• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Game of Thrones!

Swivelinglight

Permabanned
Tyrion sent Myrcella to Dorne in Season 2 while he was acting Hand of the King... for reasons I can't exactly remember.

IIRC Tyrion said to different people (varus, little finger, pycelle) that he was sending one of Cersei's children to different places to see who was informing for Cersei. Turned out only pycelle was dumb enough to tell the queen, and so Tyrion did what Pycelle told Cersei, which is sending Myrcella to Dorne.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Rewatching Season 1, now that I know who everyone is and much of the plot.

Episode 2: Jaime tells Tyrion that Bran would be better off being dead rather than a grotesque monster (aka paralyzed). "I couldn't settle for that, give me a good clean death any day." [Irony]

Jon gives Arya "Needle." It's why she can't part with it easily, seasons later.

I had forgotten how strong Cat was. "I can't do this," she tells Ned. "Not again." He tells her she can. And she does... to the bitter end.

Sansa lies because she can't choose whether to support her sister or Joffrey. Thus starts the abuse of Sansa, this first time at Cersei's hands -- her dog Lady is killed in lieu of Arya's. Sansa's been at the receiving end of unfairness ever since, although originally she wanted Joffrey's attention and essentially sold out her sister, which resulted in herself being punished.

Robert doesn't seem to like his kids much. (And he asks Joffrey in disdain if he let a little girl disarm him.) He doesn't seem to like Cersei much either. It was all political, obviously (since his heart was with Lyanna). He's like the corporate exec in the 50's who just has the home and kids as part of the successful image but would much rather just always be out working or drinking/partying.

Cersei also talks about a valid heir of Robert's, who died as a baby from sickness -- I had forgotten about that.

Episode 3: Interesting exchange between Jorah and one of the horse riders -- they're discussing armor, and Jorah admits that plate/metal keeps you alive, but it does slow you down. the rider says that less armor means you move more quickly. That's pretty much a description of the Mountain/Viper fight seasons later.

Cersei instructs Joffrey on broader strategy -- it seems like she's forgotten a bit since. But he does say, "So this mean the Starks ARE the enemy?" and she says, "Our enemy is anyone who is not us [Lannisters, in her mind]." That's pretty much always been her modus operandi.

Arya is a leftie. Her trainer is a righty. He also keeps calling her "boy" and finally when she insists she's a "girl," he says, "Boy? Girl? What's it matter? You are a sword." This kind of foreshadows her relinquishing her identity later and becoming a sword very much so... or at least a bringer of death.

Episode 4: When Sam shows up, he is beaten mercilessly and has to be protected by Jon (and eventually the other guys). he says he'll never be any good at defending himself but he's very much a whiner and useless. a contrast to the very last episode, when he's alone and stands up to two guys who also beat him up badly because he still sucks at fighting... but he doesn't back down.

Many clues before Episode 6 that Vanerys is not the dragon, such as when the handmaiden spills wax on him and he says ouch. Heat bothers him. Daenerys already has figured out that Vanerys can never command an army and will never get her "home."

The handmaiden says she has seen many things, including a "man who could change his face."

The guy who Jon executes at the Wall this season is still head of the guard at this point.

Oh, and really interesting -- Theon was ALWAYS a thrall. he's like the little bitchy patsy throughout season 1. "Oh, Lord Stark won't like that" blah blah blah. Seriously, he's running around just being a mouthpiece for whoever is in charge at Stark Central, based on his understanding of the rules. The only difference between old Theon and Reek is that Ramsay felt the need to completely break Theon versus letting him choose thralldom. But it's not like Theon was very independent or self-directed before that.

Last edited:

Qre:us

It's kept vague on purpose - partly to mask plot holes created when characters move around. (I believe it takes something like a month to travel from Winterfell to King's Landing via the King's Road, for example.) Tyrion sent Myrcella to Dorne in Season 2 while he was acting Hand of the King... for reasons I can't exactly remember. So this episode has basically established that on the TV show, around 3 years have passed since the middle of season 2.

I thought it was to secure an alliance with Dorne (and get resources), through marriage, and the reasoning Tyrion also gave Cersei was that it would also keep her safe, and away, from the impending war. Given that Stannis was on the loose and doing his rebellion thing.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
IIRC Tyrion said to different people (varus, little finger, pycelle) that he was sending one of Cersei's children to different places to see who was informing for Cersei. Turned out only pycelle was dumb enough to tell the queen, and so Tyrion did what Pycelle told Cersei, which is sending Myrcella to Dorne.

I thought it was to secure an alliance with Dorne (and get resources), through marriage, and the reasoning Tyrion also gave Cersei was that it would also keep her safe, and away, from the impending war. Given that Stannis was on the loose and doing his rebellion thing.

Yeah, it was kind of all that... and it also said a lot about Tyrion, because little girls are treated like chattel and objects to be sold off for the most profitable arrangement, and meanwhile Tyrion sent his niece to a place where they respect their women. (Doran refuses to use Myrcella as a way to punish King's Landing.) Sure, he knew it would hurt Cersei, but it was also in Myrcella's best interests.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ah, that makes sense. Typical Tyrion - killing several little birds with one stone.

Book spoilers (related to characters show watchers haven't been introduced to yet):

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Potential Season 6 Show spoilers, based on current casting calls:
Casting News Reveals 5 Major Spoilers For 'Game Of Thrones' Season 6

(I find the first one the most interesting, since we've had arguments here about some particular events already occurring in the show... I also only see the first one as maybe a "major spoiler".)

EDIT: Udog thought some of the stuff was more "spoilery" than I did, so I will note that here. Read at your own peril, I guess.

---

Speculations about Littlefinger
Just what the heck is Game of Thrones' Littlefinger up to anyway? - Vox

According to comments, he was more carefully manipulative in the book plot. I do think that, at least on the TV show, he comes across as being more about "create chaos for major players, slowly weeding them out, until the dust settles and the survivors are a small enough pool to be manipulated easily."

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Did anyone see this?

Finally watched it... hilarious. I loved how they got much of the cast involved, and if you know the show some of the interplay was really really funny.

Favorite bit:

10 things we learnt about Ramsay Snow actor Iwan Rheon - Telegraph

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

The lady says Rheon was really good in a British show called Misfits. She's kind of an anglophile... she's very into Dr. Who. (2/3 of the woman I've been with have been Dr. Who fans.) I asked her if the actor was Welsh (the name is very unusual), and she said she didn't know. Wikipedia confirms that he is Welsh.

Here are the full lyrics of the song that Bronn was singing:
Code:
The Dornishman's wife was as fair as the sun,

and her kisses were warmer than spring.

But the Dornishman's blade was made of black steel,

and its kiss was a terrible thing.

The Dornishman's wife would sing as she bathed,

in a voice that was sweet as a peach,

But the Dornishman's blade had a song of its own,

and a bite sharp and cold as a leech.

As he lay on the ground with the darkness around,

and the taste of his blood on his tongue,

His brothers knelt by him and prayed him a prayer,

and he smiled and he laughed and he sung,

"Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done,

the Dornishman's taken my life,

But what does it matter, for all men must die,

and I've tasted the Dornishman's wife!"

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, Iwan is Welsh.

I actually watched part of this three-episode season of "Residue" on Netflix last night, and he's in that. (The most disturbing element is watching him mess around with Tonks/Osha... I keep expecting him to pop up with a crazy look on his face and torture her.) Seriously, for American audiences, he might have the same issue Ted Levine had after playing Jame Gumb in tSotL... gaaa.... hard to trust him.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
OMG. That (episode 8) might be the best episode all season. Usually each episode has a high moment and then some sucky stuff, and I'm having trouble recalling anything sucky. Just when you think something is the high point, the next scene takes its place.

And I really, really like how they gave that last 15 minutes or so time to breathe -- they left space to linger on stuff. It just deepened the ambiance and horror of everything. Just kind of blown away.

Questions/comments about the episode:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
OMG. That (episode 8) might be the best episode all season. Usually each episode has a high moment and then some sucky stuff, and I'm having trouble recalling anything sucky. Just when you think something is the high point, the next scene takes its place.

And I really, really like how they gave that last 15 minutes or so time to breathe -- they left space to linger on stuff. It just deepened the ambiance and horror of everything. Just kind of blown away.

Questions/comments about the episode:

All I could say was - Holy shit Game of Thrones.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That was a very strong episode, from start to finish. I really appreciate the work that went into even the little things, like how busy and alive the Braavos canals were while Arya was selling her oysters.

Since the episode has aired everywhere, I'm removing the spoiler tags:

Does Jon Snow's Valyrian steel sword have dragonglass in it? Or does v-steel do that? Or was that just him? I can't tell you what I would have done differently with that siege. I'm not sure how many times I said f*ck under my breath during that whole bit. It started bad (with the folks trapped outside the wall and absorbed into the army) and just got worse, and worse, and worse. Seeing the walkers mounted up on the cliff staring at the town and Jon... I love how they just lingered on those shots. And then as Jon is standing in the boat.

Heh. 4 horsemen of the apocalypse. Nice touch.

We don't know how Valyrian steel is made, but it's rumored that there's dragon fire and magic involved. Human sacrifice was very possibly involved as well, knowing how magic works in the world of Game of Thrones.

Looks like next week Ramsay is gonna go all Special Forces or something.

*sigh*

Ramsey is going to take off his shirt, release his hounds, and defeat Stannis' entire army, isn't he?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Another positive note about last night's episode: Its total avoidance of the dismal Dorne plotline. That would have marred an otherwise excellent episode... so even more kudos!

That was a very strong episode, from start to finish. I really appreciate the work that went into even the little things, like how busy and alive the Braavos canals were while Arya was selling her oysters.

Yes, it was a minor plot in an episode full of some amazing / long-awaited sequences, and that level of detail made it pop nicely.

Heh. 4 horsemen of the apocalypse. Nice touch.
Snowpocalypse. ha.

We don't know how Valyrian steel is made, but it's rumored that there's dragon fire and magic involved. Human sacrifice was very possibly involved as well, knowing how magic works in the world of Game of Thrones.

...which segues nicely back to Melisandre. huh.

Which reminds me, i guess we'll see how Stannis decides to play the next bit with Shireen.

*sigh* Ramsey is going to take off his shirt, release his hounds, and defeat Stannis' entire army, isn't he?

He's part of a big triangle with Stannis and Brienne now, apparently... although maybe not the kind of triangle to which he is accustomed.

Like... who will Brienne go for now? PROBABLY Stannis, after her speech about Remly, but... I dunno.

Oh, and she's armed with Oathkeeper, the sword of Valyrian steel... the remnants of Ned Stark's sword, incidentally. Kind of a lot of various plot points intersecting here, now, at Winterfell.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wow what an awesome episode.

Intense, scary episode. Zombies are scary.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Still haven't seen it yet. I was hanging out with my girlfriend and her friends. I'm trying to avoid reading too much about it, but I'm very excited about it. I hope it lives up to the hype!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ygritte did a lot of things for Jon Snow, including giving him a connection with the Wildings as well as stirring up his heart so that he stopped being so aimless and indecisive.

Qre:us

I want more ACTION!!!

Ask (in an obscure online personality forum), and it shall be granted!

I don't know what the title for this episode is, but in my head, I'm calling it, "Winter is (almost) here!"

It was great to see Danerys finally meeting with Tyrion. He's the only major character that has "seen" all three worlds now, and has the intelligence to know how the pieces fit together, including the weak spots in each. He knows Westeros politics inside and out, he has been to the Wall, and has been made aware of its need, including the wildling factor, and was there, when Jon first joined the Night's Watch, and finally, now, he's seen the wildcard, Danerys and her fringe army.

Will be interesting, how he moves the story along, connecting the pieces together.

Jorah, still doing penance, and still haplessly in love with Dany (lol at Tyrion for calling that out). He's gonna earn back her trust, come hell or grayscale, or well, die trying....
More thoughts on this: I feel for Jorah, as he delivers Tyrion to Dany, and Tyrion takes on the position (Hand of The Queen), which he had coveted before his exile. It's poignant, his sacrifice, in the name of love, for the greater good. I have a feeling that right before he dies, he will be redeemed because Varys will come into the mix, the one who Jorah had been supplying the information about Dany to (his 'betrayal'), and Varys will reveal his identity (as a Targaryn), and that he was working for Dany, and in that way, Jorah was actually helping Dany/for her own good. I think Jorah knows about Varys.

I like how the other three are coming to a head:
- Ramsey and his epic army of 20 (he's going to pay for his arrogance, which I'm gleefully looking forward to)
- Stannis and his warm-blooded army, and his moral dilemma of sacrificing his child
- Brienne, choosing between her oath to keep Sansa safe, which would place her bets with Stannis and his side, or, avenging Renly's death, which would place her bets with Ramsey & Co.
(I feel like Theon is a fourth wildcard in this merging plots...not just Theon but his legacy. There was something to Sansa insisting that he finds his identity again, Theon GREYJOY, the only surviving son of the GREYJOYs....)

Cersei.......omg, how the mighty have fallen. Literally. That was very uncomfortable to watch (I winced), when Cersei licked the water off the floor. Wow! Powerful, indeed. Although it is her 'just desserts', I couldn't help but feel for her. She has no one, except Qyburn. Not even her own son would come visit her, as he is still only a boy, dealing with his own overwhelming emotions, of all that is happening.

The last scene, with the Whitewalker Leader and Jon, the face-off, wow. As he slowly raises his hands, turning all the fallen wildings into wights........as if saying to Jon, "Thank you for my army. We shall see each other soon."

How is it that the boat was not being paddled? Just floating? There's only a few feet of water separating you and the undead, paddle faster you idiots!!!!

I loved the giant, glad he's coming to the Wall with them. He also was the last one with the dragonglass, so I have a feeling he has taken the dragonglass with him, the one Jon was searching for.

I don't understand the MO of the Whitewalkers. They're sentient beings, as opposed to the wights, who just follow order to KILL, KILL. The Whitewalkers, how are they created? Like the little baby in previous season (the wilding baby?). I.e., Whitewalkers, how do they procreate? Only living beings can be turned to Whitewalkers? While wights are turned only once dead? Also, the Whitewalkers, given that they are sentient beings, with some intelligence, seem like they have plans, long-term goals, can stategize, etc. Kind of confused as to their history. Who are THEY?

Also, the third zombie groups, that have not been mentioned more..........the fire ones. The ones who are brought back from the dead through the Fire God. The one that Mellissandra came across, with Gendry and them? In the cave, or something? A guy who has a special talent to ask the Fire God to bring people back from the dead?

Wonder how/if that will factor in, in the eventual battle between the living and the 'dead'. And, ofc, Bran & The Children, the only ones who has historic memory of how to defeat the Whitewalkers, eons ago.

Really enjoyed this episode, can't wait for the next two. Can't believe only two more episodes left!

Love how all the stories are converging (slowly) together, tying into one another.

Nicodemus

[...] Varys will reveal his identity (as a Targaryn) [...]
I think it is very unlikely and would very much diminish his character if he were indeed a Targaryen.

As for Jon's ice-splitting: Azor Ahai or Valyrian steel? I hope it is the first hint at the former.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Varys is my favorite spider ever.

... I bet the whole story is just a meta-game of Go between Varys (white) and Littlefinger (black).