• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

RIP Edward Hardwicke, THE Dr Watson

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Edward Hardwicke, very likely the best Dr Watson of all time alongside the great Jeremy Brett as Holmes, has died at age 78. Sad news. :(

That series had a massive influence on my childhood. It's safe to say that I ended up living in London partly because my Sherlock Holmes obsession spun off into greater things, and the series with Brett and Hardwicke (and first David Burke as Watson, also superb) had a huge amount to do with that.

If you have thoughts and memories on this TV series and these actors, please share them here!

Also - what do you think are the MBTI types of the characters as portrayed by these actors? And, if you know something about the actors in real life, their real-life types?

I'll put these forward:

Watson as played by Hardwicke - ISFJ (a very smart, sensible, solid and caring ISFJ)
Holmes as played by Brett - ENTP (probably a controversial choice for Holmes, but I'll throw it out there)

Hardwicke in real life - ISFJ
Brett in real life - ESFP or ENFP

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
:( ... That sucks.. I've always loved Watson.. He's like. My dream relationship. Me, being crazy and deciding crazy things, and him yelling at me but always sticking by me.. *-* the perfect sidekick.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:( ... That sucks.. I've always loved Watson.. He's like. My dream relationship. Me, being crazy and deciding crazy things, and him yelling at me but always sticking by me.. *-* the perfect sidekick.

Yeah, I used to fancy myself a Holmes type. But now I think I'm more of a Watson type. Faithful and accommodating and sometimes a bit too much of those.

Brett and Hardwicke had the perfect dynamic. Hardwicke's Watson wasn't dumb at all. Just solid and loyal and steady and only dumb by way of comparison to Holmes's insane intelligence. And a lot more socially adjusted than Holmes!