User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post
    It's an interesting thought. There are much too many variables to consider with such things.
    Aside from the physiology of the different sexes, sexual orientation, the egos of the players as well as the possible mishaps that could occur between male and female players would likely cause a bit of a stir. Many variables. It would not be very easy at all.
    You can tell which guys don't have much experience with girls. They are scared to get anywhere near them. Especially bball. They defend them like 5 feet away.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    You can tell which guys don't have much experience with girls. They are scared to get anywhere near them. Especially bball. They defend them like 5 feet away.
    Quite definitely. It really may not allow for players to be able to play at their best during the matches which I'd assume is not something needed.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post
    Quite definitely. It really may not allow for players to be able to play at their best during the matches which I'd assume is not something needed.
    Then those guys have to get over their delicate sensibilities. SPIKE THAT BALL IN HER FACE.

I don't even know if there is an explicit rule against gender integration in professional sports. There was some commotion a few years ago about Annika Sorenstam or whatever the fuck her name is playing with the men in golf, but that's golf and fat old white dudes love complaining when their little gentlemanly parades get rained on [delicate sensibilities, yet again]. If a woman is good enough to play on the level, I don't see why a team wouldn't let her on. There might be some intra-locker room dynamics issues with some of the chauvinists, but you'd hope the desire to win would override the desire to be douche. Also, think of the marketing/endorsement/brand expansion. Gold mine.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    edit: even at the rec level, I've played sports for about 4-5 years and not once have I seen a female player even approach the level of an average team's best male striker for either volleyball or soccer. Some females are very good, technically skilled support players with a good shot compared to the other players on the team, but don't come close to the skilled males when it comes to shooting/spiking.
    Yeah, that's just the bio differences. Males typically get more height, longer limbs (even including the wrist to elbow measurement), and wider shoulders ( = more torque) and more upper body muscle. What else can be said about it? It's just physics.

... I doubt many women could realistically compete in contact-team sports with the best male professionals, but I do agree with other comments in this thread that, if a woman is tough enough to get in there and play, you should treat her like any other player and not "go easy on her."
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

My son & daughter (one grade apart) are on the same co-ed Bball team. I think it's a great thing socially, it teaches teamwork in a mixed gender setting, which is very different than girls or boys only. As a learning experience, it's good. If we're talking about competative aspects, I could see how it could end up being difficult as the kids get more serious about the sport.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Then those guys have to get over their delicate sensibilities. SPIKE THAT BALL IN HER FACE.
    Sounds rather intriguing. Well, you must weigh the energy wasted upon fixing the delicate sensibilities in the men on the team over the energy used on how well the woman plays the game with the men. If the energy used is less than the energy it would take to increase another man's level to the level of how good the woman plays then right there with ya. Hmm one simplistic matter of many. We must look into other things.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    What do think of the idea of have mixed gender teams in sports such as baseball, soccer, or basketball?

I thought it mildly interesting that sports are some of the last places where gender segregation is still commonly accepted in this country. The reasoning, of course, is that men and women have very different physiology and so they are uneven when playing together.

Personally, I think it would be kind of neat to do it, and it's not like it would mean that the single gender games would have to be discontinued or anything. I think if I were a female athlete, all the talk about the general superiority of male athletes would just make me more determined to play amongst them.
    I think it's feasible.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    LOL It's a fine balance, tho....in the name of sportsmanship. LOL.

If she's 6'5, go for it.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

sucks in soccer. You aint supposed to feel guilt after a bloody razorblade tackle
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    IsTP

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"