User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I would consider going with simple, more abstract graphics. Maybe a silhouette image of a wand/sword, with a fire graphic along the side of the cover, and maybe a female form somewhere in there, or something. And maybe you can create a more appropriate font for the book's title. Font and logo design programs are nowhere near as expensive as Photoshop.

But the current cover looks very childish. Unless, of course, you're going for a children's storybook aesthetic. In which case, I hope the book has paintings on the inside, too.

Just a suggestion.
    Hmmm

MBTI
    ENTP

Looks like you want me to do less work!

First: I want to draw the cover myself. I really appreciate your comments, but I won't use a photograph or clip-art, even if it would look better. After all, I've written the book myself too, even while somebody else could have done it better. I'm not going to let somebody else draw it, even if you're doing it for free.
    Secondly: I don't think the cover will boost or diminish sales. This is a self-publication.
    Thirdly: frankly, I prefer figurative covers to abstract ones. That's why I made it like that in the first place. Then again, I'm the sort of thirty-year-old who reads children's books instead of adult ones. While the covers of ThatsWhatHeSaid are nice and stylish, they make me think of the sort of fantasy I wouldn't read. The sort of fantasy fiction where they are travelling along mighty landscapes, discussing strategies, seducing each other and having sex. This is not the content of my book. Especially that scantily-clad warrioress - my ESTJ heroine would never wear that. She likes to protect her body when going to the battlefield.
    I'm sorry, folks - but even in my imagination common sense trumps good looks.

I wouldn't want people anticipating a certain style or imaginative sex scenes and being disappointed.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I come from a town with quite a few self-published fantasy books, and I can tell you that your cover is much, much more creative and interesting than any of the other hand-drawn ones I've seen. I especially like the side view and the back view a lot because I love what you did with the colors and lines.

However, the front confuses me because I'm not sure what the person is doing, or what they're holding. And I feel like the smaller images might be distracting/confusing on the cover, but really excellent for, say, small images at the beginning of each chapter.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Hmmm

Actually, that's really good.

MBTI
    INFP

Kind of looks like The Incredible Hulk's kid sister about to apply deodorant for some reason in a burning field of wheat. If you want the book to sell I recommend working something out with TWHS. Fantasy readers can be pretty snobby with book covers. We know our little addiction is ridiculous, so we'd rather our covers look as classy as possible for when we get caught in public with them. Even Terry Pratchett learned that lesson eventually. JMO.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Kind of looks like The Incredible Hulk's kid sister about to apply deodorant for some reason in a burning field of wheat. If you want the book to sell I recommend working something out with TWHS. Fantasy readers can be pretty snobby with book covers. We know our little addiction is ridiculous, so we'd rather our covers look as classy as possible for when we get caught in public with them. Even Terry Pratchett learned that lesson eventually. JMO.
    Jeff, Dutch women are like that.

figsfiggyfigs

I've seen your work before, and I can honestly say, that the cover is not your best. You can do better, I don't like the front picture at all...

The writing doesn't seem professional either, I suggested using a formated text instead...

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Hmmm

Thats actually pretty fantastic...

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

:3 My initial reaction was that I loved that you wanted to do it yourself--draw it yourself that is. It has to speak to you, I know that.

That being said--MOST of the books that have attracted my attention have been from the cover. Word of mouth, and clearance items, are the only other sources of "Read this!" I get. Mostly, and foremost though, covers. So it is important that you spend time on it. Speaking as a fan of fiction novels, I am snobby with the covers as well. I cannot help it.. But I do have a wide range of snobbery going for me. I appreciate self-done art.

I also really did love the back and side of the book. The front's woman(caveman?) is what bothers me. I just could not tell what was in her hand. I couldn't tell what her expression and emotions are, and I couldn't at all figure out what sort of world it is from the cover. The cover has to breathe the world into a single image--because novels aren't picture books. You have one glimpse of everything and that's all you get. The rest is your imagination. I'd just imagine a caveman walking around in a flintstone's car with the cover's current front.

My suggestions are to definitely clean up the person if you want a person in it.. Make it crisp and clear.. Or WAY more abstract.

Whatever you decide to do.. Please remember your book is going to have your fingerprints all over it.. But unless you're the only one going to be reading it, I'd suggest giving the readers something as well. Usually, authors do this with catchy, snobby covers. We as readers demand it.. We want what we want.. and if you want your voice to be heard, you'll have to compromise somewhere. I'd probably have bought one of the covers TWHS had done.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENTP

Okay, I can work with that! :-) Thanks a lot!
    I made one without the little drawings, too... well, I made that one first, saved it with another name and added the little drawings later. It's quite a nice idea to use them for the chapters.
    The center drawing depicts a scene where our heroine is trying to combat a fire using magic... Lots of people liked it, but they also read the book so they knew what it is. It's interesting to hear from people who only saw the drawing. I'll think a bit about it. Fire is quite important, but maybe I'd add a background where the magic is more visible?
    A nice thing would be to show the magic with rays of light or other effects... except that in my world, magic doesn't produce light as a side-effect, only heat.
    Or I could use a totally different scene? A more typical one?
    Thanks a lot!
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I think you can still capture that scene you had in mind, though! Mayhap make the fire more of a center--something ON fire instead of the fire just being everywhere.. something to focus the magic on that she's using.. And while I don't know how to do it without photoshop, heat waves are easily done if you have awesome details--trees and limbs and houses and shit--to show off the magic--maybe the fire where the heat waves end being ashen and embers burning instead of the flames as she's starting to work. I think maybe a 3/4ths view of the girl, or a profile of her casting, would help too.. Her stance doesn't seem very combative, and thus I couldn't derive that from the picture at all.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge