• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Game of Thrones!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Almost time for S5e9!

here's the official synopsis.

“Stannis confronts a troubling decision. Jon returns to the Wall. Mace visits the Iron Bank. Arya encounters someone from her past. Dany reluctantly oversees a traditional celebration of athleticism.”

My official interpretation:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fuck Stannis.

But she agreed to help!

:dry: :(

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've been a Targaryen supporter for a while now, and this certainly didn't change after tonight.

Stannis sucked lobster-butt the first time I saw him, and my opinion really hasn't improved. I'd rather have Reek be king.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The highlights were the stuff in the North. The bit with Danerys was pretty good, too, although it paled in comparison to the book. The politics of Mereen there were more interesting and complex; they watered it down a lot. The addition of Tyrion and the discussion between Hizdahr and Danerys was pretty good.

Dorne was a waste, again. I didn't understand what the goal of that ridiculous game they were playing even was.

Swivelinglight

Permabanned
He did what needed to be done for the good of the realm

wwSORcH.jpg

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The highlights were the stuff in the North. The bit with Danerys was pretty good, too, although it paled in comparison to the book. The politics of Mereen there were more interesting and complex; they watered it down a lot. The addition of Tyrion and the discussion between Hizdahr and Danerys was pretty good.

Dorne was a waste, again. I didn't understand what the goal of that ridiculous game they were playing even was.

They were just playing a version of slap. Haven't you ever played that? I was playing that in high school decades ago. The thing is that, the characters actually seemed more real in those scenes than they did pretending to be badasses.

Oh, funny tweet I saw:

Also about Thorne:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
They were just playing a version of slap. Haven't you ever played that? I was playing that in high school decades ago. The thing is that, the characters actually seemed more real in those scenes than they did pretending to be badasses.

I have no idea what that was. I thought it was meant to be some kind of badass warrior thing, but it really didn't seem that hard. It's more of just an ordinary game?

Oh, funny tweet I saw:

ROFL.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have no idea what that was. I thought it was meant to be some kind of badass warrior thing, but it really didn't seem that hard. It's more of just an ordinary game?

Yeah, there's two versions I played: Slap and Knuckles. They're both similar.

With Slap, the slapper puts their hands out palm up. The person being slapped puts their hands face down on top. The slapper tries to slap either hand. If they miss, the two trade roles; if they slap successfully, then they get to keep slapping. If you jerk your hands away and they don't actually try to slap you, you have to put your hands back.

With Knuckles, you put your fists out (fingers down) so that they touch, and the one person tries to hit the other person's knuckles. Same outcomes as above. I've seen people bruise and bloody another person's knuckles playing that game.

Sometimes in the more cutthroat versions, if you jerk your hands away when the other person doesn't actually try to hit you, then they get a free hit.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Yeah, there's two versions I played: Slap and Knuckles. They're both similar.

With Slap, the slapper puts their hands out palm up. The person being slapped puts their hands face down on top. The slapper tries to slap either hand. If they miss, the two trade roles; if they slap successfully, then they get to keep slapping. If you jerk your hands away and they don't actually try to slap you, you have to put your hands back.

With Knuckles, you put your fists out (fingers down) so that they touch, and the one person tries to hit the other person's knuckles. Same outcomes as above. I've seen people bruise and bloody another person's knuckles playing that game.

Sometimes in the more cutthroat versions, if you jerk your hands away when the other person doesn't actually try to hit you, then they get a free hit.

that game of slap was very fun to watch and sent a chuckle of delight out of me.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

I was also totally expecting this from Davos.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Let me just take a moment to say that Kerry Ingram did a wonderful job as Shireen. Her portrayal has been spot on since the beginning, bringing a warmth (heh) and genuineness that so few characters in Game of Thrones have. Her final scene was heartbreaking, and she acted the hell out of it.

Having said that, I agree with [MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION] and was peeved at the flip-flopping characterization between Stannis and his wife Selyse. I might be able to be talked into Stannis changing his mind about sacrificing his daughter after becoming desperate, but Selyse has always hated Shireen for what she represented, and was flat out abusive towards her. Selyse is also the most fanatical of R'hllor's followers. It really seems like a case of breaking characterization to try and increase the drama (and probably set up a plot line for season 6), and it's the sort of thing that really takes me out of the story.

Also... OF COURSE Ramsay and his "20 good men" completely destroyed Stannis' camp without any casualties. I'll just resign myself to the show version of Ramsay being an Arnold Schwarzenegger caliber action hero. Hopefully he said things such as "You're Fired" and "If you can't stand the heat... get out of the kitchen" as he was lighting the food tents ablaze.

David Benioff has a funny story about getting extremely drunk and challenging Jason Momoa (Khal Drogo) to a game of slap. Apparently Momoa hits VERY hard, and David wouldn't give up. The next day or two later, his hands continued to swell up and his wife eventually forced him to go to the ER. This little addition was almost certainly David's idea.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Let me just take a moment to say that Kerry Ingram did a wonderful job as Shireen. Her portrayal has been spot on since the beginning, bringing a warmth (heh)

*groan*

and genuineness that so few characters in Game of Thrones have. Her final scene was heartbreaking, and she acted the hell out of it.

Yes, she was delightful pretty much in any scene she was in.

Also... OF COURSE Ramsay and his "20 good men" completely destroyed Stannis' camp without any casualties. I'll just resign myself to the show version of Ramsay being an Arnold Schwarzenegger caliber action hero. Hopefully he said things such as "You're Fired" and "If you can't stand the heat... get out of the kitchen" as he was lighting the food tents ablaze.

Yeah, that was kind of.... meh.

In this case, maybe Ramsay seeing Shireen and kidnapping her for his Twisted Pleasure Palace might have been the LESSER of two evils for her. Could you believe that? Ramsay kidnapping Shireen and the audience breathes a sigh of relief?

David Benioff has a funny story about getting extremely drunk and challenging Jason Momoa (Khal Drogo) to a game of slap. Apparently Momoa hits VERY hard, and David wouldn't give up. The next day or two later, his hands continued to swell up and his wife eventually forced him to go to the ER. This little addition was almost certainly David's idea.

hahaha! Thanks for that tidbit. Maybe if he hadn't been so drunk and could feel it all, he might have quit earlier. :)

EDIT:
GOT’s Davos on Being Sent Away by Stannis -- Vulture

...Did you do anything to say good-bye to Kerry Ingram, the actress who played Shireen?

I had a little moment with Kerry. We exchanged gifts, as our characters did. I gave her a little silver stag, and she gave me a beautiful cushion with an embroidered stag on it, and it was completely by coincidence that we both had these little stag things that we gave to each other. I think in was in the last couple of days before production shut down for the season. So it was sad, because I really respect her, not only as a glorious young lady and a beautiful human being, but she's also fantastically professional and well prepared on set. She's got a wicked sense of humor as well. She's just lovely. So professionally, I'm really sad that I won't be working with her again. Those were some of my favorite scenes, what I did with her.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
*groan*

Yes, she was delightful pretty much in any scene she was in.

Yeah, that was kind of.... meh.

In this case, maybe Ramsay seeing Shireen and kidnapping her for his Twisted Pleasure Palace might have been the LESSER of two evils for her. Could you believe that? Ramsay kidnapping Shireen and the audience breathes a sigh of relief?

hahaha! Thanks for that tidbit. Maybe if he hadn't been so drunk and could feel it all, he might have quit earlier. :)

EDIT:
GOT’s Davos on Being Sent Away by Stannis -- Vulture

I expect this is why Stannis sent Davos away. He knew what he would have done. I suspect the thing about getting supplies was just a pretext, and he likely believed that Melisandre's BS was the only option he had.

Diplomacy and lateral thinking are the weapons of Davos, and Melisandre uses any means available — shadow babies and leeches and fire and magic. They both want the same thing, but Davos wants to do it honorably, and that's where the dramatic clash comes from. But because Stannis doesn't want to do what he's going to do, he sidelines Davos and sends him away, because he doesn't want to look in Davos's eyes when he does this. He wouldn't be able to go through with it. And yet, he wants to get on the throne. And he's convinced Davos wouldn't let him do it — Davos would sacrifice himself just to save Shireen. So he has to get him out of the way.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And there was this too:
https://games.yahoo.com/news/game-thrones-just-delivered-huge-162109332.html
Apparently it's from Martin, not from the showrunners...

-----------------

Predictions for the finale?

Qre:us

AVOIDING READING THREAD!!! MY EYES!! THEY BURN AT THE RESISTANCE!!!

My stupid satellite went Valar Morghulis, yesterday, so I haven't watched it yet!

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And there was this too:
https://games.yahoo.com/news/game-thrones-just-delivered-huge-162109332.html
Apparently it's from Martin, not from the showrunners...

Shireen getting burned is probably from Martin, but I'm not sure if Stannis will be the one to do it. In the books, Melisandre, Shireen, and Selyse are still at the Wall while Stannis and his army are trapped in the blizzard a few days away from Winterfell.

And no comments on the finale, as I think several stories will fit the books pretty closely, and a few others will be modified versions of what's in the books.