspect of SWG quite a bit myself.

It wasn't a bad game before SOE cocked it right up.

It's "going to shock the MMO world", great news. Even more people ensnared by a virtual reality, spending most of their time on their computers consoled by the comfortable illusion of belonging somewhere...? More addicts and mental issues, less active workers and less resources to actually progress in our world? When was it the last time we landed on the Moon? Why aren't we exploring planets, where are the great inventions of the last century? I'm not talking about fucking iPad.

Further entanglement in virtual systems does not help humanity imo, we need to expand. Instead of using our increasing power to find meaning in this world, we re-create the eggshell we've already left behind to protect ourselves with fake truths. MMOs seem to take us closer to our peers while in reality, we're further and further alienated. I'm not happy.

[/rant]

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Says the guy spending time on an internet forum.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

It's a legitimate concern, but not one unique to MMOs. You may as well indict entertainment as a whole, from film to fictional literature. I would argue that those who become addicted to such escapism would simply find something else to fill a particular void.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Says the guy spending time on an internet forum.
    I've expected a little more than that from you.

Small dose = medicine, bigger dose = poison.

1. Internet forums do not require three-four hours of active presence on a daily basis. Ever played WOW? You either stay a 'noob', or you take your gameplay on a professional level, in which case you have to join a team, and if you play any LESS than they do, you'll be kicked out. It's a lot more time-consuming, and you have to stick to a strict schedule even if it hurts your real life achievements/relationships.

2. The level of addiction is not even comparable because of the complexity and "realness" of an MMORPG. Real graphics, sounds, gameplay etc. MMOs are lot better substitutions to real life than an internet forum will ever be, and thus they are more dangerous.

3. There is an ever-increasing and fragile second economy based on developing people's characters and managing virtual transactions, in which the "supplier" gets paiment for slaying fake orcs in a fake wilderness. MMOs are a greater brain drain than an internet forum can ever be, see my first two points.

The growing numbers of less and less transparent / more and more fragile interconnections makes this a dangerous playground, and I'm not sure what to expect from it, but I can't think of a positive outcome. I also definitely think there are not nearly enough studies based on the social effects of MMOs.