• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Game of Thrones!

A

Anew Leaf

*gasps with excitement*

Tonight the Game of Thrones series will finally premiere on HBO! Is anyone else as excited as me?

(As an aside, if you haven't read the fantasy series that it is based off of.... you really should give them a whirl. I am 34% convinced that he will finish the series before he dies. I also am pegging him as an INTP... if anyone else has an opinion on that score.)

rav3n

I'm excited but don't plan to watch it until I can get the entire series in a boxed set. Martin's novels are fabulous!!!!

A

Anew Leaf

I'm excited but don't plan to watch it until I can get the entire series in a boxed set. Martin's novels are fabulous!!!!

I truly admire your self control.

Example:
Moe: I got this deep fryer on loan from the US Army. It can flash fry a buffalo in 40 seconds

Homer: 40 secoonnds... but i want it nooow

rav3n

I truly admire your self control.

Example:
Moe: I got this deep fryer on loan from the US Army. It can flash fry a buffalo in 40 seconds

Homer: 40 secoonnds... but i want it nooow
Ha ha...

Nothing to admire. As an impatient person, waiting for each episode would drive me crazy!

KDude

I don't have HBO :(

And I keep getting emails from companies to tell me to stop torrenting their shit. So I'll probably wait until this is on disc.

A

Anew Leaf

I don't have HBO :(

And I keep getting emails from companies to tell me to stop torrenting their shit. So I'll probably wait until this is on disc.

:cry:

I will try to contain my SUPER excitement tonight then and keep it tucked far, far, far, away from you....!

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
[MENTION=5639]JocktheMotie[/MENTION] and i just started reading this.
we're reading up to each tv episode and watching an episode at a time.
so basically, we've only seen 1 episode.

today i woke up and made him listen to me read. it's getting juicy.
my favourites are the little girl arya and jon (i totally keep on thinking
they're gonna get together for some half-incestuous boinking).
and tyrion! i think he's a great character.

catelyn is so much more of a bitch in the book than she is on tv.
also in the book sensa is more of a bitch than on tv. i really like
reading it first and then see how it's played out on tv.

my favourite chapter so far is the 2nd chapter of bran, i thought
the author did such a brilliant job conveying the story using bran's
outlook. so good! and the way jock read it was just so so perfect.

aaaaaaand there's a khal
<3 kahl

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I thought the first season was pretty good. I'm reading the latest book right now and, while I think there are better books out there, the series has the perfect collection of qualities for an HBO show. Obviously no show is going to do any epic novel series complete justice, but I think HBO will probably do it better than anyone else would.

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I enjoyed the books and I just watched the first episode. I never expect shows to equal their book counterparts but I enjoyed it a lot. When I get some time I will watch the rest of the season.

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
A good friend of mine is REALLY into it.

Should I jump on the Game of Thrones boogie train to fantasy land? How much is it worth it?

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It is an HBO show so it is a good mix of quality acting/casting, gruesome violence, great story line and delivery and plenty of nudity. Basically, an R rated Lord of the Rings without Tolkien's incredible attention to detail and masterful storytelling.

All aboard!

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
A good friend of mine is REALLY into it.

Should I jump on the Game of Thrones boogie train to fantasy land? How much is it worth it?

You should watch it if you like sex and violence

I rate it 10/10

You should watch it because I say so

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
It is an HBO show so it is a good mix of quality acting/casting, gruesome violence, great story line and delivery and plenty of nudity. Basically, an R rated Lord of the Rings without Tolkien's incredible attention to detail and masterful storytelling.

All aboard!

You should watch it if you like sex and violence

I rate it 10/10

You should watch it because I say so

Hmmm...you gentlemen provide some pretty convincing highlights.

Ok then, should I read the books or just skip to the good stuff and watch the show?

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Ok then, should I read the books or just skip to the good stuff and watch the show?

Depends entirely on your tastes. The books are very good but there are several and they are long. The show is a great stand alone show, the books are better and more complete but if you don't read them first you won't know that.

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP

Did I mention that the show has a LOT of sex and violence? Seriously, it might be the greatest show ever.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!

i really like reading the book and watching the show.
the book offers a more richer description to the characters,
and i think that's what adds the oomph to the whole story,
the show is like a great visualization of the book, but misses
the wonderful little detailed nuances, so i suppose depending
on how much you like character details.

Nicodemus

I very much prefer the books to the series. The latter I would award six or seven out of ten points.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You should watch Spartacus, then.
:thumbup:
I've watched 3 Game of Thrones episodes so far. I find Spartacus much better, but GoT is kinda watchable too.
2 things I hate:
1- So. Many. People. There are like 10 characters you could roughly call ''main''. And like a dozen of families. :wtf:
2- Their appearance is so fucking similar. Basically white, dark hair, all using beard and wearing a similar armor. How am I supposed to remember their names?! :panic:

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
:thumbup:
I've watched 3 Game of Thrones episodes so far. I find Spartacus much better, but GoT is kinda watchable too.
2 things I hate:
1- So. Many. People. There are like 10 characters you could roughly call ''main''. And like a dozen of families. :wtf:
2- Their appearance is so fucking similar. Basically white, dark hair, all using beard and wearing a similar armor. How am I supposed to remember their names?! :panic:
I like GoT (I want to read the book) and had no problem when I came across these two issues. But that may be because these kinds of concerns were burned out of me by The Wire, which was really tough for the first few episodes (it had a huge cast from episode one, though the heavy majority is black with 2-3 different hairstyles that aren't that radically different. I was still trying to learn character names like six or eight episodes in) and that show, despite early misgivings just like the ones listed here (and the fact that, at the time, it was maybe the slowest moving show I'd ever seen) it became my favorite series of all time, a title it still holds today.

Game of Thrones is also a series that needs a little build time, but it is thoroughly good (not Wire good, but good). Keep going with it. You'll learn to appreciate the fact that it doesn't over-baby the viewer and expects them to be intelligent enough to catch onto a world that existed and was complex before they arrived.