User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Default Book cover: comments please...

Remember that book I finished more than a year ago?
    All publishers have declined now. I'm going to self-publish. That means, among other (more boring) tasks, that I have to draw a cover.
    I've worked a long time on it, but I'd work even more if needed. So please tell me what you think!

Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

What is the subject of the book? I feel this is very relevant to what the cover looks like, because it depends on who's attention you're trying to catch with the book.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I honestly would not purchase this book, but that's based upon my personal tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    What is the subject of the book? I feel this is very relevant to what the cover looks like, because it depends on who's attention you're trying to catch with the book.
    Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Reminds me of the Stig of the dump cover.

MBTI
    ENTP

@ Wolfy: I looked up the wiki page of "Stig of the dump" and, according to me, the cover doesn't look at all like mine...
    @ Marmie: no worries :-)

As for the subject: it's a fantasy fiction. I'll translate the cover, that should give enough information (if not, then I better rewrite that cover text, too!)

Title: the fourth god

Blurb: Miran Timmermans has got exceptional magical power. She begins her studies to become a sorceress, but will she finish them? While Miran worries about magic wands and exams, her country prepares for yet another religious war. The army could use a strong sorceress. They fight for the three good gods, but Miran doubts. Will she remain true to her religion or does she choose for the fourth god?

Titles of the books in the drawing on the left corner: "Elf blood", "Dreams", "All Saints" and "Confessions of an atheist".
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    @ Wolfy: I looked up the wiki page of "Stig of the dump" and, according to me, the cover doesn't look at all like mine...
    Just reminded me of it. Must be the angle and pose of the character...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Looks very very amateurish. Download some images (pay for them) and use photoshop to clean them up. If you pick the images, I could help you do some of the design work. Get the dimensions down and send me the files. I'll send you some mockups. No charge. email me

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Looks very very amateurish. Download some images (pay for them) and use photoshop to clean them up. If you pick the images, I could help you do some of the design work. Get the dimensions down and send me the files. I'll send you some mockups. No charge. email me
    Yeah. Not being cruel, but it definitely looks like a DIY title and it wouldn't go anywhere mass-market by the cover art.

If you have income to spend, you can also find some decent but still-trying-to-break-in artists online (I've done this before) and pay them a few hundred dollars to knock off a real piece of art that expresses the content of your book. I have no real idea what your book is about just from looking at the title or the cover. Otherwise you'll have to option some already existing photos or art.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I would consider going with simple, more abstract graphics. Maybe a silhouette image of a wand/sword, with a fire graphic along the side of the cover, and maybe a female form somewhere in there, or something. And maybe you can create a more appropriate font for the book's title. Font and logo design programs are nowhere near as expensive as Photoshop.

But the current cover looks very childish. Unless, of course, you're going for a children's storybook aesthetic. In which case, I hope the book has paintings on the inside, too.

Just a suggestion.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

A couple ideas...

contact this person about using the image