• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Game of Thrones!

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Just going to put this in a spoiler - it's speculation, but touches on the general topic in MSG's spoiler...

You and I are clearly on the same wavelength. That's been my opinion except for your musings on Jon's parentage. I just recently came across that theory, and haven't decided what I think of it. But its been somewhat clear to me for a little while that getting the two of them together was the way things seemed to be heading the whole time.

One of my favorite parts of the story is how the vast majority of Westeros and Essos are all wrapped up in the comings and goings and petty battles of their lords and ladies, while there is this whole bigger fight brewing with winter coming.

Part of me hopes that they are still fighting amongst each other when the winter comes and they get overwhelmed for a bit before they (inevitably) unite to deal with the bigger threat.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You and I are clearly on the same wavelength. That's been my opinion except for your musings on Jon's parentage. I just recently came across that theory, and haven't decided what I think of it. But its been somewhat clear to me for a little while that getting the two of them together was the way things seemed to be heading the whole time.

One of my favorite parts of the story is how the vast majority of Westeros and Essos are all wrapped up in the comings and goings and petty battles of their lords and ladies, while there is this whole bigger fight brewing with winter coming.

Part of me hopes that they are still fighting amongst each other when the winter comes and they get overwhelmed for a bit before they (inevitably) unite to deal with the bigger threat.

Regarding last night, did anyone realize that it featured a dick in a box?

Speculation... however, many of this stuff is based on things that were already featured by this point in the books, and the show may choose to introduce later on.

I was surprised that they set up Stannis heading North this early.

Nicodemus

Thanks for clearing that up, I couldn't remember if that was the same guy or not.
He has longer hair, but it is the same actor.

As for the ice and fire thing, I believe it simply stands for the forces of the dragons (fire) and the Others (ice). There are three dragons, all of which need to be flown by someone. I believe the people flying them will be in the same camp rather than in opposing ones.

Lark

I really loved the role of the ould Irish guy in the show this week, the guy who has only recently learned to read with the assistance of the wee lass who has the dragon looking scales on her face, I wasnt very sure about this guy because he has made what would appear to be poor(ish) choices in the past and continues to support that dick face I dont like who is in league with the witch.

Although I really, really liked the fact that he's continued to say that he's not a fan of sorcery and hasnt been so easily swayed by signs and wonders into believing what the witch believes, even if he thinks that Gods are just stories to get frightened children through the night, I absolutely loved the fact that when everyone was doing this fucked up kind of moral calculation saying what is one life in the balance against millions and stuff like that that he was answering "everything" and nailed his colours to the mast by taking the young boy they were fixing to sacrifice out and putting him in a boat, it wasnt all talk.

I also liked the fact that the little one was able to sneak the knife from your big guy and went and stabbed up the asshole who was boasting about offing her brother, that debt isnt paid in full but I think its something after the shock of last week and that stunt they pulled with the corpse and the pigs head this week. Like I've said before if I'd been Robb Stark I'd have massacred that old ass wipe for dissing my wife instead of getting taken out like a bum at the feast. He was too nice as it turned out, just like Ned.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I really loved the role of the ould Irish guy in the show this week, the guy who has only recently learned to read with the assistance of the wee lass who has the dragon looking scales on her face, I wasnt very sure about this guy because he has made what would appear to be poor(ish) choices in the past and continues to support that dick face I dont like who is in league with the witch.

Although I really, really liked the fact that he's continued to say that he's not a fan of sorcery and hasnt been so easily swayed by signs and wonders into believing what the witch believes, even if he thinks that Gods are just stories to get frightened children through the night, I absolutely loved the fact that when everyone was doing this fucked up kind of moral calculation saying what is one life in the balance against millions and stuff like that that he was answering "everything" and nailed his colours to the mast by taking the young boy they were fixing to sacrifice out and putting him in a boat, it wasnt all talk.

I also liked the fact that the little one was able to sneak the knife from your big guy and went and stabbed up the asshole who was boasting about offing her brother, that debt isnt paid in full but I think its something after the shock of last week and that stunt they pulled with the corpse and the pigs head this week. Like I've said before if I'd been Robb Stark I'd have massacred that old ass wipe for dissing my wife instead of getting taken out like a bum at the feast. He was too nice as it turned out, just like Ned.

They haven't had enough time to characterize Stannis properly. While he is a stubborn boor sometimes, you get to see just how true to his code and honorable his is in the books. Daavos (the irish guy you mention) is almost a lowborn version of Stannis that doesn't take his stubbornness to such extremes.

I wish they had done a better job of explaining the past between Daavos and Stannis because that story really sets the stage for telling you what both men are all about.

On the (maybe not so) bright side, without Catlyn and Robb and Talisa hogging screen time, we might get to spend a little bit more screen time and characterize some of the (seemingly until now) ancillary characters.

Daavos does rule, and the guy they got to play him has done a cracking job in my book thus far.

Yeah, Stannis has a kind of dour uprightness in the books that the show has completely failed to capture so far.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
The more I think about it, Charles Dance has been a delight.

Tywin, at least thus far, has to go down as one of the most Gangster motherfuckers ever.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
And he hasn't even read the books.

What do you think of Nikolaj Coster-Waldau's portrayal or Jaime?

He did a good job with the first two seasons for me, but with the growth in opportunities for Jaime as a character this season (in A Storm of Swords) Waldau has certainly risen to the challenge marvelously.

I look forward to see how he does moving forward.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What do you guys think of Roose Bolton? He looks different than I imagined him from the books, but I think the actor's got the quiet demeanor underlying the cruelty down pretty well.

Can't wait to see him take a larger role in future seasons.

I'm also glad that I called the Walder Frey/ Roose Bolton scene. That's one of my favorite things about the show, when they add conversations like that between characters we never see interact with each other in the book.

I wanted to see the Dreadfort, stronghold of House Bolton, on the opening credits map, but I'm assuming that will show up in future seasons. Replacing Winterfell, perhaps?

Nicodemus

What do you think of Nikolaj Coster-Waldau's portrayal or Jaime?

He did a good job with the first two seasons for me, but with the growth in opportunities for Jaime as a character this season (in A Storm of Swords) Waldau has certainly risen to the challenge marvelously.

I look forward to see how he does moving forward.
I think he gets him right with regards to the books, whether he is trying to or not. Charles Dances, as I said, has not read the books. His portrayal is good because the screenplays are good and capture well the essence of his character. The only thing off about Coster-Waldau is that he is not an imposing person, physically, as Jamie ought to be. A young Dolph Lundgren would have been better. But I don't like Lena Headey, neither her portrayal of the character nor her physical appearance. The screenplays are probably to blame for the former. I think she would have been fine as Catelyn.

What do you guys think of Roose Bolton? He looks different than I imagined him from the books, but I think the actor's got the quiet demeanor underlying the cruelty down pretty well.
He is good, yes, but I would have preferred him to look more like Roose, too.

Replacing Winterfell, perhaps?
I doubt it.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
t I don't like Lena Headey, neither her portrayal of the character nor her physical appearance. The screenplays are probably to blame for the former.

They seemed to have changed the character a bit for the TV show and made her more sympathetic. In the books, she tends to consider Joffreý's "boldness" a positive quality.

I think she gives a good performance, but the character is changed quite a bit from the books. I wonder what she'll look like in season 5.

Nicodemus

They seemed to have changed the character a bit for the TV show and made her more sympathetic. In the books, she tends to consider Joffreý's "boldness" a positive quality.
Yes. Surprisingly, though, most people who only know the show still hate her. But perhaps for other reasons.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As for the ice and fire thing, I believe it simply stands for the forces of the dragons (fire) and the Others (ice). There are three dragons, all of which need to be flown by someone. I believe the people flying them will be in the same camp rather than in opposing ones.
This is more along the lines of what I was thinking about the meaning of the title. But obviously there are certain characters associated with the two sides -- Danny with the dragons, Bran and Jon with the ice. So I suppose it's a combination of those things. I think GRRM has just built up the Westeros plot so much to show that all of that is child's play compared to the grand scheme of things?

I'm also glad that I called the Walder Frey/ Roose Bolton scene. That's one of my favorite things about the show, when they add conversations like that between characters we never see interact with each other in the book.
I think that's the strength of the show, and I like it a lot as well. It might of come across of bland and boring to describe in text. And GRRM is able to convey those subtleties in other ways.

There are a lot of tweaks the show has made simply because it's hard to translate on film, but I'm starting to wonder if some of these tweaks are to make small separations from the book in order to keep book readers interested (not like we need more incentive!). But for instance:

From book 3 (I think?):

On a side note, I'm disappointed they failed to build up the Black Fish's awesomeness.

Scheherezade

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
i just hope GRRM finishes writing the series,
nothing would be worse than leaving the epic unfinished

R

Riva

I haven't read the books but have read a bit about few of the characters. I was upset the author decided to make Roose Bolton such a one sided/dark character. It was interesting to see and how i/we felt about such a wicked amoral man (in the books) working for the side of the north whom we were to see (in simple) as justice seekers or good. But with what he chose to do here his character simply became simple. However there is still a part in me that thinks/hopes that he will change. This is mainly due to seeing sympathy in him in the way he treated his psychopath bastard son. Then again he did so probably he realized it was his son.

His potrayal in screen however I like also his son's. In the books they sound cartoonish.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I think he gets him right with regards to the books, whether he is trying to or not. Charles Dances, as I said, has not read the books. His portrayal is good because the screenplays are good and capture well the essence of his character. The only thing off about Coster-Waldau is that he is not an imposing person, physically, as Jamie ought to be. A young Dolph Lundgren would have been better. But I don't like Lena Headey, neither her portrayal of the character nor her physical appearance. The screenplays are probably to blame for the former. I think she would have been fine as Catelyn.

I've found that most characters aren't as big as they are in the books. Even Sandor and Gregor.

Besides being fat enough, Marc Addy wasn't big enough to play King Robert.

That being said, I would agree that maybe he isn't as big as Jaime in the books, but he's still a big guy. He's gotta be about 6'2" and 190-210 lbs.

He looks like Jaime should look in the face though. I think I've been surprised at how good of an actor he's turned out to be.

Initially I thought they'd just gotten some pretty face to play Jaime, but I've been pleasantly surprised by how the casting has turned out.

Grey Worm is way to small to be the leader of the unsullied. That for me has been one of the bigger casting size issues.

Lark

7214_10151805815390561_1331372102_n.jpg

Attachments

• Game of Thrones Iron Throne and Me.jpg
    Game of Thrones Iron Throne and Me.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 83

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've found that most characters aren't as big as they are in the books. Even Sandor and Gregor.

Besides being fat enough, Marc Addy wasn't big enough to play King Robert.

He did a good job, though. I watched the episode with that scene between him and Cersei discussing their relationship, and it worked. The mutual hatred in that scene is amazing.

Given how they've changed Cersei, though, I wonder how future seasons will play out.

Speculation about possible spoilers.