User Tag List

First 12345 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Well, people certainly aren't ever going to get over their weird biases about how to play around the other gender if they never play around the other gender. It's something that would change with time.

I am well aware of the physical differences between men and women, but I wonder how much the gap can be bridged and how much a sense of place is involved in peoples' performance. Part of what gives me this idea is the hyperbole in the Olympics. Athletes so consistently get better with each games that it makes me wonder how much a person's physical abilities are based on the standard that is set for them. Many records now would have seemed ludicrous 50 years ago, but it's the result of each generation having no motivation other than the do better than the previous (it's worth noting that there are cases where the current womens' record beats a men's record from the past). It makes me wonder how much a competitive woman who may also receive enormous financial rewards could measure up to male athletes.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

While there's the odd woman who can compete on a professional or amateur level like the Olympics, most female athletes can't compete with men. We're not built that way.

100 meter dash:

Fastest man - 9.58
    Fastest woman - 10.49

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Well, people certainly aren't ever going to get over their weird biases about how to play around the other gender if they never play around the other gender. It's something that would change with time.
    Like I said, I've been playing on mixed gender teams for years, with/against other people who've played on mixed gender teams for years, and there's still these "weird ideas" about how to play against females. It doesn't change automatically just by throwing men and women on one team. Can it be changed deliberately? Maybe, but you'd have to do some real thinking on how (and I think you'd need to completely change society's view of women at the same time).

I am well aware of the physical differences between men and women, but I wonder how much the gap can be bridged and how much a sense of place is involved in peoples' performance. Part of what gives me this idea is the hyperbole in the Olympics. Athletes so consistently get better with each games that it makes me wonder how much a person's physical abilities are based on the standard that is set for them. Many records now would have seemed ludicrous 50 years ago, but it's the result of each generation having no motivation other than the do better than the previous (it's worth noting that there are cases where the current womens' record beats a men's record from the past). It makes me wonder how much a competitive woman who may also receive enormous financial rewards could measure up to male athletes.
    A lot of the improvements are due to better training programs, better equipment/clothing, better health care and physiotherapy, better nutrition, better coaching, etc. Motivation by the old record might play a small role, but I doubt it's the dominant factor. Women can look up the men's records if they want to use that as motivation, lol.

The financial support is a factor to be sure. But then, why should they fund the woman if there's a more skilled male athlete who would benefit more from the money? If there weren't women's teams, I'd bet women would get less funding than now, not more.
    -end of thread-

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    While there's the odd woman who can compete on a professional or amateur level like the Olympics, most female athletes can't compete with men. We're not built that way.

100 meter dash:

Fastest man - 9.58
    Fastest woman - 10.49
    I know that contemporary figures show the gap. Incidentally running is probably the worst due to womens' hips.

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Like I said, I've been playing on mixed gender teams for years, with/against other people who've played on mixed gender teams for years, and there's still these "weird ideas" about how to play against females. It doesn't change automatically just by throwing men and women on one team. Can it be changed deliberately? Maybe, but you'd have to do some real thinking on how (and I think you'd need to completely change society's view of women at the same time).
    You never know what people look to. We could ask how many people let their idea of sports be affected by what they seem represented in professional leagues.

A lot of the improvements are due to better training programs, better equipment/clothing, better health care and physiotherapy, better nutrition, better coaching, etc. Motivation by the old record might play a small role, but I doubt it's the dominant factor. Women can look up the men's records if they want to use that as motivation, lol.
    But they probably don't look to it because it is simply deemed as a separate matter. Psychology is tricky.

The financial support is a factor to be sure. But then, why should they fund the woman if there's a more skilled male athlete who would benefit more from the money? If there weren't women's teams, I'd bet women would get less funding than now, not more.
    Well, Jock sort of pointed this one out. If a woman did prove herself capable of competing with men in the professional leagues, she'd be a huge splash. The reward won't necessarily be coming directly from their employer, nor would it come right away.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Take a look at Manon Rhéaume and the NHL. She was close but no real cigar.

Ginkgo

"Weird ideas"?

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Like not playing as hard against girls, stopping to help them up even if they crash into you (as a clumsy girl I see this a lot), profuse apologizing at any contact, etc.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Back in the days we the boys were always vouching for a mixed game but the girls never wanted. Wonder why...
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

This is not really a sport, but I did train with women in Hapkido. At first it did feel wrong to not cut them some slack, but the women were there to actually learn how to kick ass and how to defend themselves, I was doing them a disservice. They didn't appreciate me holding back.

There were surprises when dealing with the fairer sex. There was crying. That's when I learned that more often than not women cry in frustration, instead of wanting to hit something like guys tend to do. That was confusing. Also physical proximity tended to have a bigger effect with some of the ladies.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    Also physical proximity tended to have a bigger effect with some of the ladies.
    I'm curious about this. What do you mean, specifically?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness