• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Game of Thrones!

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Only season of the show I've liked so far.
Probably no coincidence they ran out of books before it began.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I finally saw it. I have to say, I've really enjoyed this season, but I'm highly suspicious about a lot of the narrative short cuts I've been seeing. I'm afraid the show might be in the process of becoming a flanderization of itself.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This was incredible! the brief scenes with Natalie Dormer was very hot. :wubbie:

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Jk-and-GRRM.jpg

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[EVERYTHING] A psychologist'''s perspective on Cersei'''s ability to love her family

I'm a clinical psychologist, but I'll try (and probably fail) to limit the psychobabble. Also, a disclaimer: diagnosing fictional characters with psychiatric disorders is kind of silly. Psychiatric disorders are complex and mysterious classifications of human minds, and the minds of fictional characters are not real. Therefore, what I'm doing here is just loosely applying these terms to a character who simply displays the behaviors and characteristics of a particular diagnostic label that we use for real people. Unless G.R.R.M. is someone who has a perfect understanding of how the human mind works, then his characters are of course not going to really fit into our categories. I'm also using the extremes of this particular diagnostic label in order to illustrate my point. In reality, people fall on a spectrum of all personality styles, and there's a lot more gray area. But we can still have fun with it, so here we go.

Cersei is a classic narcissist. As such, she lacks the ability to truly empathize with others. Despite this obvious reality, people seem to be falling into the trap of thinking that Cersei really does genuinely love her brother and her (late) children. While she certainly says that she does quite a bit, and while her behavior may seem to suggest that she does, it is highly unlikely that such a narcissistic character is capable of true love.

You might think that narcissists are incapable of love, since they often seem to be quite incapable of having empathy for others. You may be right, in a certain sense (although remember, we're talking about extremes here, whereas real people fall throughout the spectrum). However, there is a sort of narcissistic love in which the narcissistic person loves others as an extension of him/herself. In this scenario, the narcissistic person experiences a fragmentation of the self in which the other becomes a part of the self. This is almost always seen with family members or lovers. Rather than loving this other person as a separate entity who has their own strengths and weaknesses, the narcissistic person splits them into the "perfect" category, and considers them to be an extension of him/herself. You see this in the way that Cersei thinks about Jamie and her children. They are her blood, and they share a part of her. As such, they must be perfect, like she is. In fact, Cersei isn't even capable of loving someone who isn't herself. Her one true love in life is her twin, who looks just like her. Loving one's twin is the ultimate form of self-love, and it is sort of a perfect embodiment of what it means to be narcissistic. As soon as Jamie departed in the first season, she was sleeping with her cousin who, again, was just another extension of herself. She can't even bare to not have sex with herself during Jamie's departure.

Although this sort of love may seem like "regular" love (in that she expresses warmness towards her children, wants them to be happy, and violently looks after their interests), it is a hollow love. Just as easily as narcissistic people merged these other people with themselves, they can split them away and cast them back into the "other" position. They will then split this person to the "bad" category, and disown them. Again, this is a defense. Rather than accepting the reality that the person is capable of having strengths and weaknesses (which would mean that they are imperfect as well), they simply stop believing that the other person is reflective of themselves. After that, they may not even experience any sense of loss or mourning.

I think this is what we saw with Tommen's death. One of the questions in the post-episode poll last week was whether Cersei would have blown everyone up if she knew that Tommen was there. Most people answered "no," but I think the answer is "yes." Again, for Cersei, it's not about Tommen; it's about herself, because in her mind, she is all that exists. People are either "her," or they're "not her." At that point, Tommen had become "not her." He had joined the Faith and forsaken his family. He showed weakness, gullibility, and stupidity, and he even abandoned her. From that point on, he was no longer a part of her. The scene when Cersei saw Tommen's body was very poignant (here it is). While we had previously seen Cersei go completely hysterical at the loss of Myrcella and Joffrey, she is cold and emotionless during this scene. This is because when the former two children died, they were still a part of her. When Tommen died, he was not.

TL;DR Cersei is a narcissist who is incapable of true love; instead she loves others only due to the belief that they are extensions of herself. Given this, it isn't accurate to say that she's motivated by a love for her children of Jamie

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
My roommates and I are rewatching S6 and I'm still not over "Hold the Door".

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
‘Game of Thrones’ Script Reveals New Details About Stannis Baratheon’s Fate

....In the version of “Mother’s Mercy” that aired on HBO in 2015, Stannis faced his death stoically, telling Brienne, “Go on. Do your duty.” But as an eagle-eyed Reddit fan noted and the preeminent GoT fan site Watchers on the Wall picked up, a copy of the Emmy-winning script that’s available on the official Emmys website contains an extra line cut from the episode that allows him a moment of regret for the loved ones he’s wronged...

While it's interesting from the perspective of seeing behind the scenes (and maybe could have been included in the book version, as an internalized dialogue), it's too explicit and too emotional; I found what aired on the show to be most fitting.

Stannis is stoic by nature. He will be stoic at death. The thing is, anything they mentioned here, you can already grasp just from how it was acted. Stannis looks defeated while leaning against the tree. He has nothing left. There is air of resignation about him. It is conveyed that he knows he has done terrible things that he now regrets, and all for nothing. He doesn't argue with Breanne, he tells her to go ahead and do her duty -- the punishment he deserves has finally caught up with him, and he accepts it as what he deserves. You do get the feeling that if he could revisit those decisions, he might choose something different. It's a stoic and sad end to a stoic and sad man who let himself be bewildered by the Red Priestess and buy into his own hype, and he knows it, now, at the end, and the regrets are obvious.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6

While it's interesting from the perspective of seeing behind the scenes (and maybe could have been included in the book version, as an internalized dialogue), it's too explicit and too emotional; I found what aired on the show to be most fitting.

Stannis is stoic by nature. He will be stoic at death. The thing is, anything they mentioned here, you can already grasp just from how it was acted. Stannis looks defeated while leaning against the tree. He has nothing left. There is air of resignation about him. It is conveyed that he knows he has done terrible things that he now regrets, and all for nothing. He doesn't argue with Breanne, he tells her to go ahead and do her duty -- the punishment he deserves has finally caught up with him, and he accepts it as what he deserves. You do get the feeling that if he could revisit those decisions, he might choose something different. It's a stoic and sad end to a stoic and sad man who let himself be bewildered by the Red Priestess and buy into his own hype, and he knows it, now, at the end, and the regrets are obvious.

Although you never actually see him die in the TV programme... It's just implied by the view of Breanne's sword descending. It never does to assume someone is dead in Game of Thrones until you've seen their head stuck on top of a pike.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Here to revive the thread: #1 Trending on YouTube:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This Sunday, 9pm.

I set up my DVR last night for that and Preacher (which I've missed a few episodes of, but hopefully snagged them on rerun yesterday).

--------

Game of Thrones Seasons Ranked from Worst to Best | Collider

I don't really agree with their number one selection, it's probably the season I will watch least on reruns. It had a few decent sequences (Hold the Door, Battle of the Bastards) but not really the kind of complexity and richness that drew me to the series originally especially with the stuff overseas. It feels like a season aimed more at prime-time TV viewership, not demanding as much.

But yeah, seasons 3 and 4 are pretty classic.

Pandemeria

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
New season, get hype! I'm mentally bouncing up and down in anticipation, no lie.