• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Game of Thrones!

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Regarding the season finale:

Nicodemus

My guess:

Here's the official synopsis for the finale:

Joffrey challenges Tywin. Bran tells a ghost story. In Dragonstone, mercy comes from strange quarters. Dany waits to see if she is a conqueror or a liberator.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Not aimed only at you, but you guys might consider being a little more descriptive with your spoilers (i.e. "4th-5th book spoilers"), since not everyone in this thread has read (all of) the books. Since pretty much every post is spoiler tagged, it's not at all clear whether the spoiler tag is for something like the event in the last episode vs. an event that may not appear for another year or two on the show, like the one(s) you mention here.

I realize the fight against spoilers on the internet will never be won, but sometimes people like to discuss a show but still want to experience the show without knowing what will happen. I'm not one of them, since I've read the books, but I know they exist. :)

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Not aimed only at you, but you guys might consider being a little more descriptive with your spoilers (i.e. "4th-5th book spoilers"), since not everyone in this thread has read (all of) the books. Since pretty much every post is spoiler tagged, it's not at all clear whether the spoiler tag is for something like the event in the last episode vs. an event that may not appear for another year or two on the show, like the one(s) you mention here.

I realize the fight against spoilers on the internet will never be won, but sometimes people like to discuss a show but still want to experience the show without knowing what will happen. I'm not one of them, since I've read the books, but I know they exist. :)

Noted.

I read all five over the summer two years ago, and I can't quite remember what happens in which book.

Must be getting old.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm actually a little fuzzy on that myself (and for all I know they'll switch around the order like crazy for the show anyway). It'd be nice to know whether spoilers are for the books vs. the show though, since it kinda sucks to get spoiled about events in the distant future - takes away the element of surprise which is a really critical part of why GOT is so entertaining, IMO (I randomly ran into a spoiler for the very end of the 5th book somewhere completely unrelated online, and it was annoying to read the book with that in mind - changes how you read it).

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm actually a little fuzzy on that myself (and for all I know they'll switch around the order like crazy for the show anyway). It'd be nice to know whether spoilers are for the books vs. the show though, since it kinda sucks to get spoiled about events in the distant future - takes away the element of surprise which is a really critical part of why GOT is so entertaining, IMO (I randomly ran into a spoiler for the very end of the 5th book somewhere completely unrelated online, and it was annoying to read the book with that in mind - changes how you read it).

This is a valid point. I think I'm probably overly cautious about this, because I had the equivalent events spoiled for me in the book, as well as Ned Stark's death. That being said, the story was good enough that it was shocking even though I was spoiled.

I'm re-reading the 4th book, and I'm liking it better than I did the first time around. Book 4 is about three things. (vague spoilers)

At the time, I only appreciated the second part, because I wanted to know more about those houses. Now, knowing what is trying to be done with the 1st and 3rd parts, and focusing on those themes, I'm able to view it as more than just tying up loose ends from the first three books.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Finally caught up to the last episode in the show. Yayyy another spoiler button. (regarding the aftermath of the red wedding)

And what I think the next episode will end with:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Most of that stuff can't fit into the next episode.

Spoilers for rest of season 3/season 4

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just saw the last episode. WTF. Won't be anyone left before long.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Just saw the last episode. WTF. Won't be anyone left before long.

:laugh: That's what I thought when Ned Stark got the ax. (Spoilers: Ned Stark is dead.) And now, even though you see how influential his death was, it feels so far away ago... like, it mattered, clearly, but the story did not fall to pieces with his passing. Everything keeps on moving.

R

Riva

I haven't read the books and since the central focus of the 1st few episodes were the starks for me they are the central characters. So seeing them die without having a sense of where the show is going (justice being served) is upsetting. Also they wanted to be left alone. So the whole affair feels unjust. yes I do understand that the characters aren't that black and white (except for maybe cersi and joeffry) but the starks are surely 'white' characters compared to the rest of the gray ones. Even tywin is a gray character. He is simply trying to protect his family, which to him is the only right thing to do and he doesn't seem persue any selfish gains. Even Danny's character is a 'good' character but she is a conquerer. Take back what is hers maybe but she is taking a willing risk against the people who thought they didn't need her/her family anymore. So if she wins she deserves it, if she loses it was a risk that didn't pay off. The starks are not the same. It's a matter of 'survival' and just for them. However Robb should have recognized stanis as the king. It was kind of confusing why he didn't do so. (Was it clear in the books?) If the starks did a mistake that was it (and not keeping his word to frey of course).

R

Riva

:laugh: That's what I thought when Ned Stark got the ax. (Spoilers: Ned Stark is dead.) And now, even though you see how influential his death was, it feels so far away ago... like, it mattered, clearly, but the story did not fall to pieces with his passing. Everything keeps on moving.
So true. I thought the show would feel meaningless without him. Now I almost can't remember him. Goes to show how well the story is written and the advantages of having so many characters. But like I said above the starks seem so central to the show and therefore even if there would be a satisfying ending it would feel like some of the important (your favourite) characters aren't there to enjoy it. Also something that the book doesn't have to worry about but the show would have to is the actor factor. People/fans could start to identify with the actors as much as with the characters. Of course I realize that the latter point is thinking too much to it.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
So true. I thought the show would feel meaningless without him. Now I almost can't remember him. Goes to show how well the story is written and the advantages of having so many characters. But like I said above the starks seem so central to the show and therefore even if there would be a satisfying ending it would feel like some of the important (your favourite) characters aren't there to enjoy it. Also something that the book doesn't have to worry about but the show would have to is the actor factor. People/fans could start to identify with the actors as much as with the characters. Of course I realize that the latter point is thinking too much to it.

Yeah this is one of the unavoidable things with shows vs books. In books you can have several characters be central. In the show, fans almost require a 'main character' at all times. Naturally the Starks are central because everything happens as a result of Ned. He was the glue for the peace of the realm. But now, we'll get to shift.. we'll get to see others come to light, and learn more about characters that have been desperately needing answers until Robb, too, is a distant echo.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I haven't read the books and since the central focus of the 1st few episodes were the starks for me they are the central characters. So seeing them die without having a sense of where the show is going (justice being served) is upsetting. Also they wanted to be left alone. So the whole affair feels unjust. yes I do understand that the characters aren't that black and white (except for maybe cersi and joeffry) but the starks are surely 'white' characters compared to the rest of the gray ones.

Completely agree. This is how I feel about it exactly. There is Jon Snow but then he is sort of a Stark.