• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Game of Thrones!

Swivelinglight

Permabanned
I know who is still in the running, and who isn't. Your boi Stannis isn't looking too good right now.

That may be true. But he went out like a boss. Ned stark went out on his knees. Joffrey went out by eating pidgeon pie. Rob got betrayed by his bannermen and cried to his mommy. Tywin went out while taking a crap. Balon died crossing a bridge. Robert got killed by a pig. Stannis was the first in line to charge when outnumbered against calvary. He took on a two v one and won while injured. He could've taken down the big bitch if he wanted but he felt the world saw enough of how much of a bad ass he was and decided to give the iron throne to someone else.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
He could've taken down the big bitch if he wanted but he felt the world saw enough of how much of a bad ass he was and decided to give the iron throne to someone else.
This sentence is incomprehensible. It's not what happened at all. It had nothing to do with being a badass; he lost and realized he couldn't win even if he could have defeated Brienne. It wasn't a noble sacrifice, he just lost.

Swivelinglight

Permabanned
This sentence is incomprehensible. It's not what happened at all. It had nothing to do with being a badass; he lost and realized he couldn't win even if he could have defeated Brienne. It wasn't a noble sacrifice, he just lost.

no shit lol

captain-obvious-thanks.jpg

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As for Jon and warging (Udog), that's an interesting thought that I didn't even consider. Given how important the Starks' connection is to their direwolves, as a symbol of their own self/identity, and given my previous assumption that the fate of the direwolf usually outlines the fate of that Stark child, AND, given that we didn't see a glimpse of Ghost as Jon lay there bleeding to death....I can totally see that coming into play.

But, my initial thought: I still think Melissandra will come into the picture too, of Jon's resurrection.

In that way, maybe it's not one or the other theory. Maybe it's both, together.

Maybe Jon's "mind" goes into Ghost, and his "body" is used by Melissandra to be resurrected back to life, and since the "mind" of Jon is not there, he will be used as a puppet for nefracious Fire God purpose, by Melissandra, but Jon's mind will remain pure, untainted, untouched, i.e., the essence of Jon Snow through Ghost (as the Fire God does take something from the person if he/she/it brings them back to life).

Ghost will truly be the ghost of Jon Snow. Ha!

Heh, yeah, I think George was pretty sly in choosing Ghost's name.

In the books, all of the Stark children can warg. In the show, we only know of Bran being able to warg. D&D have been very conscious about keeping things as simple as possible, so it would be unnecessarily confusing to add this in now. I mean, they CAN do it, and they MIGHT, but it would go against their general philosophy of how they run the show. That is, unless the Stark children being able to warg is critical to the end game... in which case Season 6 would be an excellent time to introduce it.

It echoes Maester Aemon's speech to Jon, "Kill the boy and let the man be born."

I think this is the beginning of that. The killing of the boy, Jon.

Whoa... good catch!

Although Melissandra will resurrect Jon, I think Jon will have a rebirth as well, separate from that.

I know of the L+R=J, theory, and if that's true, then, I can see:

Heh, that would be fitting. My only issue with that is that, to me, I'm selfishly more interested in the consequences of For the Watch than I would be by any intrigue in bringing him back. Namely:

But we all know how GRRM feels about that kind of thing, lol. Maybe he should let Terry Brooks write that page for him.

Such a fight would almost certainly be a creation of D&D, not GRRM. It's tough to say more, though, without getting into probable Season 6 spoilers.

However, this is the type of thing that I could definitely see the showrunners adding in. The Hound's fate is still up in the air, and we really have no idea how much of The Mountain still exists in that body.

She's an idiot. What did she say again? In the name of Renly of house Baratheon first of his name Rightful king of the andals and the first men.

Retard alert. He didn't even have a claim.

That bothered me as well. Granted, I can see Brienne's love for Renly blinding her, but I was surprised Stannis didn't say something. I guess it goes to show that at that point Stannis was 100% defeated.

Also, I think you need to come to terms with the fact that show Stannis is not book Stannis. Book Stannis is a Lawful Neutral hardass and a genius military commander. Despite having inferior numbers, an idiot naval commander that hastily attacked the Blackwater and opened himself up to the wildfire, AND having Tyrion, Tywin, and Randyll Tarly scheming against him, he still somehow almost managed to take King's Landing. He was very, very close. Book Stannis didn't burn anyone after reaching the wall because he knew it would kill moral with half his troops. (Maybe he would have done it otherwise, but book Stannis used a thing called logic to weigh the pros and cons.) Show Stannis burned his daughter because Melisandre's trick with the leeches maybe worked for most of the kings (Balon still seems to be alive, though, but I guess 3 out of 4 ain't bad) and was basically ruined by Ramsay and 20. Good. Men. Then he marched blindly to Winterfell and somehow missed the thousands of horses that were behind the small hill.

Show Stannis was an idiot that deserved what came to him, and I sort of think the writers just wanted him gone. Stephen Dillane was an awesome actor that nailed the role though, and for that reason I'm still going to miss him.

Swivelinglight

Permabanned
Also, I think you need to come to terms with the fact that show Stannis is not book Stannis.

Yeah tis true. I root for both Stannis's despite their differences. Admittedly I'm only about a hundred pages in ADWD (I kind of don't want to finish it...because it may be awhile for the next one), but from what I've read online the ending is a bit different. Either way, the battle was a huge **** up. I think DD just wanted people to hate Stannis and finish him off. He didn't send scouts to prepare formation for a calvary rush, which is what any good military commander would do. He didn't even try and order his men to get in formation to withstand the charge. Pretty bad moves for the greatest military mind in Westeros. DD prolly just wanted to portray that Stannis had a deathwish and gave no ****s and was like eh let's go suicidal. Regardless both Stannis's are bad ass, even if the one in the show isn't as smart.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Has anyone noticed that the ethos of the Night's Watch towards women is a little weird? You can sleep with the prostitutes in Mole's Town, and nobody cares, but if you have a committed relationship with a wilding, you're beyond the pale.

Very odd, inconsistent, nonsensical rules.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Has anyone noticed that the ethos of the Night's Watch towards women is a little weird? You can sleep with the prostitutes in Mole's Town, and nobody cares, but if you have a committed relationship with a wilding, you're beyond the pale. Very odd, inconsistent, nonsensical rules.

more like, "if you use women for recreation, that's okay because it doesn't interfere with your work and might even help it, just like a good meal and lots of ale; but dedication/love for a racial enemy of the Night's Watch is a betrayal."

Qre:us

Has anyone noticed that the ethos of the Night's Watch towards women is a little weird? You can sleep with the prostitutes in Mole's Town, and nobody cares, but if you have a committed relationship with a wilding, you're beyond the pale.

It's simple. Sex is allowed, love is not. One is stress relief, the other is a prolonged distraction from your duty (and often, competing duties).

In the rulebook, it's outlined that one must practice celibacy but I'm sure the Brotherhood looks the other way when it comes to 'natural urges', just not the romantic BS.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
I like like stannis.

Like is not the word, I wanted him to win. That's it.

I still admire him.

I feel sorry for his downfall.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, shouldn't have whelped a shadow baby to murder his brother.
That was the beginning of the end.

I've been watching the series over again, from the beginning, now that I actually know who everyone is.

stupidly, I realize now that Brienne is essentially a Westernized ronin. She pledged her life to Renly, and he was killed right in front of her. She doesn't even want to live, but Cat tells her that if she doesn't, she'll never get her revenge. (s2e5) Maybe she's been diverted for a few seasons getting Jaime to King's Landing and finding the Stark girls, but in essence what we see in s2e10 is the end of her ronin quest. Now what? She avenged her master. Usually they kill themselves after they finish their quest. (I suspect here she'll wonder what to do, and then stumble across Sansa and Theon.)

I also got to watch Meryn beat Sansa publicly (after tearing her gown half-off) on Joffrey's orders. That scene comes more into context now that I know what his proclivities are. I'm so glad he's gone.

Tommen is established early as someone who doesn't much like war or bloodshed. Even as a boy, he would rather spare his enemies / doesn't really have the stomach for much killing.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's simple. Sex is allowed, love is not. One is stress relief, the other is a prolonged distraction from your duty (and often, competing duties).

In the rulebook, it's outlined that one must practice celibacy but I'm sure the Brotherhood looks the other way when it comes to 'natural urges', just not the romantic BS.

Pretty much that, I think. Acting on primal urges is fine, forming a deeper connection isn't.

I like like stannis.

Like is not the word, I wanted him to win. That's it.

I still admire him.

I feel sorry for his downfall.

I never cared for his habit of being a-ok with the burning of unbelievers. I liked Balon Greyjoy better than that prick who couldn't get over his sibling rivalry issues. If he would have cooperated with his brother, the Lannisters would have been defeated and a lot more people would be alive.

C.J.Woolf

respect the brick
MBTI Type
INTP

Perhaps most important, the vow of celibacy doesn't allow (acknowledged) fatherhood. When a man takes the black, he leaves his family and the Night's Watch becomes his family. Also, it would be politically dangerous to allow highborn brothers to father children and complicate matters down south.

I think it's interesting that Martin created a group that is a cross between the Knights Templar and a Soviet penal battalion.

C.J.Woolf

respect the brick
MBTI Type
INTP
"You really think having a crown gives you power? " -- Tywin Lannister.

The Baratheons are all traitorous usurpers. Purge them with fire and blood.

Every dynasty begins with a usurper. The successful ones are strong to enough to make people accept them as kings.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
Heh. The popularity of the show has convinced me to start reading the books before the series is finished-I was hesitant to potentially go through another Wheel of Time experience (which thankfully had a happy ending thanks to Brandon Sanderson's efforts and Robert Jordan's thorough notes), but I finally figured I would no longer be able to avoid spoilers if I put it off any longer.

I'm almost done with the second book, I'm thoroughly enjoying it.....and going thru the TV Tropes page after I finish reading the series up to this point should be interesting (the 'Author Appeal' section must be paragraphs long).

Swivelinglight

Permabanned
Well, shouldn't have whelped a shadow baby to murder his brother.
That was the beginning of the end.

Actually that was probably one of the best moves he did. He was about to get sieged on by renly if he didn't do it. Rather than that happening he didn't get sieged on and he even got Renly's army. Hardly the beginning of the end.

Also, long live stannis

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Man, u jest b a stannis tool.

Stannis was so damned stupid. In the books he was good at millitary strategy, but he had no diplomatic sense, there, either. He could have allied with his brother and Robb, but instead he had to get all pissy about how the Iron Throne was his and his alone. I've seen that kind of short-sightedness blow up in people's faces before.

Pissing on potential allies repeatedly for no tactical advantage is no way to win a fight.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, one could at least say that anything that happened to Stannis was Stannis' own fault. He lost by his own hand, rather than for ever kowtowing to anyone else.

if that means anything.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well, one could at least say that anything that happened to Stannis was Stannis' own fault. He lost by his own hand, rather than for ever kowtowing to anyone else.

if that means anything.

It doesn't matter. He lost. There's no shame in working together for something.