User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I'm curious about this. What do you mean, specifically?
    It seemed made a bigger emotional impression. You could see that for some some women it was a bit stressful to be in close quarters and physically manipulating another person. I always tried to be reassuring before training, but I never unnecessarily held back. But one surprising event is when our teacher had us training with moves at gunpoint with wooden guns, and I had the gun and was instructed to be forceful and loud. I actually ended up making one woman cry. I felt pretty bad about it. Another time I was doing groundwork and another woman just totally freaked out and managed to get me on my back while ripping parts of my heavy duty uniform in the process. She was crying afterward.

It may not be guys in general, though. I never shook the idea that I might unconsciously exemplify a 'bad man' archetype to your average Caucasian Midwestern woman. It didn't help me that I was the one they put up front and center in demos, usually being thrown by a diminutive female, because it looked impressive... and maybe I looked like I could be an aggressor.

MBTI
    SEXY

In physical sports I think mixed sex (words have gender, people have sex) sports teams are a stupid idea. The difference in physique is just too much. To illustrate: my four person men's rowing team outrows our club's women's eight. Even if every team had to have the same number of women in it. I still wouldn't enjoy rowing as much simply because we'd go slower, and the women wouldn't enjoy it because they couldn't keep up.

If you're so keen on integration of the sexes we should look into mixed sex locker rooms .
    (removed)

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
    In physical sports I think mixed sex (words have gender, people have sex)....
    Actually, people have gender and sex whereas words just have gender.

sports teams are a stupid idea. The difference in physique is just too much. To illustrate: my four person men's rowing team outrows our club's women's eight. Even if every team had to have the same number of women in it. I still wouldn't enjoy rowing as much simply because we'd go slower, and the women wouldn't enjoy it because they couldn't keep up.

If you're so keen on integration of the sexes we should look into mixed sex locker rooms .
    while I agree at the pro level (since the best males will be better than the best females at most physical activities), I have to point out that this is definitely not the case at the rec level. While there are still rules (2 girls on the field at once), there are lots of girls who play better than guys, since there are so many different skill (and fitness) levels all playing together.

I don't think you were necessarily arguing that, just had to stick up for mixed sport teams a bit (I would seriously hate to be stuck to an all-girls team for many reasons).
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx

I only play mixed gender sports

MBTI
    SEXY

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Actually, people have gender and sex whereas words just have gender.
    It's a pun intended to indicate the incorrect usage of the word 'gender' in this context.
    (removed)

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
    The legendary Greek Philosophers I have read shared similar ideas on the integration of the naked sexes.

Yes, and the most ridiculous thing of all will be the sight of women naked in the palaestra, exercising with the men, especially when they are no longer young; they certainly will not be a vision of beauty, any more than the enthusiastic old men who in spite of wrinkles and ugliness continue to frequent the gymnasia.

source - http://classics.mit.edu/Plato/republic.6.v.html

MBTI
    INFJ

If you can keep up I don't see why not, even if that means that only exceptional women play.

Getting women on a team just because they are women is stupid, because they don't let guys on the team just because they are guys either - you have to make the cut.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

if they do it it should be its own league imo
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Oh hey this thread again.

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    If you can keep up I don't see why not, even if that means that only exceptional women play.

Getting women on a team just because they are women is stupid, because they don't let guys on the team just because they are guys either - you have to make the cut.
    This means that the status quo will continue, and essentially no women will play, but with the added bonus of cut funding for women's teams since "they can play with the guys if they make the cut".

I'm in favour of co-ed teams at a level where skill, intellligence and condition can make up for biological handicap (I play at that level, after all) but for the pros I really don't think it would be a productive strategy. There's a huge difference between a man in ideal physical condition and a woman in ideal physical condition - when you're a pro athlete, a tiny difference in capability can make you the best or cut you from the team. Allowing women to play would have very questionable benefits and real drawbacks.

I guess in the case of a sport that doesn't have a women's team, it might be ok, but I still think it would discourage most women from playing, rather than encouraging them to strive for that mostly-impossible goal.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    This means that the status quo will continue, and essentially no women will play, but with the added bonus of cut funding for women's teams since "they can play with the guys if they make the cut".
    It only works that way because that's how the spectator machine works. That's a problem with team ownership and the franchise being a money maker rather than some inherent gender problem.

Women's teams don't HAVE to be cut but they are because people are less interested in watching them on the whole. That isn't the fault of those who want to play competitively in the game itself, or of those who just want to play.